The Network: Campaign Setting Idea

Super Squirrel

Re: The Network: Campaign Setting Idea

That would make sense if their fourth dimensional technology is resisted by being in a gravity well - they could only break through whole troops if they went into orbit. But they might be able to pass smaller things, like ammo and medical supplies, down on the surface. It would explain why they didn't have a navy - a full ship might need to be taken way, way out to pass through. Perhaps with the exception of this 4D tech, they aren't too far advanced from us.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps they've come to Earth because it's the only place they could reach.. or the first time they've done this. I've allways been partial to the "We opened the door for them!" plotlines.. perhaps it was the test of a new fusion bomb that acted as a beacon for them to find us, or the way some communications sattelites have oriented created a subatomic resonance that they detected through the fourth dimension.

Why are they so hostile? Maby their race operates more on a dominant/submissive level, where an overwhelming show of force SHOULD end the fight rather peacefully in their culture.. Something like that would allow for very aggressive aliens but still give them a social structure to pursue group goals. (I think I'm getting this from Footfall, but it's been a long time..) Maby this was done to them, so they think they're justified in such an extreme action. They might even be escaping an invasion currently ongoing on their home planet, an invasion by fifth dimensional creatures.

Maby the "doorways" into our solar system are only open when the stars are right.. But "windows" can be opened more frequently. That would allow them to have superior intelligence on our forces, but that information could only be shared with their army on earth sporadically, say every year or so, along with reinforcements and equipment resupply. Perhaps when their supplies run low they will have to adopt our lower-tech weapons untill then.

How powerful are their armored troops? Can one take on a squad, or platoon? what are their weaknesses - You mentioned overconfidence, but in what way does this limit them? How powerful of a weapon do you need to kill one - or does their armor not protect them from low-tech attacks?

are they unified in their purpose, and why? If not, what do the objecters think and do.. too scared to voice dissent, covertly aiding the enemy, an active political campain that just doesn't have the numbers yet to change the tide..

What's the overall theme for the campaign?

I've allways liked invasion campains, and can't wait to hear how you've fleshed it out.

-CraterMaker

This is actually a great idea for a campaign setting!! The thing is to get the details right and keep things interesting for the characters. In the main source book for this setting you must have details. Like which towns are taken over plus what military bases. Detailed maps of at least one town and one military base. With numbers and locations of alien troops. More then one type of alien trooper so players are not just killing the same guy. The Aliens can all be one race but may have differant units and equipment. Human traitors are important to add in to really piss off our heroes. I would make sure the aliens have anti air craft technology other wise they loose.

I would have suggestions on how the aliens would deal with prisoners. Plus no matter what the game system. Have some notes for increasing and decreasing the power scale of the game. Ie in a super hero universe the aliens may have very high tech and numbers to deal with super heroes. Or a few aliens might develope super powers themselves. Plus super villians may even join up with the aliens. The aliens should have some means to transport themselves around as well. I hope this helps. I would try to make the aliens as interesting and yet as mysterious as possible. Some inflitrators into the eastern and coastal areas and groups of prisoners could add some real threat as well. Lastily they could always have some plants and animals with them from there home world.

This would add alot of spice to the game. See War against the Chtorr for ideas on this.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a reasonable skeletal outline for a campaign SS.

I suggest you work on the alien technology and master plans. You need to have lots of stuff for the PCs to discover - not just one 'big secret' but a whole load of secrets. And you need to have these secrets discovered in a 'drip feed' fashion. Examples:

Alien biology - they are humanoid and they can interbreed with human females :eek:

Alien psychology - vastly superior brains with telepathic powers?

Alien homeworld - destroyed by pollutants, they hop from world to world like interstellar parasites, sucking planets dry then migrating to the next?

Alien technology - their fourth dimension jaunts cost lots of power and kill their troops in a manner similar to massive doses of radiation?

Alien master plan - bioengineered algae to screw up oceans and CO2 cycle?

Alien collaborators - there will always be collaborators, and maybe they have a good reason for doing so e.g. aliens threated Earth with planetkilling asteroid in orbit?

Alien conscientious objectors - amongst the aliens there are potential allies if the humans can beat their prejudices and open lines of communication?