What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Using my new machine's optical drive for the first time.  Listening to Larry Fast's Synergy project's Audion disk, from 1981 (tagged at "New Age" on the disk purchased in 2015; that tag is badly anachronistic).  Mostly slow-moving stuff, but the musical richness of it cannot be denied.

32 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Using my new machine's optical drive for the first time.  Listening to Larry Fast's Synergy project's Audion disk, from 1981 (tagged at "New Age" on the disk purchased in 2015; that tag is badly anachronistic).  Mostly slow-moving stuff, but the musical richness of it cannot be denied.

Amazon Music HD search found the artist, and I'm currently on track 3. I'm really enjoying it.

Now on "Stomu Yamashta's" GO, from 1976.  GO was a short-lived supergroup in the mid-1970s that included Yamashta (who composed most of the content), it included Steve Winwood, Al Di Meola, Michael Shrieve, Klaus Schulze, and others.  I think it was the last disk on my "buy on sight, money no object" list that I actually acquired, in the very early 2000s.  It seems to carry the "Fusion" tag.

In a relic misfeature from the Vinyl Age, this concept album has a story unifying it, though you cannot find that information on the disk or album jacket (I read it in a magazine), and to hear the story as it was meant to be portrayed, you want to play Side B first.  In the digital age, this means listen to tracks 8 through 14 first, then 1 through 7.  Arguably the killer cut on the disk is Crossing the Line, where the lead guitar is Pat Thrall.  My wife refers to some of the cuts (in particular cuts 8 and 7, which are intended to be the opening and closing numbers respectively) sneeringly as "space music", which considering the cut titles is actually correct.

The album Pure Contours, a very obscure New Age album by John Jarvis, recorded in Nashville in 1989.  For the longest time I could find nothing of the disk on the Web at all, but it looks like someone ripped and uploaded it only a couple of months ago (the url is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEHdcyDX3HE

Jarvis is mostly a session musician, and on this disk he drew on friendships with better-known artists he had worked with in Nashville.  There's a couple of surprising songs here; Delbert McClinton sings the vocals in "Real Bad Day" (which he wrote), and Emmylou Harris sings a fine rendition in "In My Time".  If you are old enough to remember the days before large-scale cell phone use and area codes multiplied like cockroaches in a student slum apartment complex, "Real Bad Day" is a head-smack missed opportunity song whose epicness is now sadly lost in the advance of technology that makes the realization of the miss so sudden and so painful.  Finally, both "Wake-up Call" and "Inspector Barlow Goes Surfing" both are the kind of quick, get up and move songs one is not accustomed to associating with the late-1980s New Age disks.  Another of Jarvis's solo disks, Whatever Works, is much more typical of the New Age stuff from that time.

Playing disks I own still, this time Breathless by Camel (1978), one of the great if lesser-known prog rock bands; this is my favorite disk from them, though I seem to hold a minority opinion in this.  Breathless was the last album with founding keyboardist Pete Bardens in the lineup; he worked with a number of other artists, including some solo work, before he succumbed to lung cancer in 2002.  The second cut on the disk, "Echoes", is a mighty anthem of joy, and Andrew Latimer's extended guitar solo in the forever love song "Summer Lightning" is one for the ages.  This was another disk on my old buy-on-sight-money-no-object list, but I succeeded in finding it on CD back in the 1990s (I first heard it on vinyl shortly after it came out).

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Plays the Music of Rush.  (Streaming via Amazon Music HD) This one's a miss in the vein of Us and Them: Symphonic Pink Floyd. Most of the tracks are unrecognizable for the first 30 or 40 seconds, and then they will almost have the melody of the original song, but played wrong. I'm not going to link to any of the tracks, because I like all of you, and do not wish to inflict pain. 

In the Court of the Crimson King (2019 Steven Wilson 5.1 mix) by King Crimson.

This one is a 4-disc set, with one Blu-ray, and 3 CDs. The dynamics are improved over the last release (2009's 40th Anniversary set with a DVD-Audio disc), and the instrument placement is slightly different, but works really well.

Jeff Beck's solo Blow by Blow instrumental album from 1975, his most commercially successful album.  It wasn't one of the first ten CDs I wanted in my collection, but it was among the second ten.  It includes his signature piece, the cover of "'Cause We've Ended as Lovers" (written by Stevie Wonder).