God Package...

Enforcer84

Re: God Package...

One of the Greek philisophers supposedly studied with the gymnosophoi ("naked philosophers") of India. I don't remember which one it was though -- my memory is telling me Diogenes or Zeno the Stoic or Pyrrho.

Ah, according to Diogenes Laertius, it was Pyrrho the Sceptic:

Diogenes Laertius (ix. 61 and 63) refers to them, and asserts that Pyrrho of Elis, the founder of pure scepticism, came under the influence of the Gymnosophists while travelling to India with Alexander, and on his return to Elis, imitated their habits of life; however, the extent of their influence is not described. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnosophists

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Norse gods were notable among world deities for being neither immortal nor unaging. Not only could they be killed, but they relied on the apples of Idun, the goddess of springtime, to retain their youth.

Pretty much all of the Aesir (the principle tribe of gods; Frey, Freya and Njord were from another tribe, the Vanir, who were initially enemies of the Aesir but later became allies) were warriors to some degree, but as far as major feats of strength and destruction only a few are specially mentioned. Thor is certainly the foremost of these. He was able to lift the world-girdling Midgard Serpent partly out of the sea on two occasions, and once wrestled the incarnation of Old Age and was only brought to one knee. His hammer Mjolnir was indeed said to shatter mountains, and always killed his foes with a single blow. Thor's son Magni was supposed to be the embodiment of strength itself; it was said that there was virtually nothing he could not lift or break. Odin's son Vidar avenged his father's death at Ragnarok from the Fenris Wolf by placing his foot in the wolf's lower jaw, grabbing its upper jaw, and tearing it in two. Vidar did have a magic shoe to help him, though. ;) Otherwise the gods could sometimes be matched in physical prowess even by exceptional humans.

The Norse gods were big on "trademark gimmicks." Many of the gods had at least one unique weapon or gadget, almost all of them named, most having special powers or qualities. Few of these gods wielded "magical powers" as we would use the term, aside from qualities related to their divine spheres of influence, such as the various weather and fertility gods, or occasional "plot device" powers in the myths about them. For the most part they were straightforward fighters. Odin was unusual as a powerful magician, particularly in the realm of necromantic divination. Loki was almost unique in being adept at changing his form. Often the dwarves and the giants possessed great magic of their own, notably illusion magic and the crafting of enchanted items.

The Northmen didn't conceive of "honor" the way that most moderns do. Breaking oaths and betraying your friends was a great evil, as was cowardice, but against your enemies winning was everything. Almost any lie or treachery was acceptable if it brought you victory - the Norse myths are full of examples.

Oldest, sure.

Most powerful? I don't know what sources you've been reading but all the mythology I've read has her being the cup bearer for the whole pantheon, who gives up her position amongst the 12 for another.

In the celestial pecking order, she don't rank too high up there.

Looking at things on the Roman side, yeah, I'd say Vesta certainly had more prestige than Hestia did in Greek religious practices.

TB

Right. She gave up one of 12 thrones, to become the only one sitting in the Center of the Circle, by the Hearth.

There are no stories I know about Hestia actually fighting. But to paraphrase Terry Pratchett, "Upon reflection, that is not very reassuring."

Call Me Vesta, as did the Romans, who erected no

statue for Me as they did for other Gods - no, for My

image they had only the hearth-fire itself, the

Eternal Flame tended by the Vestal Virgins.

Or call Me Hestia as did the Hellenes, who told a tale of how,

when Dyonysus came to be the thirteenth Olympian, and

they had but twelve thrones in the Olympic Circle, I

moved to sit by and tend the hearth fire in the

Center, the original Olympic Flame, and thus made room

for the God of Wine and Madness in the Circle.

Consider well what I did, and its meaning. I tend the

fire, I fetch the wood, I sweep out the ashes and save

them to make soap or fertilize the soil, I fetch the

water, I cook the food - and I seldom speak. Many

tales are told of the quarrels of the Gods, and of

what happens when they are crossed by mortals or other

Deities. No such tales are told of Me. Is that because

I am a timid Goddess, humble and harmless? Do you not

think She who tends the Hearth has sometimes had to

defend the Hearth? I seldom speak. I am What stands

between you, and the Cold, Hunger, and Darkness.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks some things bear repeating: "I am What stands between you, and the Cold, Hunger, and Darkness." She seldom speaks. She doesn't HAVE to.

One of these days I'd like to research what (if any) bits of Indian culture moved West in the ancient world.

As has been mentioned, the Greek kingdoms established in India after Alexander's conquests adopted Buddhism. They had strong trade ties back to the west.

As a result, you could find Buddhist monks in places like Alexandria, and other interesting things like that.

As usual, Wikipedia is as good a place as any to start (and a lousy place to stop!) when researching:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Greek_Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Buddhism

Right. She gave up one of 12 thrones, to become the only one sitting in the Center of the Circle, by the Hearth.

There are no stories I know about Hestia actually fighting. But to paraphrase Terry Pratchett, "Upon reflection, that is not very reassuring."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks some things bear repeating: "I am What stands between you, and the Cold, Hunger, and Darkness." She seldom speaks. She doesn't HAVE to.

I like that. That will be interesting to write up. An Olympian not prone to boasting? What ever will I do? :D

Who were the other twelve?

Zeus

Hera

Athena

Apollo

Ares

Aphrodite

Hephaestus

Hermes

Dionysus

Demeter

Pluto

Posidon...wait that's more than twelve...

I like that. That will be interesting to write up. An Olympian not prone to boasting? What ever will I do? :D

Yes. They are a quarrelsome lot - but no one ever quarrels with HER. And as I recall, no one asked Her to give up Her seat, either. She chose to get up and go to the Center. Most mortals see that as an act of humility, a step down. Perhaps most Gods see it that way too, or did at first. Somehow, I don't think She sees it that way.

As for powers, I'm not sure how to write this up, but consider what would happen if She CEASES to fulfill Her function for a specific being? What would become of even a God, if NOTHING stands between Him and the Cold, Hunger, and Darkness?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has a nitpick about Athena. Her owl is named Minnerva? If Minnerva is an enemy, why name the owl after Her? Or have we misunderstood something?

Yes. They are a quarrelsome lot - but no one ever quarrels with HER. And as I recall, no one asked Her to give up Her seat, either. She chose to get up and go to the Center. Most mortals see that as an act of humility, a step down. Perhaps most Gods see it that way too, or did at first. Somehow, I don't think She sees it that way.

As for powers, I'm not sure how to write this up, but consider what would happen if She CEASES to fulfill Her function for a specific being? What would become of even a God, if NOTHING stands between Him and the Cold, Hunger, and Darkness?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has a nitpick about Athena. Her owl is named Minnerva? If Minnerva is an enemy, why name the owl after Her? Or have we misunderstood something?

Inside joke. The Pretender Goddess sees it as an insult.

I think you are grossly exagerating her power and influence.

Also, people are getting hung up on her being the oldest, birth order.

Zeus was the youngest of the twelve yet was made King.

His brothers were considered at most equal to but usually lesser in power than him. So I do not give any creedence to her being powerful due to her being the oldest.

TB

Who were the other twelve?

Zeus

Hera

Athena

Apollo

Ares

Aphrodite

Hephaestus

Hermes

Dionysus

Demeter

Pluto

Posidon...wait that's more than twelve...

Aphrodite

Apollo

Ares

Artemis

Athena

Demeter

Dionysus

Hephaestus

Hera

Hermes

Poseidon

Zeus

Hades (Pluto was Roman) was never a member of the Olympian Twelve, preferring to remain in the Underworld.

I think you are grossly exagerating her power and influence.

TB

I'm pointing out that even in this brawling, contentious family, no one ever crossed Hestia or quarrelled with her. She apparently has no enemies.

Now, if you want to think that's because She is that unimportant that not even Ares or Eris bothers with Her, that not even Hermes or Pan would stoop to play a trick on Her, that Zeus and Hera just never thought to try to enlist Her in Their various conflicts and schemes, you're entitled to that opinion. It's a common enough interpretation. I just happen to think it's not the only explanation that fits.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that we're not here to start a holy war; we don't believe in 'em.

Oh, I just got The New Labors of Hercules TPB from Marvel.

Very good miniseries, and has a very cool cameo from Hades.

Check it out,

TB

I've got the series. You know, if someone besides Texiara had done the art, it would have been an all time fave. But It was good as it was. I kind of wished the fight with Abomination had been more than a few panels. :)

The Sumerian/Babylonian deities are arguably the oldest pantheon of civilization. They had a succession of leaders, as the job tended to stress them out. Marduk, son of Enki, earned the right to lead them after defeating Tiamat, much more a Cthulhu-esque opponent than that multi-headed dragon from D&D. There was an interesting write-up of the Tablets of Destiny in the 4th Ed Ultimate Mystic. Sounds like you already have a write-up for Ishtar in mind.

Bitchin'! If you get around to Marduk, warrior god with a BIG variable power pool and lots of skills will probably cover it. There wasn't much he couldn't do, he had 50 names or aspects (maybe lots of multiforms?). He also used the Net of Four Winds to bind Tiamat and shot an arrow down her gullet with a magic bow. He carried a universal antidote to protect him from her venom and rode into the battle on a chariot drawn by monstrous steeds with cool names that escape me right now. He was described as having four eyes and arms when he was born/created, but usually depicted as a human-looking warrior--the eyes probably represented keen vision or ability to look anywhere and the arms probably represent his multiplicity of powers, but being able to manifest extra limbs and eyes as needed is probably justifiable. He was the patron god of Babylon and you can find an account of him and the Sumerian origin story in the Elu Elish.

Guest steamteck

Great write ups. I'm certainly going to use some of your wonderful ideas in my campaign. You really have somm nice developements there. The gods experiences also give you a little leeway for presenting them little differently than their classical origins so they fit better with a superhero world. I'm interested in your take on Ares as he's a big behind the scenes mover in my gameworld.

Great write ups. I'm certainly going to use some of your wonderful ideas in my campaign. You really have somm nice developements there. The gods experiences also give you a little leeway for presenting them little differently than their classical origins so they fit better with a superhero world. I'm interested in your take on Ares as he's a big behind the scenes mover in my gameworld.

Buahahahahahah*cough* what was the question? :D

Thanks for the praise!

I think Ares is my next victim...we'll see how the week goes.

• 2 months later...

*Bump*

Ares, Ares, ARES!!

I will grant you dispensation so that you may watch "300" so as to get into the proper god of War mindset. But I expect a god drenched in blood, a god of tactics, comradery, brothers in arms, overcoming the impossible through shear discipline and tenacity.

Suffice it to say, in combat, I'd like to see a god that could punk your Heracles or Haephestus.

TB

Hmm, ok, but certainly give them pause before they chose to fight him one on one.

How about make him able to take a cub scout pack, a month of training, and take on the entire Russian army and WIN?!

TB

The entire Russian army currently consists of a half dozen old drunks sitting around a used laptop in a nearly empty warehouse trying to get a good offer for their last tank on ebay. Everyone else either joined the mob, started a business in Moscow, or came to America to sell kettlebell training seminars. The cubscouts have a decent chance even without the God of War.

The previous statement was meant as humor, despite the lack of a smiley. The Russian army is in fact quite formidable, and rumor has it that less than half of them are drunk at any given time.

Ares

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

75 STR 65 24- Lift 819.2tons; 15d6 [7]

27 DEX 51 14- OCV: 9/DCV: 9

50 CON 80 19-

25 BODY 30 14-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 16-

25 EGO 30 14- ECV: 8

40/50 PRE 30 17- / 19- PRE Attack: 8d6/10d6

20 COM 5 13-

25/45 PD 10 Total: 25/45 PD (12/32 rPD)

25/45 ED 15 Total: 25/45 ED (12/32 rED)

7 SPD 33 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12

30 REC 10

110 END 5

110 STUN 22 Total Characteristic Cost: 394

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 15"/30"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

202 God of War: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 135 base + 67 control cost, (202 Active Points)

0 1) Berserk Fury: (Total: 65 Active Cost, 23 Real Cost) Aid STR 5d6 (50 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2), Only When Fighting (-1/2), Side Effects (automatically becomes Berserk in combat while Aid remains in effect, can only make 11- recover rolls after all Aided points fade; -1/2), Cannot Be Used Again Until all Points Fade (-1/4) (Real Cost: 18) plus Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (15 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2), Only When Fighting (-1/2), Side Effects (automatically becomes Berserk in combat while Aid remains in effect, can only make 11- recover rolls after all Aided points fade; -1/2), Linked (Aid; (lasts only as long as Aid lasts); -1/2) (Real Cost: 5) Real Cost: 23

0 2) Fog of War: Change Environment 64" radius, -5 to Hearing Group PER Rolls, -5 to Sight Group PER Rolls, +2 Temperature Level Adjustment, Long-Lasting 20 Minutes, Multiple Combat Effects, Varying Combat Effects (88 Active Points) Real Cost: 88 9

0 3) God of Discord: Mind Control 10d6 (Human and Alien classes of minds), Telepathic (+1/4), Area Of Effect (8" Any Area; +1) (135 Active Points); Only To inflict Anger (-1) Real Cost: 67 13

0 4) Summon Legion: Summon 32 75-point beings, Expanded Class of Beings: Limited Group (see text; +1/2), Slavishly Devoted (+1) (100 Active Points) Real Cost: 100 10

120 Omniversal Weapon: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots Variable Advantage (+1 Advantages; +2) (180 Active Points); all slots OIF (Can be removed but is spiritually linked to Ares. He can summon it back; -1/2)

4u 1) Blast Weapons: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); OIF (Can be removed but is spiritually linked to Ares. He can summon it back; -1/2) 6

2u 2) Blunt Weapons: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6 (40 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF (Can be removed but is spiritually linked to Ares. He can summon it back; -1/2) 4

4u 3) Killing Weapons (Melee): Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 4d6 (5 1/2d6 w/STR) (60 Active Points); OIF (Can be removed but is spiritually linked to Ares. He can summon it back; -1/2) 6

4u 4) Killing Weapons (ranged): Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (60 Active Points); OIF (Can be removed but is spiritually linked to Ares. He can summon it back; -1/2) 6

4u 5) Psychic Weapons: Ego Attack 5d6 (Human and Alien classes of minds) (60 Active Points); OIF (Can be removed but is spiritually linked to Ares. He can summon it back; -1/2) 6

Armor of Ares, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

16 1) A Chink? In THIS armor? : Lack Of Weakness (-20) for Resistant Defenses (20 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

8 2) Commanding Visage: +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

10 3) Even Greater Defense: Mental Defense (30 points total) (13 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

60 4) Golden Armor: Armor (20 PD/20 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

16 5) I am Unmoved: Knockback Resistance -10" (20 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

36 6) Protected Senses: Hearing Group Flash Defense (15 points), Mystic Group, Sight Group (45 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

Standard Olympian Abilities

6 1) Big and Bad: Knockback Resistance -3"

20 2) Crossing the Veil to Olympus: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension) 2

18 3) Difficult to Harm: Damage Resistance (12 PD/12 ED), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (18 Active Points)

20 4) Godlike Durability: Power Defense (20 points)

9 5) Godly Senses: +3 PER with all Sense Groups

5 6) How fortunate!: Luck 1d6

29 7) Immortality: Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Extended Breathing: 1 END per Minute; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week)

12 8) Strong Willed: +12 Mental Defense (30 points total)

30 9) Tougher than Thou: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%

30 10) Tougher than Thou: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%

Pankration

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Bend Joint -1 +1 2d6 NND

4 Break Bone -2 +0 HKA 1d6 +1

4 Crush +0 +0 19d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab

4 Escape +0 +0 90 STR vs. Grabs

3 Grab -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 85 STR for holding on

3 Kick/Punch +1 +0 17d6 Strike

3 Legsweep +2 -1 16d6 Strike, Target Falls

3 Sacrifice Throw +2 +1 15d6 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls

1 Weapon Element: Blades

1 Weapon Element: Cestus

Perks

40 Erakshone : Follower: Polloxian Hound/Steed

50 The Sparta: Techno-Magic Space Battlecruiser

Deep Covers

2 1) Drugan Oparan; Mercenary Soldier: Deep Cover

2 2) Lars Cestus: Arms Dealer: Deep Cover

3 Fringe Benefit: Membership: Olympic Pantheon

3 Well-Connected

3 1) Contact: Mercenary Circles (Contact has access to major institutions) (4 Active Points) 12-

2 2) Contact: Ricollo D'Peregrine (International Arms Dealer) (Contact has useful Skills or resources) (3 Active Points) 11-

4 3) Contact: Unnamed American Captain (USMC) (Contact has access to major institutions, Good relationship with Contact) (5 Active Points) 12-

3 4) Contact: Unnamed Soviet Soldier (Contact has access to major institutions, Good relationship with Contact) (4 Active Points) 11-

Talents

3 Cat Naps: Lightsleep

3 I can see the target: Absolute Range Sense

5 I remember it like it was tuesday: Eidetic Memory

3 On my mark: Absolute Time Sense

11 Quick First Step: Lightning Reflexes: +7 DEX to act first with All Actions

37 Supreme Senses: Danger Sense (self only, any danger, Function as a Sense, Targeting Sense) 16-/13-

4 Well Mounted? : Mounted Warrior (HTH Combat)

25 What was that? Oh right.: Universal Translator 18-

Skills

10 Godly Gifts: +1 Overall

72 I..am the God of War!: +9 with All Combat

17 Raging Creativity: Power: Strength Application 21-

29 War God: Control Godlike Abilties 26-

43 Warseer: Analyze: Combat 33-

4 AK: Olympia 14-

8 Animal Handler (Birds, Dragons, Equines, Raptors, Reptiles & Amphibians) 18- (20-)

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Bureaucratics 17- (19-)

3 Climbing 14-

3 Combat Driving 14-

3 Combat Piloting 14-

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

3 Demolitions 13-

3 Fast Draw 14-

3 Feint 14-

3 High Society 17- (19-)

3 Instructor 13-

3 Interrogation 17- (19-)

3 Musical Instrument Familiarity (Aerophones) 12-

3 Oratory 17- (19-)

3 Paramedics 13-

17 Power: Brick Tricks 21-

3 Research 13-

3 Scholar

9 1) KS: Earth Military Organizations/Insignea (10 Active Points) 20-

9 2) KS: Military History: Earth (10 Active Points) 20-

7 3) KS: Military History: Pollox Galaxy (8 Active Points) 18-

9 4) KS: Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World (10 Active Points) 20-

9 5) KS: Recognize Weapon Quality (10 Active Points) 20-

7 6) KS: The Superhuman World (8 Active Points) 18-

9 7) KS: Warfare: Ancient (10 Active Points) 20-

9 8) KS: Warfare: Modern (10 Active Points) 20-

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Seduction 17- (19-)

3 Streetwise 17- (19-)

5 Survival 14-

6 TF: Mecha, Riding Animals, Science Fiction & Space Vehicles, Chariots

17 Tactics 20-

3 Teamwork 14-

3 Tracking 13-

10 Two-Weapon Fighting (HTH)

10 Two-Weapon Fighting (Ranged)

53 WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Early Firearms, Emplaced Weapons, Siege Engines, Small Arms, Arare, Atatl, Blowguns, Boomerangs and Throwing Clubs, Early Thrown Grenades, Flails, Flamethrowers, Flying Claw/Guillotine, Fukimi-Bari, Garrote, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers, Homemade Weapons, Hook Sword, Iron Mandarin Duck, Kiseru, Lajatang, Lances, Metsubishi, Nets, Off Hand, Pendjepit, Rope Dart, Shoulder-Fired Weapons, Sling, Sling Bow, Spread-The-Water Knife, Staff Sling, Staffs, Steel Olive, Steel Toad, Three-Section Staff, Thrown Chain & Rope Weapons, Thrown Sword, Urumi, Vehicle Weapons, Whips, Wind and Fire Wheels, Wishful Steel Ball

7 Weaponsmith 15-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 1347

Total Cost: 1741

600+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Godly Mein (Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

10 Hunted: Diametrically opposed Pantheon 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Mars 11- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Zeus 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

10 Psychological Limitation: Disdain for Cowards (Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Aphrodite (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Sees everything as a military conquest (Very Common, Moderate)

20 Psychological Limitation: Supremely Confident (Very Common, Strong)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Athena; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Herakles; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

10 Rivalry: Professional (Other War Gods; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry; Multiple Rivals)

10 Social Limitation: Answers to the Pantheonic Pecking Order (Frequently, Minor)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Deep Covers) (Frequently, Major)

986 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 1741

Background/History: Ares, as was his want in the day, underestimated the might, will, and wisdom of Mars. The false God played on Ares' confidence, slowly drawing him away from the others, then leading Ares into a trap. Zeus' gambit sent Ares across the universe. Ares was incensed. He was sure he could have won. His wounds were minor. He collapsed on the surface of this new world.

Ares awoke to lavish chambers with beautiful women eager to serve him. It was a few days before he sought his way from it. He came to find his benefactor was a nearly Zeus like being known as the Red Emperor. The Red Emperor asked that Ares be his guest. And if he wanted to, to take part in gladiatorial games that the Red Emperor and his favorite nobles enjoyed. Ares watched first. Then he took part. It was great sport, he faced challenging monsters, warriors, beings from a thousand worlds. Ares was pressed, but never conquered. He enjoyed the passionate cheers and the good food, drink, and companionship. He enjoyed it so much that it took him decades to realize he was a slave.

Ares wrath was terrible, he summoned legions of warriors, charged the Palace of the Emperor and slew countless guardians and generals and then...then he was crushed by the might of the Emperor.

"A simple beast." That was what the Red Emperor called him. The Emperor of a Thousand Worlds showed Ares that he was an angry dog in a world of wolves. Ares was cowed - for a time. The Emperor made Ares a General. The War God worked with other beings of nearly equal power, and with the Emperor to conquer nearby worlds by the score. All the while Ares seethed. He schemed to destroy the Emperor, to achieve victory. Over the centuries, Ares slowly began to lose his taste for slaughter. He often didn't even see the other side. Planetary defense were destroyed from great battleships orbiting their worlds. Ares began to worry that his own skills would errode. Ares began personally leading attacks; but this did not sate his thirst. He began questing, searching for a challenge, a fight. He gathered his most loyal followers and they spent years training, scheming, fighting, hunting.

One day, Ares and his trusted warriors, a few thousand at most; staged a coup. The Red Emperor knew this day would come; he had planned on it. His generals and guardians prepared to meet Ares' forces.

Ares used an altered battleship's matter transporter to abduct the Red Emperor from his palace. He demanded a duel for the Emperor's Throne. Ares did not lose a second time to the Red Emperor. Taking the Emperor's Omniversal Weapon, Ares killed the Emperor and took the throne. After a week of feasting and orgies, Ares took his cruiser, the Sparta and began his long trip home. The Empire collapsed in his wake.

Ares was found by Hephaestus' ship and joined his family in their bid to return to Olympus. The second meeting between the two pantheons was a victory for the True Gods of Olympia and Ares avenged his "Near Loss" to Mars. The Sparta rests in a specialized dock at Ares' Temple/Home in Olympus. Hephaestus has altered the vehicle so that it can enter the Lands of Legend. He now spends time on Earth, watching with interest (and occasional grim revulsion) the state of world affairs.

Personality/Motivation: His time spent with the Red Emperor of the Pollox Galaxy curbed his taste for casual bloodshed. Monitoring the world to day, he seethes with the "cowardly" means some groups choose to "Fight" their battles. He has no respect for terrorists. Ares misses the eras of battle where armies met on the field and strength and courage won glory. He's impressed with moder weaponry but misses the "simpler" times.

Ares collects and deals with ancient and unique weapons. Its one of this hobbies. He also partakes in war games on Olypian battle fields; and has played a game or two on Earth as well. He has a strained rivalry with other War Gods, and a slightly warmer rivalry within his own Pantheon, particularly Athena and Herakles. Ares has never become jaded; he is a passionate man who follows his heart (sadly his heart really likes to fight and destroy) and has had a number of flings with powerful or dynamic women who have caught his eye. (He could easily be the scion of a PC or NPC hero or villain).

Ares is not a coward or a bully. He enjoys conflict and combat and anyone who can give him a run for his money he respects. In fact, if any being proved capable of slaying the God of War, his last words would be congratulations rather than curses.

Quote: "You think you know war?"

"War is Hell? No! War is glory!"

"You call yourselves warriors? You are pathetic cowards!"

Powers/Tactics: Ares was always the beast of war. His sister Athena got the credit for being a brilliant tactician and the Goddess of Heroes. Ares was the God of Slaughter and Discord. He's not a mindless beast and never was. Ares is almost the tactician Athena is and is arguably a greater warrior; he's certainly stronger and more durable; he can use any weapon he touches, can enter a berzerker rage where he's even tougher to deal with, and his "God of War" power pool is one of the strongest among the Olympians.

Aside from his physical attributes, VPP, and Martial Skills, Ares has his armor, a gift from Hephaestus, and the Omniversal weapon, which he took from the Red Emperor when he "Retired from Active Duty". The Weapon appears in it's normal form as an golden rod with intricate sigils inlaid with a glossy black metal. It can form into any weapon Ares can think of.

Campaign Use: Ares can easily be either an Antagonist or Ally. He's mellowed some but he's still not a nice guy. Characters could get caught up in his war with Mars, find themselves on the wrong side of one of his "Training Exercises", or find that they need his expertise on a weapon of antiquity or even a mystery weapon. Ares can read the past of any weapon that has spilled blood.

Fighting him is, like fighting the other Gods, a risky endeavor. However, he can be goaded into forgoing his summoned soldiers and will fight "honorably"

Appearance: Ares looks like a romanticized soldier of old. He has a sculpted physique, shoulder-length black hair, a neatly trimmed beard and dark, brooding eyes. He tends to dress in nice suits now, oddly enough, even in the lands of Olypmpia he often wears a military style suit, black with a red tie and black shirt. When expecting trouble, he summons the armor of Ares. The Armor is a sci-fi version of Greek Hoplite armor gold over black with a red sun on the chest, a golden helm with a great red crest, gold gauntlets and boots. He occasionally wears a red cape over his left shoulder, but not always.

Okay, I've noticed since I have spaced these guys out so much that they are a bit uneven. I might have to remedy that soon.

Also, Ares lacks Find Weakness and isn't the tactical genius that Athena is. I might change that, it's just that he's already more points than she is...

TB, you think this guy could give Herk and Athena a run for their money?