Your "Character Sheet Resources"

TheQuestionMan

Re: Your "Character Sheet Resources"

I dislike the standard 2 and 3 column setups really. They make extremely ineffective use of white space. Not to mention things are often repeated and all over the place.

I decided to sit down and think .. graphically, how do you best represent the information on a character sheet in a concise manner and still have it look good.

Thus, broken into 3 sections of like information it seems to flow better.

Nevenall' date=' I really like the fields for tracking wounds. I may have to use the idea when i revise my own sheets for my Fantasy Hero game.[/quote']

Thanks!

I really like the format of your sheets, very stylish, for lack of a better word.

I don't have the electronic version handy, but the idea is more important than the details anyway. I have an "NPC control sheet" for NPC's more important than most agents but not worth a full sheet of their own. I fit three NPC's per page, each taking up the full width and 1/3 the height of the page.

The main idea is three columns: 1. characteristics, 2. powers, skills, talents, etc., 3. A catch-all (it says something like "disadvantages/equipment/notes"). At the top of each NPC, I have a bit more info.: name, "descriptor" (technically a specific mathematical term, but I couldn't think of the right word -- a few words to identify the NPC's nature, e.g. "Dr. X's bodyguard"), OVC and DCV.

If you like the idea, just take the character sheet of your choice and truncate it as you see fit.

Here's mine. I have a variant of this we use for Narosia which I will make available when the book is released. This is more for heroic level games as there is a lot of info here you don't normally use in Champs.

I really like the Publisher layout... perhaps I will craft an excel sheet inspired by that.

I am willing to make tweaks on request, if needed.

What STUN calc errors do you see, QMan. Hopefully not in my sheet.

Curse you all for "bugs up butts".

Here is an Open Office version of Jhamin's character sheet. If you don't have OO you can get it from http://www.openoffice.org/. This sheet was made using version 2 beta, so that's what you'll need. One of the cool things about OO Writer is you can have formulae in your text document. I went with the text doc approach vs. spreadsheets because it felt a little more organic and less number-y.

So, it does total points and perform basic stat calculations, but it isn't as robust as a spreadsheet. Still, for whippin' out a quick sheet it'll be handy.

I also didn't alter Jhamin's layout. I don't know as I would have implemented the sheet in the same way, but I didn't want to put my creative energy towards that so it's pretty much a copy.

Attached are 3 docs, 1 of the OO template, 1 of Scorch done in the template, and an Export to PDF direct from OO (a standard feature of OO). One thing you will notice is that the unzipped versions are the same size as the zipped versions. OO uses zip compression on all of its files (which are xml) by default.

Anyway, take a look. Hey, at least OO is free if you don't have MS Publisher.

Not a character sheet, but useful for GM's:

BartCRecordHTML.zip - Combat export record sheet that prints DEX, SPD, REC, END, BODY, STUN, CON, phases, OCV/DCV, PD, ED, ECV, and notes (combat levels). Prints characters in a format that makes it easy to see what character(s) are up in that phase, so GM's can make combat go faster. Designed for Hero Designer version 2 or greater. Print the output in your browser set to landscape with fit to page setting on. Designed by Barton.

See http://www.herogames.com/FreeStuff/HeroDesignerV2/

export templates/BartCRecordHTML.zip

I managed to load it in firefox - Safari was just not dealing with that link (the others worked fine).

As for the file size, what did you use to create these docs? Everything seems to be an image. PDF can perform compression, but if the document is nothing but images then they are usually already compressed. To get a small file size you need to leave the text as text and ensure the graphic elments are the lowest resolution you can manage while still looking nice (usually 150-300 dpi).

Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm missing just yet. I made my sheet in Photoshop and if I save it so that it retains the text it's like 15MB even if I discard the layers. If I print to a PDF then it shrinks somewhat, but I lose the searchable text. I've got Inkscape for Vector Graphics so I may try to get it to work from that.

Yeah' date=' I'm not sure what I'm missing just yet. I made my sheet in Photoshop and if I save it so that it retains the text it's like 15MB even if I discard the layers. If I print to a PDF then it shrinks somewhat, but I lose the searchable text. I've got Inkscape for Vector Graphics so I may try to get it to work from that.[/quote']

If can probably get it down in size, if you want to post the PSD file or PM and I can give you an email to send it to.

Alright here's my slightly revised version of my Fantasy Hero sheet that now features the Hero font. It's also significantly smaller.

*update* Changed sheet to be editable. Uses some Wayne Peacock code, but also figures half dice and lift amounts.