Glitter Boy for 34 points- is that sick?

fbdaury

Doing my long threatened Rifts conversion to Hero and stated out a Glitter Boy PA and it came out to final cost of 382 points. I have decided to use DC resource pools and with the starting 10 points for vehicles, it requires 382/5=77-10= 67 points. At 2 Vehicle Points for every CP, that equals 34 Character Points for the points needed for the vehicle pool to buy a GB. Is this way too easy or what?:eg:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Glitter Boy for 34 points- is that sick?

I'm also doing a Rifts conversion and would love to see your builds and would be happy to share mine. My game is a few sessions in and i'm mostly doing the conversions on the fly.

I started with the GB also as it seams to be the top dog for armor and damage...thus setting a guage to build other things.

Currently my own computer is out of commision so I post here from the communal use comps at work where I cannot bring in a desk to store info, so at this time I only have my write-ups on paper, buit If I can find a cafe or something that has internet rental this weekend I will endeavor to post something, either here or through e-mail for those interested. Short notes: I have decided against using ECs for Juicers and Crazies, instead I gave them package deals that included huge disadvantages that do not count vs, character limits. I have decided on 250 point high level heroic characters, Resource Pools will be incorporated, ala Dark Champions, and Robots are Vehicles while Power armor will be a focus(but SAMAS and GB will be counted as Robots). I have statted half the Psi section of the main book, figured out how to do magic and statted out the magic classes and have statted the following packages: Crazies, Cyber Knights, Juicers and the magic groups. I really doing it sort of piecemeal right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, just re-wrote the GlitterBoy, now it squeks in at 32 Character Points for the required upgrade to the base Resource Pool required to 'buy' this monster.

Other things that I've managed to stat up: Dog Boys; almost finished the Psi Stalker(their ability to completely drain a mage's End reserve or drain half a psychic's End pool was way more mexpensive than I expected, but it is a powerful ability, so...); the rules for Missles in the game; the basic Samas stats and a few of the Colaition classes; all but the Super Psionic powers; and I am part way through the Cybernetics/Biosystems/Bionics section of the book. Have not even started in on the skill-based classes or the Headhunter(as it requires that I finish the Cybernetics write-ups first). I want to finish the main book before branching out, since I want to focus on the more human-based aspects of the game over the new monster of the week approach that the game has gone to in their books.

I suggest you send the write-ups via Private Message.

That being said, I'm in! Myself and a friend were discussing converting RIFTS in the near future. The sooner the better.

The next day that I have plenty of Internet access and the books handy that I'm writing this up in, I'll start to send this stuff out somehow. Bang Gun, by the way, came down to 8d6 AP RKA and has an 11d6 Hearing group flash that does knockback- ths handles the kick against an unanchored bot as well as the sonic boom effect of knocking you back and deafening you at same time.

I was wondering how 1D4x10 M.D. was going to look! 8d6 AP' date=' sounds about right... :ugly:[/quote']

Naw, that's the 3d6x10 MD gun, the PA railgun I decided to go with 3d6 rka autofire 10 shots, Penetrating, 2000 charges! To make it possible from them to dent the Glamour Bouy, I also gave them alternate ammo that adds a second level of penetrating, to actually damage the 25 hardened DEF of that illustrious robot. But yeah, it's :ugly: all right!

The Glitterboy I wrote up years ago had a 25 Def (hardened) and 50% damage reduction! (75% damage reduction vs lasers)

Nah, I gave it 25 hardened and wrote it as a vehicle, so it would be very hard to do any body to it, [plus I gave it a 40 Body as well, to represent that even if you hurt it, it's damn tough! The railguns with x2 Pen rounds will be able to do 3pts. damage a shot or more with a spray (autofire 5 with these rounds), but even then it will be hard for them to easily do much harm to a GB. 40Body/3 per shot requires 14 shots to land to destroy a GB, while one shot from the Boom Gun will paste a Samas pilto quite well I would thnk. Brings new meaning to the term greasespot, it does...:nonp: Oh yeah, gave it the 50% resistant energy damage reduction vs. light based attacks only(-1)- trying to stick to the whole 1/2 laser damage thing from the original game.

Oh yeah' date=' gave it the 50% resistant energy damage reduction vs. light based attacks only(-1)- trying to stick to the whole 1/2 laser damage thing from the original game.[/quote']

Then how do you deal with Veriable frequency Lasers that by pass the 1/2 damage after a shot or two?

Then how do you deal with Veriable frequency Lasers that by pass the 1/2 damage after a shot or two?

Sounds like a limitation on the Damage Reduction to me. Normally, a general "half damage from lasers" should cover them all, right? So it's a flaw in the defense.

The way they work is the laser finds the frequency that is not reflected by the armor..it usualy takes one to tow shots before that frequency is found.

I was thinking of using Find weakness with the lasers...how would that work, they do have damage but the armor would be half defense agenst them. With 25PD/ED that still wouldn't do any damage unless the laser was penitrating.

The thing that is hard to simulate in hero is that all armor is basicly ablative in Rifts. There is no stops X amount of damage. They just have a huge amount of damage they can soak before it gets to the squishy guy inside.

I was thinking of wrighing it up as 15PD/ED and 50 Body that would simulate the original game better.

Ah, but the GB armor says "half damage from lasers." The fact that some frequency lasers do go through means that the resistance is not as potent as advertised. In that case, I might be tempted to give the Chromium Finish Damage Reduction an Activation Roll (since it doesn't specify what frequency - does it change? Can I just make a laser of that frequency to begin with?).

Ah' date=' but the GB armor says "half damage from [b']lasers[/b]." The fact that some frequency lasers do go through means that the resistance is not as potent as advertised. In that case, I might be tempted to give the Chromium Finish Damage Reduction an Activation Roll (since it doesn't specify what frequency - does it change? Can I just make a laser of that frequency to begin with?).

The power to negate the Kronium laser resistant power is in the laser gun that shoots the armour it has nothing to do with the armour itself.

A variable laser would be bought with the variable special effect advantage (only to counteract laser resistant armour -1/2) or something like that.

Drain to the damage reduction, requires skill roll on system operation skill to hit that "Sweet Spot" frequency I guess- once the roll is made, every shot after that will bypass the reduction.

Sample Variable Frequency Laser Rifle: 5d6 Rka Armor Piercing(+1/2), No Knockback(-1/4), Beam(-1/4), OAF(-1), 4 clips of 10 shots each(+1/4), Real Weapon(-1/4), Str Min 6/Does not add(-1) Active Cost:131.25 Real Cost:35 points

Variable Frequency Laser: Drain-Damage Reduction 4d6 at range(+1/2), 0 end cost(+1/2), standard effect:3 points/die, only vs Glimmery Man laser resistance(-1), OAF(-1), Requires a Systems Operation roll at -4 to roll to use(-1/4), full phase per roll(-1/2), Linked to Rka(-1/2) Active Cost:80 points Real Cost:18 points Gun total:53 points from Resource pool, meaning the user would need to have bought up their resource pool at least 5 points, at the cost of 1 character point How about that? :think:

How about Damage Reduction: Only vs standard lasers.

A VF laser isn't a standard one, now is it?

As far as my Glitter Boy is concerned: I did write it up as a vehicle, I just wanted it to be incredibly tough, so I went the Damage Reduction route. I use weapons that bypass Damage Reduction (disintigration and disruption weaponry. I use a cumstom limitation called No Damage Reduction +1/2) so I wanted them to be incredibly tough to put down via normal weapons, but only as tough as their mass would indicate vs certain special weapons. Thus I put the Glitterboy at 25 Def (hard), 25 Body with 50% Damage Reduction. This way a Glitterboy could wade through a squad of SAMAS Powered Armor relatively unscathed, but could not do the same against someone armed with Splugorth or Atlantian technology...

Another way to simulate the "Laser Resitance" is to purchase additional energy defense vs lasers. With the Glitterboy's Laser Defense so high, lasers will simply bounce off...

• 2 weeks later...

The glitter boy has extra defensive powers (however you want to define it) with the limitation of only vs lasers.

And then a variable laser would be bought with the naked variable special effect advantage with the limitation only to counteract laser resistant armour.

Simple and streamlined.

I suggest you send the write-ups via Private Message.

That being said, I'm in! Myself and a friend were discussing converting RIFTS in the near future. The sooner the better.

When I published things online for Rifts in the past, I was my understanding you could do so, but you had to include the following at the top:

"© 1983, 1987, 1988, 1990 Kevin Siembieda; © 1995 Palladium Books, All rights reserved world wide. No part of this work may be reproduce in part or whole, in any form or by any means, without permission from the publisher. All incidents, situations, institutions, governments and people are fictional and any similarity to characters or persons living or dead is strictly coincidental."

"Rifts®, Palladium Books®, Mechanoids®, The Mechanoid Invasion®, Rifts®, Megaverse®, RECON®, and After the Bomb® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books, Inc."

"Nightspawn, Nightlands, Heroes Unlimited, Villains Unlimited, Beyond the Supernatural, Boxed Nightmares, Ninjas & Superspies, Mystic China, Palladium Fantasy RPG, Triax , Mindwerks, Vampire Kingdoms, The Juicer Uprising, Phase World,Wormwood, Psyscape, Mega-Damage, S.D.C., I.S.P.,P.P.E., SAMAS, Splugorth, Cyber-Knight, Glitter Boy, Juicer, Mind Melter, Psi-Stalker, Coalition States, Northern Gun, Erin Tarn, Naruni are trademarks owned and license by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books, Inc."

- Cappy