What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Fish has released his final solo album, entitled Weltschmerz (he's retiring). My copy arrived today, and there's a really good 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray. He's selling the physical album only through his web store, though Amazon (US) has it as streaming files through their service. I'm really enjoying it so far. Here's track 4:

When I was in an anime club in the early 2000s we screened this series called Rozen Maiden. It is about a young hikkomori (someone who never leaves his house -- in this case out of shame after a failed entrance exam) who gets caught up in the machinations of mystically-animated porcelain dolls (who are alive in every sense, and usually quite intelligent) and gets caught up in the deadly "Alice Game" they play in a quest for true humanity. To explain how it happens would be difficult.

The most notable thing about the series, other than how dangerous porcelain dolls can be when they take things into their own hands, is the villain. Sugin Tou is a porcelain doll with a mind and soul of her own -- and those are filled with bile. She tops the scale in terms of cruelty, because when she wants someone dead she compels them to do the job themselves. She forces the human protagonist to relive all his failures, and heaps on all the abuse she can, in an effort to drive him to suicide. I have never, after all these years, forgotten that.

Here's the OP. I'm not sure whether it too is about a suicide pact; some of the lyrics suggest that while other lyrics seem to refer to other expressions of obsessive love.

The girl in the picture is Rinku, the true heroine (or anti-heroine perhaps) of Rozen Maiden. Shei s the doll who gets the protagonist into their game treats him like a slave, bosses everybody around, and so forth. She's not nice, but at least she isn't evil incarnate like Sugin Tou.