What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I can't believe he changes the tuning five or six times while he's playing! Does anyone have an ear that good?

Perfect Pitch only costs three character points, as I recall. There's got to be some people in the real world who have it.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:25 PM, Pariah said:

One of my Christmas gifts was this. I've been listening to it off and on for the past two or three days.

In_search_of_the_lost_chord.jpg

Seeing your post the other day, I realized that I hadn't ripped this album to my media server. Digging around the house revealed the reason why--I hadn't bought it when it was remastered back in 2006, and so I only had a few of the tracks from collections. Looking online, I found that a 50th Anniversary edition had been just been released with a bunch of goodies--including a 5.1 mix for the first time (the other 6 of the first 7 MB albums all had surround mixes included in the TImeless Flight box set, which were taken from the 2006 SACD releases). That arrived today, and the last CD is in the drive being extracted, while I listen to the surround mix.

15 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

I'm starting the new year with Mozart's Clarinet Concerto.

A good way to begin.I'm listening to Dvorak's Ninth Symphony, "From the New World". He wrote the work while he was living in New York working as a conductor and head of the New York Conservatory. He seemed to enjoy his sojourn in the US, and it meant that he was beyond the reach of Austrian conservatives. The American influence in the work if often touted, particularly the hymn featured in the lyrical second movement, but the Czech influence is ever stronger. (Dvorak was a persistent advocate of Czech independence from Austria. He found Austrian arrogance hard to deal with and defiantly wrote an opera in Czech and premiered it in Prague. Sadly, he didn't live long enough to see the collapse of Austria and the Czech independence he longed for all his life.)