I could watch him get slapped around all day

Hermit

Re: I could watch him get slapped around all day

Most superhero teams are ultimately about preserving the status quo from various threats. The X-Men are one of the exceptions. They were all about changing the status quo for the better, and built into their fundamental concept was the idea of the human race changing and evolving into a higher species, homo sapiens superior, mutants.

The problem with the X-Men is that the Marvel Universe to some extent remains a status quo universe, somewhat different than our own in some areas but ultimately familiar to everyone.

That is an excellent summation, MfH...but you'll have to wait a week or so before I can rep you for it, because I hit you with the rep stick just a couple of days ago. :(

I don't remember what it was, but it was full of super-heroes and villains all packed into a dome on some planet for reasons I don't remember. I _do_ remember that some bad guy was having words with the X-men's leader (Doctor X?-- the guy in the wheelchair) and Spiderman overheard it and decided to warn the other heroes.

All the X-men were there, and they all leapt into battle to stop him. I think the entire 'battle' lasted four panels. Spidey went through them like some kind of sweeping Move-By. He didn't even slow down, and all the Xes were sudued.

Early part of the Secret Wars. And in the end, Professor X put the lock-down on Spider-Man, mentally. It seems you can't out-agile telepathy. :(

Here's my list:

1) Doomsday/Bane/Other Stupid Characters specifically created to radically alter character for no apparent reason - Please take a number for your beating - No you don't get to jump to the head of the line

2) Wolverine/Punisher/Lobo/Any other unstoppable killing machine - gee, how many times do you have to tell me he's the best at whatever - its like reading a Madden broadcast

3) The Authority - although soliloquoies take zero time - for you guys I am going to make an exception

4) Superman - gee, I have a whole variety of powers, but I'll just fight to the death hand to hand with a one trick villain

5) Batman - I am loner and don't work well with teams - well except little boys I dress in bright colors - it works so well when we hide in shadows

I'm sure I can think of others later.

Out of curiousity, what did Byrne do to Nightcrawler? I mean I know of his desecrations of other characters, but this is a new one for me.

Byrne and Claremont are to me people who need to be slapped around a bit.

In an interview, he admitting to not really liking Nightcrawler that much and tried to take focus away from him. He also used him for comic relief. An example of that is in one of the last issues he did for Xmen. I can't remember the issue number, but its the one w/Wendigo.

So much Batman/Wolverine hatred.

I don't hate either of them.

Batman was someone who, as teen, seemed a little silly to me. But I grew to like him more as I got older. Wolverine was someone I liked that "k3wl! knives from his hands!" way that kids often do, and I still like him more out of sentimentality.

In the three days I've been thinking about this idea of "who I'd like to see smacked around", I still can't come up with a front runner, aside from the very smug Authority. Majestic almost got a vote. There are times where Thor needed it, but seeing as how he's currently dead in the continuity, not right now. And Hercules always needs it, but that's part of his charm.

I'd like to request that Wonder Woman take a whoopin'. By another girl. The liquid medium in which this happens is author's choice.

• 5 months later...

I have never taken an instant dislike to a comic book character, except in one case. DC's current Manhunter, Kate Spencer. I'd like to see her get pwned by just about anyone. Superman, who'd lecture her on responsibility and heroic ideals. Batman, who'd lecture her about thinking before acting and about not killing. Any previous Manhunter (even the crappy Zero Hour one) for making the name look bad.

I don't know what it is about this character that rubs me the wrong way, but it does. I apologize if my opinion upsets any fans.

Most characters that many people hate aren't that entirely bad. There is something about Wolverine beyond all the crap that the fanboys get worked up over. Do I really have to explain the potential in a character that's trying to overcome his own murderous, bestial impulses, who often behaves heroically in spite of himself?

But that's not the Wolverine they're writing, most of the time, it seems.

Here's my top 5...

5) The entire Rob Liefield scripted cast of X-Force (yes, Cable too - arrgh that was horrible writing)

4) Batman, for screwing up the JLA too many times now ("World's Greatest Detective My Left #$@")

3) Thor (I get an image of him doing the 'Charlie's Angels' hair toss from Shreck 2, and all the 'thees' & 'thous'? Honestly! Get a haircut and a diction coach)

2) Iron Man (for disbanding the Avengers, then reforming them with it's current lamentable membership - "Sweet Christmas! Iron Man just got beat down!")

1) Wolverine (Soooooo irritating. Find a woman who's not married, engaged, or mentally challenged already, Eh!)

Re your comment on Woverine. In the Marvel or any other comic book universe these days ? Good luck !

The thing about Wolverine is that it's okay if he gets slapped around. The more powerful his regeneration, the more you can do to him. No need to worry about "friendly fire" either.

Jack from Lost really pisses me off. If I read more comics, I could hate people from that medium too. But from what I've read on boards, the Authority could use a good smackdown.

Here's my list along with the people I want to do the whupping:

1. Batman (Nightwing, Bronze Tiger, or Mr. Terrific II)

2. Wolverine (Nightcrawler or Spiderman)

3. Sabertooth (Black Panther)

4. Cable (Cyclopse)

5. Deathstroke the Terminator (Aquaman)

6. Hal Jordan (John Stewart)

7. Gambit (Longshot, actually)

8. Venom (Spiderman or The Beast)

9. Thor (Hercules)

10. Joker (Robin)

11. Emma Frost (Kitty Pryde, Jean Grey)

12. Hulk (Thing)

13. Blob (Colossus)

14. Ultron (Hank Pym)

15. Doomsday (Captain Marvel)

16. Taskmaster (Batroc)

17. Punisher (Daredevil)

18. Gladiator (Hyperion, Thor, or Hercules)

That's all i can think of now...

I really like a lot of these. However, part of me thinks that the joker should simply be killed resisting arrest by some rookie member of the Gotham PD.

Having the Black Panther beat on Sabertooth is pretty good. Though it might be more fun if either Kitty Pryde or NIghtcrawler did it. Somebody he would find REALLY humiliating. Maybe the Power Pack.

I always liked this comment from a thread a long time ago:

that quote reminds me of something from "Illegal Aliens"

The nasty cockroach aliens are trying to figure out how to escape from the containment vessel in which they are being questioned.

They have had to start predicating their plans on "If Everyone else on the Planet drops dead and we gain super powers..."

OR something like that. :eg::D

Batman by Wally West

I remember reading one comic where Batman shows up at the garage Wally works at and does the typical Batman thing-do what I say bacause I'm the Batgod, poking Wally in the chest as he does. Wally says in response, I'll think about it and oh, you only touched me because I let you. I always thought that was cool. Batman needs a good high speed #%@-whooping.

Deathstroke the Terminator.

Gar: Did you sleep with Terra?

Deathstroke: Does it matter?

Yes. It does matter. Hopefully, he gets slapped down by the new Terra.

Batman by Irwin Schwab aka the Ambush Bug

Superman: Batman, why are you wearing a pink costume with a hula skirt and a happy face sign on the back of your head?

Batman: I don't want to talk about it

Emma Frost by Kitty Pryde.

I'd like to say all the Liefeld creations, but one of them became a very decent character under a decent writer. So other than Deadpool, all the others.

Wolverine by the Fabulous Frog Man or the Walrus(He has the speed and proportinal strength of a walrus)

Anti-Monitor by Kara Zor-El.(Still a little upset about that and the LIE. IMPO Earth-A pull through)

The Punisher and Venom. They are NOT heroes.

Gambit by Betty Brant

Cyclops- biggest whiney maggot character ever, they should have kept him dead but b/c of the movie they needed to bring him back... waste of comic space in my opinion, I've never liked him. I'd buy a 12 part mini-series where every issue was just him getting pimp slapped by everyone in the MU...

Perhaps this is wrong but ...

Jean Grey - Sue Storm or Mary Jane Watson-Parker testoterone laiden jokes aside. The latter two could show this damn tease a thing or two about being a wife. Actaully Sue's feeling for Namor could get her on the recieving end...

Malice (Sue Storm) - Invisible Woman (Sue Storm)

White Queen - any Marvel woman with an ounce of Self Respect.

Selene (The Black Queen)- Magma she's had it coming for a long time.

Actually, just carpet bomb the X-Verse.

Same as everyone else - Wolverine, Batman (post DKR, when he started to become the Bat God in JLA) and The Authority (especially The Midnighter). I really enjoyed seeing Seth massacre them, he's great. And at least they stayed dead for a short while.

I also cant stand The Invisibles but that isnt a superhero comic.

I have never taken an instant dislike to a comic book character, except in one case. DC's current Manhunter, Kate Spencer. I'd like to see her get pwned by just about anyone. Superman, who'd lecture her on responsibility and heroic ideals. Batman, who'd lecture her about thinking before acting and about not killing. Any previous Manhunter (even the crappy Zero Hour one) for making the name look bad.

I don't know what it is about this character that rubs me the wrong way, but it does. I apologize if my opinion upsets any fans.

Well, I'm not offended. It's fairly clear that the Spencer Manhunter is supposed to be having a redemption arc--the person who's an utter failure in pretty much every way a human can be pulls herself out of the pit by her own gumption and realization of her flaws. But unfortunately she started out just a little bit too unlikable to really pull it off.

Plus, the author knows diddly-squat about the American legal system, so the parts where she's supposed to be a hot-shot prosecutor utterly fail to convince.

Mentor, I owe you rep for the original post. (I tried but it wouldnt let me)

I pretty much agree with what you said, and why. Especially about "The Authority"; IMHO the most sickening mis-use of the term "superhero" Ive ever heard of.

Batman getting pwned by Ambush Bug...thats just awesome too!

Deathstroke the Terminator.

Yes. It does matter. Hopefully, he gets slapped down by the new Terra.

Batman by Irwin Schwab aka the Ambush Bug

Emma Frost by Kitty Pryde.

I'd like to say all the Liefeld creations, but one of them became a very decent character under a decent writer. So other than Deadpool, all the others.

Wolverine by the Fabulous Frog Man or the Walrus(He has the speed and proportinal strength of a walrus)

Anti-Monitor by Kara Zor-El.(Still a little upset about that and the LIE. IMPO Earth-A pull through)

The Punisher and Venom. They are NOT heroes.

Gambit by Betty Brant

Oh, you read Dave's Long Box too? Walrus amuses me.