What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

James Taylor with the artists formerly known as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir:

It's "The Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square", although when you mention that people will pretty much know who you're talking about. And, for the record, their performing secular music is nothing new. It has always depended on who the audience is.

As my eyesight gets worse, I've come to prefer audiobooks when I can get them. The Librivox website has scads of public-domain books read by volunteer readers. I just finished The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson, which I tried off-and-on to read for 30 years but never got past the first few chapters. The Night Land is a seminal work and a stunning feat of worldbuilding, but Gawd almighty the prose is bad: pseudo-archaic, prolix, with many lengthy digressions in which the narrator says what he thinks of something, why he's telling you what he thinks, and why he thinks it's important to tell you why he's telling you. The treatment of gender roles may also seem, hm, nauseating to progressive modern sensibilities. Some xhapters were a real strain even to listen through. But I'm glad that I have now "read" The Night Land.

Dean Shomshak