What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Did Roger Waters intend his listeners to have any sympathy at all with his protagonist?

Well, it's semi-autobiographical, so I guess that there's some attempt at generating sympathy. I'm not really sure how successful that is, however.

While I used to listen to the album a lot when I was younger, I probably only listen to it maybe once or twice a year now. I'm much more likely to put on Wish You Were Here or The Dark Side of the Moon or even Momentary Lapse of Reason.

13 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Did Roger Waters intend his listeners to have any sympathy at all with his protagonist?

11 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Well, it's semi-autobiographical, so I guess that there's some attempt at generating sympathy. I'm not really sure how successful that is, however.

While I used to listen to the album a lot when I was younger, I probably only listen to it maybe once or twice a year now. I'm much more likely to put on Wish You Were Here or The Dark Side of the Moon or even Momentary Lapse of Reason.

The protagonist in The Wall does some pretty terrible things, like assaulting his wife and joining the Neo-Nazi band. I'm not sure whether that incredible ending track is his internal method of purging himself of those misdeeds. In the real world it fixes nothing, but it implies a sort of redemption.

Whether he really is redeemed is an open question.

It must have been challenging performing the album in Berlin for the actual tearing down of the Berlin Wall. Did he cut the Nazi concert?