Lovecraft genre

Guest Shadow Shulker

Honestly d20 did an average job of carrying the original CoC compaired to the original system. I'm not saying that it doesn't work, but if you sit down and play the original Chaosium version you'd understand why it was so much smoother & interesting. Best Sanity system ever!

Trying to recreate CoC in any system is a pathetic, foolish chore; there is no need for the annoying complexities of d20 or any other system. Face it: your character will die a quick, horrible death no matter what and the simple character creation in the Chaosium system is a perfect fit :)

Originally posted by Heroman

PS: The first post/this thread will probably/should probably get neutered because of the moronic use of profanity by its poster...

And I'm sure that the poster will be quite upset and unable to deal with the reality of his favorite CoC game system being challenged. He didn't like it when his superheroic game system was challenged either. As if entering the fanbase for a particular game and touting the virtues of another game isn't going to cause a bit of disagreement. Oh yeah, that's the definition of a troll. My bad. I should have remembered.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definately say that Call of Cthulhu falls within the Horror genre, and thus Horror HERO. I believe that the kind of pulp horror that CoC represents was described in the Horror HERO supplement for 4th edition and will, in all likelihood, be included in any 5th edition Horror HERO supplement.

So! Not having Horror Hero, how DO you do fright/sanity checks, ayway? Presence attacks of at least 6d6 when the Nightgaunts come down from the steeple, their leathery wings churning the air, shrill unintelligible cries rending asunder your very humanity?

How good IS HERO for horror, by the way? It strikes me as a wrong fit. Enlighten me! ROTWANG! COMMANDS!

Two key game-mechanical elements of horror games are relative helplessness of the PCs before the forces that threaten them, and the constant possibility of serious injury and death. These are actually pretty easy to do in HERO terms: keep the total points, defenses and damage capability of the heroes well below those of the menaces (characters should probably not exceed the 75 + 75 of a Standard Hero, and could be considerably lower); use all the lethality-adding optional rules (Hit Locations, Bleeding, Imparing, etc.); and in the case of Lovecraftian or other supernatural horrors, give them abilities that the PCs cannot overcome through force (Mental Powers, Desolid, Invisibility and the like).

As far as the sanity-destroying effects of Lovecraft's horrors go, HERO has provided several alternatives. Horror Hero extended the results of PRE attacks to include long-term effects (including Psychological Limitations) resulting either from very large PRE attacks, or low levels of situational stress such as fear that continue for an lengthy period. Other Hero books gave Lovecraftian monsters an actual mind-warping Power, based on Transform with the result accumulating with each exposure to the creature until the victim finally snaps. In the free Genre-by-Genre document available here on the site, Steve Long proposes an optional figured Sanity Characteristic that can be used like similar stats in other games.

So, your choice is really a matter of taste. :)

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

In the free Genre-by-Genre document available here on the site, Steve Long proposes an optional figured Sanity Characteristic that can be used like similar stats in other games.

So, your choice is really a matter of taste. :)

Oh, yeh! I totally downloaded that .pdf a'ready. I ought to have looked at it.

Arigato!

• 3 weeks later...

FYI: CoC Sanity System in D20

FYI: the sanity system in D20 is the same as the one in the Chaosium system. The took it lock stock and barrel. You have to add new characteristics to your character sheet but there it is. The D20 CoC books is actually well laid out and inspite of how much I have come to dislike D20 it does a reasonable job of it.

I haven't playd CoC seriously since around 1988. Them was the days.