Telekinetic Multitasking and Extra Limbs

Kristopher

Re: Telekinetic Multitasking and Extra Limbs

There's no reason for the area effect power. You can multi-task with tk just as easily as you can with extra limbs. Each phase you just activate another TK. I'd probably limit it to INT/5 though with skill rolls required if you are attempting to do more than INT/5.

Another way to do this is skill levels [with costs end] to offset time penalties. So if it takes you 1 hour per job, and you have 5 jobs to do, you can speed up the process using the time/skill roll modifiers. -1 drops that time to for all the jobs to 1 hour [effectively the same as doing all 5 at the same time].

In this case' date=' by "multitasking" I was just refering to the kind of thing that characters with Extra Limbs can already do.[/quote']

You can already do those things with tk. You can activate more than 1 tk at a time. One can be cooking breakfast, the other washing windows, a third flipping the remote control, etc. If you're only concerned about doing these things within a couple of feet of yourself [arms length] then just go with the extra limbs. If you want some range to be able to do things across the room then use the tk, IMO.

10 str tk, fine manipulation, limited range [4"]: -1/4. 20 points.

I don't know the page number but it should be under Basic Power Rules, near the begining of the Powers Chapter.

You can activate as many instances of a Constant Power as you can afford to pay END for.

Ah, true.

The Line of Sight rule might be a bit of a problem for the kind of things I have in mind...strictly interpreted, it would mean that the character would drop anything he was holding with TK if he turned to look at something else in such a way that it ended up behind him.

Would you need to buy Ranged for a character's sense of touch in order for them to be able to actually feel things with Telekinesis?

The Line of Sight rule might be a bit of a problem for the kind of things I have in mind...strictly interpreted' date=' it would mean that the character would drop anything he was holding with TK if he turned to look at something else in such a way that it ended up behind him.[/quote']

TK isn't LOS. The book discusses using tk to pick up and move things from any direction, not just the side facing the tk character.

Would you need to by Ranged for a character's sense of touch in order for them to be able to actually feel things with Telekinesis?

I'd assume a 10 point adder like fine manipulation would allow for that.

Ah, true.

The Line of Sight rule might be a bit of a problem for the kind of things I have in mind...strictly interpreted, it would mean that the character would drop anything he was holding with TK if he turned to look at something else in such a way that it ended up behind him.

Welp, you can look at it a few ways. How you've stated it. Or, once the power is established he can keep it up without needing to "keep and eye on it". For a minor thing like this, out of combat menial tasks, I'd got with the second.

Would you need to by Ranged for a character's sense of touch in order for them to be able to actually feel things with Telekinesis?

Ooh.. erk. My brain just argued both sides of this and put itself into a redundant loop.

Probably not, TK should let you "feel" things you use it on since it is, in a basic way, STR Usable At Range.

TK isn't LOS. The book discusses using tk to pick up and move things from any direction' date=' not just the side facing the tk character.[/quote']

That doesn't mean that it doesn't require LoS -- it's discussing something else. It's saying that the TK push or pull can come from any direction, not just straight from the character. The character still needs to be able to see the target, even if it's through a window or a Force Wall.

The last sentence of the General Rules for Constant Powers on page 69 of FREd:

However, if he loses his Line of Sight to the location of the Constant Power, stops paying END for it, or is Stunned or Knocked Out, it turns off at the end of the Segment.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't require LoS -- it's discussing something else. It's saying that the TK push or pull can come from any direction, not just straight from the character. The character still needs to be able to see the target, even if it's through a window or a Force Wall.

The last sentence of the General Rules for Constant Powers on page 69 of FREd:

"Third, a character doesn't literally have to "keep his eye on" a target at all times to maintain LOS; he just has to be able to do so if he's perceiving in that direction." 5Er page 116 under LOS.

Would you need to buy Ranged for a character's sense of touch in order for them to be able to actually feel things with Telekinesis?

I'd assume a 10 point adder like fine manipulation would allow for that.

Personally I'd say you'd need to buy Ranged for your sense of touch. Fine manipulation lets you manipulate things that require fingers to manipulate, but I don't think it allows you to feel those things.

Personally I'd say you'd need to buy Ranged for your sense of touch. Fine manipulation lets you manipulate things that require fingers to manipulate' date=' but I don't think it allows you to feel those things.[/quote']

Yes, but it's an adder that's not really necessary. The book itself says if there is plenty of time the GM can allow fine manipulation for free. And for 10 points you should gain some additional benefit. If you can manipulate fine enough to type, I'd assume that gives you some level of sensation.

"Third' date=' a character doesn't literally have to "keep his eye on" a target at all times to maintain LOS; he just has to be able to do so if he's perceiving in that direction." 5Er page 116 under LOS.[/quote']

Any idea where that might be in the book I already paid for and that I'm not going to buy again?

EDIT: The only indexed reference to Line of Sight in FREd is on page 78, under the Mental Powers rules, and says the following:

He can establish Line of Sight with any Targeting Sense; it means he has direct perception of or can perceive any part of the target with a Targeting Sense.

At least under that rule, Line of Sight requires the character to actually have a Targeting Sense "looking at" the target in order to maintain Line of Sight. Isn't it fun when the rules seem to contradict themselves?

Of course, one could argue that for the purposes of maintaining a TK hold on a target or object, whatever sense of touch the TK provides counts as a Targeting Sense.

As I said, under the strictest interpretation of the rules found for constant powers on page 69 of FREd, looking away from a target grabbed with TK would cause the TK grab to end. I don't necessarily agree with that interpretation.

There seems to have been a lot added between 5E and 5Er then [i gave my 5E away so i can't check]. There's a whole paragraph that starts: "Don't read the term "Line Of Sight" literally." First, you can establish LOS with any targeting sense. Second, can't hit any speck on the horizon. Third, what I typed above.

There seems to have been a lot added between 5E and 5Er then [i gave my 5E away so i can't check]. There's a whole paragraph that starts: "Don't read the term "Line Of Sight" literally." First' date=' you can establish LOS with any targeting sense. Second, can't hit any speck on the horizon. Third, what I typed above.[/quote']

The first and second things do follow what I typed above. The third part, the one you cited, is not in FREd.

So, with that third part you quoted from Revised, there seems to be some good support in the rules for allowing someone to maintain a TK grab if they look away from the target.

There is a section in the next paragraph of FREd, that states that Mental Powers do not have to maintain Line of Sight once they're established, but Telekinesis, unless BoECV is added, is not a Mental Power.

Yes' date=' but it's an adder that's not really necessary. The book itself says if there is plenty of time the GM can allow fine manipulation for free. And for 10 points you should gain some additional benefit. If you can manipulate fine enough to type, I'd assume that gives you some level of sensation.[/quote']

Well being able to finely manipulate things without having to take "plenty of time" works as a benefit for me. And the fact that you need to make a Telekinesis "skill" roll using range mods to sucessfully do fine manipulation even when you pay for it indicates to me that you don't actually get some level of sensation. Or that if you do, it isn't much. Along with the fact that I'm pretty sure that if they had meant for fine manipulation to give ranged touch they would've written it that way.

But hey, if you want to give out ranged touch for free when people buy fine manipulation, cool. Great house rule. I only said anything because I assumed that Kristopher was looking for what the rules say, rather than peoples house rules.

There seems to have been a lot added between 5E and 5Er then [i gave my 5E away so i can't check]. There's a whole paragraph that starts: "Don't read the term "Line Of Sight" literally." First' date=' you can establish LOS with any targeting sense. Second, can't hit any speck on the horizon. Third, what I typed above.[/quote']

Actually, it is in 5e as well. Page 116, second paragraph under Line of Sight. Same text verbatim. Though I will point out that this is the section on Mental Powers, and TK isn't a Mental Power.

Actually' date=' it is in 5e as well. Page 116, second paragraph under Line of Sight. Same text verbatim. Though I will point out that this is the section on Mental Powers, and TK isn't a Mental Power.[/quote']

I had already said it was in 5Er page 116. It's on the same page in 5E?

I had already said it was in 5Er page 116. It's on the same page in 5E?

Nevermind. That's what I get for posting and working at the same time...

:idjit:

Though the comment about this being the Mental powers sections and TK not being Mental still stands.

:D