What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

So, I'm in a record shop back in the early 90s, and I find something different in the Classical section. It claims to be an orchestral version of Pink Floyd, and it's on a fairly well-known label (RCA Records), so I decide to purchase it. How bad can it be?

Bad enough that I've now seen three covers for it, I'm guessing on the off-chance that someone will forget they have it and buy it again. Here's a link to it (Youtube apparently doesn't allow it to be embedded--probably for mental health reasons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5VKOdGhMXo

Verdi's opera Otello is, obviously, an adaption of Shakespeare's play Othello. This play brought into the world perhaps the blackest-hearted villain in all of theater -- Iago, master deceiver and twister of truths and relationships, a man who will worm himself into your confidence, pretend to be your best and only friend, and lead you on a primrose path to the destruction of everything you care about or hold dear -- all over an imagined slight. In the opera, Iago gets a chance to explain to the audience just what his view of the world is like, in this aria "Credo in un Dio crudel!"

In English -- "I believe in a cruel God!"

A great translation of the lyrics can be found here .

Verdi had a great love of Shakespeare. He also wrote operatic adaptations of Hamlet. Macbeth, and The Merry Wives of Windsor (renamed simply as Falstaff).

Fell down a rabbit hole today. "Best Rock Auditions from the Voice." only it's like from the Franchise so I'm watching Chinese guys sing Highway to Hell and Back in Black (occasionally struggled with the lyrics but damn) Anyway, I was captivated by some guy in his 50's or 60's from Norway or Holland belting out this song and not only were his vocals pretty damn good, but the song caught my ear. Never had heard it before. So I went looking for it with misheard lyrics and then again with correct lyrics. The band is Kensington, they're from the Netherlands. This is from their 2014 album Rivals (which I promptly bought and have enjoyed quite a bit)