What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

The full opera Nixon in China is too big to post here. And while I don't believe this piece appears in the opera, it illustrates the tension implied in Adams' scores.

I haven't found a good file of the "News!" aria from the opera. It's truly remarkable, though, as Nixon goes from elation at the huge opportunity he has to witnessing his own disintegration and fall into paranoia (saying "My hand is steady as a rock!" while it visibly shakes.) The opera makes Nixon very interesting and complicated, and I wanted a file of that aria to show that.

Right now I am listening to the ever-so-cinematic sounding Symphony No. 7 of Anotnin Dvorak. The Czech nationalist composer was not alive for silent movies, much less sound films, but it's hard to imagine anyone going through a composition curriculum at USC or UCLA without hearing it. I can;t hear this score without imagining it backing some epic movie's opening credits.

Makes me long for movies again...

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

What: you didn't already own it in one form or another :think:? Incidentally, around the time I obtained that O.S.T., I also picked up the a-ha album "Stay On These Roads".

I have a little less than half of the soundtracks for James Bond films, and I'm currently missing two John Barry-composed scores, From Russia with Love and Dr. No. I have the theme for the former on the album, The Best of Bond...James Bond, however.