Trolls

shade

Re: Trolls

Originally posted by shade

Are there a lot of trolls here? I read some posts and I'm concerned. My kids and I share this account and don't want them exposed to such childish behavior.

There have been virtually none until the last week or so, and the moderators seem to be dealing firmly with these newcomers. The only area where childish behavior is likely to be widespread is the Non-Gaming Discussions area. ;)

That is the first troll I have seen on these new message boards. The old boards had one for a short time as well, but he mostly stuck to the non-gaming forum. In general though the Hero boards have been virtually troll free.

I would not worry about it too much. I surf the boards with my 5 year old on my lap all the time, and it only takes a click on the ignore button to make all of a troll's posts disappear. You never have to worry about what you cannot see. :)

Re: Re: Trolls

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

There have been virtually none until the last week or so, and the moderators seem to be dealing firmly with these newcomers.

I think it was just one person who switched accounts in the middle of the evening. Shulker started posting about 10 minutes after Stalker, and he even continued Stalker's points in a couple of threads. It's just one guy mad at DOJ for whatever reason.

Re: Re: Re: Trolls

Originally posted by Monolith

I think it was just one person who switched accounts in the middle of the evening. Shulker started posting about 10 minutes after Stalker, and he even continued Stalker's points in a couple of threads. It's just one guy mad at DOJ for whatever reason.

Shadow Stalker = Shadow Shulker = Centurion = Stormbringer

There was one other account in there as well...but i don't recall it offhand.....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Trolls

Originally posted by dsimon

Shadow Stalker = Shadow Shulker = Centurion = Stormbringer

There was one other account in there as well...but i don't recall it offhand.....

That figures. I thought I was getting the same strange attitude from Stormbringer during the best-forgotten-thread.

How disturbed does a guy have to be to have two accounts open at the same time just so he can cross-post with himself? :)

Trolls should probably be built with a low level of superhuman STR, and either a little resistant defenses and regeneration (DnD style) or moderate resistant defenses and a huge sucesptability to being transformed into rock in sunlight (Tolkeinesque). Either kind should have a decent HKA claws/teeth.

Oh, you meant the other kind of troll....

Just don't feed 'em. =)

Hmm....I must admit that the cynical side of me automatically suspects that "shade" is yet another front for Shadowstalker/Shadowshulker/et al.

Apologies if I am wrong.....

But to answer the question in good faith, no there are no trolls, just one strange individual that combusted on the boards about 2 days ago. Hopefully he has been squashed; dsimon's use of the word "WAS" would suggest that the pest has been removed and hopefully blocked.

If this is the last we've heard of him, I'll be happy. However, if there's anything I've learned from life both on and off line, a person who is intent on causing you trouble isn't always that easy to get rid of for good. A friend of mine told me about a troll on one of his favorite boards who had a shipload of accounts and changed IPs at least ten times as they were blocked- yet the little twit kept coming back for more! IIRC, the varment finally got bored after a year or two of this and moved on to annoy someone else.:rolleyes:

That said, the moderators here are doing an A-1 job. Keep up the good work guys.:)

Originally posted by Pattern Ghost

Poul Anderson style would be Shape Shifting. (Changling trolls.) =)

Yes and no. You're thinking of the trolls from Anderson's novel The Broken Sword (an excellent work IMHO). Stephen H_G is referring to the troll that appears in another Poul Anderson book, Three Hearts and Three Lions (also very good, and with similar concepts and themes, but much more light-hearted). The description of the troll from that story, both physical and regenerative ability, was ripped off almost verbatim by Gary Gygax.

Boy, isn't that a shocker. :rolleyes:

Definately was thinking of The Broken Sword, though I've read both a several times. Just aiming for diversity. =)

Gygax rip an idea off? Nawww. that's just inspiration. Yeah, that's it, "inspiration"...

Technically, you can give "traditional" trolls any kind of whacky powers you want, the term is actually pretty generic. But computer-using trolls... who'da thunk it?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Trolls

That figures. I thought I was getting the same strange attitude from Stormbringer during the best-forgotten-thread.

How disturbed does a guy have to be to have two accounts open at the same time just so he can cross-post with himself? :)

that sounds like a cool idea!!!

Originally posted by Pattern Ghost

Technically, you can give "traditional" trolls any kind of whacky powers you want, the term is actually pretty generic.

Ah, but would you consider 'Troll Powers' to be a tight enough SFX for an EC?

(ducks and runs away at top speed)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Trolls

The second (and third, fourth, etc.) accounts are often referred to as "sock puppets".

For the "Troll Powers" EC, I'd suggest using a limited form of Duplication for this, Only in web forums (-2) and possibly an Int-drain side-effect (-?)

:D

DGv3.0

edited to add: extra limbs would be needed for any sock puppets after the first two. ;)

Ok obviously someone has a problem reading IP addresses and e-mail addresses. Just because I happen to be from the same place as SS and happen to be a friend of his and happen to agree with him, doesn't mean that I AM HIM. If this is all you ppl can do is accuse three or four nics of being the same person, obviously you have nothing else better to do. Yes I happened to agree with him on some of his issues, BIG FREAKING DEAL!!! Jesus grow up and get a life ppl. There are other things to do than sit behind a computer screen all day and jump to conclusions. You know the saying, assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups.

Originally posted by Stormbringer

Ok obviously someone has a problem reading IP addresses and e-mail addresses. Just because I happen to be from the same place as SS and happen to be a friend of his and happen to agree with him, doesn't mean that I AM HIM. If this is all you ppl can do is accuse three or four nics of being the same person, obviously you have nothing else better to do. Yes I happened to agree with him on some of his issues, BIG FREAKING DEAL!!! Jesus grow up and get a life ppl. There are other things to do than sit behind a computer screen all day and jump to conclusions. You know the saying, assumption is the mother of all f*ck ups.

It also doesn't mean you aren't him. If you aren't really SS but you are a friend of his and have no problems with the scatological way he posts on these boards then you are just as bad as he is. If you are not the same person and he is indeed your friend, why don't you tell him to get a life instead of trolling here? So he doesn't like HERO System? Big fat hairy deal. There are also better things to do than sit behind a computer screen and troll.

As for different "IP addresses and e-mail addresses," big deal. Lots of people have multiple accounts and e-mail addresses. I have two myself. Frankly, I'll reserve judgement until you descend to his level. When you do, you'll go on my Ignore list too.

Well I would appreciate it if someone would MESSAGE me first before accusing me of trolling. If I'm doing it now, so be it, but I have a right to stand up for myself.

And yes he IS my friend. He is my best friend, and I for one don't appreciate how he's being treated. If you want to bring ppl down, do it in private ok?

Originally posted by Trebuchet

As for different "IP addresses and e-mail addresses," big deal. Lots of people have multiple accounts and e-mail addresses. I have two myself. Frankly, I'll reserve judgement until you descend to his level. When you do, you'll go on my Ignore list too.

The fact that they were both on and posting at the same time the other night, and that the message board apparently "logged" their IP as being the same at that time, is a very good indication that they are one and the same person. Dan, like anyone else, can make a mistake when checking IPs, but in this instance I do not think he did. Save yourself the grief and put him on your Ignore list now. I have now, and am no worse for wear because of it.