Willpower: a power?

Vanguard00

Heya, folks. A little help, if you would. I would like to create a character who can, through force of will, augment his existing abilities.

Possibly applications of this include, but are not limited to:

Lifting greater weights (STR)

Running faster (Run)

Leaping farther (Leap)

Holding his breath (Con)

Walking through a hail of gunfire (Damage Resistance, Reduction, or extra PD)

Figure out a problem/figure the best way to do something (existing skills?)

etc...

His will allows him to increase an ability, but likely only one at a time. I'm thinkin' a VPP, perhaps, or some form of Aid. I keep waffling, likely because I'm overthinking it now.

This whole idea is conceptual at this time, but ideas and/or suggestions would be quite welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Willpower: a power?

Why not a multipower with a Requires Ego Roll limitation?

Cuz I'd hate to leave something out :)

Seriously, I thought about that and in all likelihood might default to that, but I was hoping for something a little more flexible. I'm still fishing for ideas on what he could use his willpower to do, as well.

At its simplest, this is Pushing. You might be able to set up the game to support extended Pushing, talk with the GM.

If "willpower" will allow the character to enhance his running to Flash-level speeds, it's clearly beyond Pushing. It might be cheaper to identify all the things you can enhance and put them in a multipower (this power is fertile ground for limitations!). Otherwise, go the VPP route.

Oh, and as far as leaving something out ...

Define a Power skill as "Willpower". You should be able to use it to one-shot those rare occasions where you didn't forsee the need. If it comes up often, use some XP to add an ultra slot to the multipower.

Not being able to limit the VPP pool makes it costly if you have a good number of points in it.

Grind my teeth though I might, VPP has to be the way forward here. Personally I'd want to limit it to a small pool - say 10 points, and no more than +10 active points on any one power - thus simulating the ability to push, but allowing you, of course, to push on top of that (with a few more limitations you can probably have +10 on 2 or even 3 powers/abilities at once).

Not sure how you'd be able to justify 'bulletproof' as a willpower schtick, and you can't put skills in a VPP, but you can add to the base characteristics for skills using the VPP construct, thus gaining +1 to +3 on skill rolls (depending on existing characteristics).

The Power Skill: Willpower is also a good idea, but sounds easily abusable to me - this sounds like something the character is going to want to be doing a lot.

Grind my teeth though I might' date=' VPP has to be the way forward here. Personally I'd want to limit it to a small pool - say 10 points, and no more than +10 active points on any one power - thus simulating the ability to push, but allowing you, of course, to push on top of that (with a few more limitations you can probably have +10 on 2 or even 3 powers/abilities at once).[/quote']

This is the sort of thing I was going for. Being able to push over and above what he can do once he sets his mind to it. 10 AP might be about right, but it certainly wouldn't be much more than that if I go over.

Not sure how you'd be able to justify 'bulletproof' as a willpower schtick, and you can't put skills in a VPP, but you can add to the base characteristics for skills using the VPP construct, thus gaining +1 to +3 on skill rolls (depending on existing characteristics).

I'm thinkin' Damage Reduction right now, to simulate some degree of "I'm not gonna let that stop me!" action. Being able to take the damage and keep going, if only for a short time.

The Power Skill: Willpower is also a good idea, but sounds easily abusable to me - this sounds like something the character is going to want to be doing a lot.

Well, I don't consider myself an abusive player. If I want to do something more than once or twice I'll buy powers for it. Chances are I'll be able to come up with most of the 'pushes' I want initially, leaving only rare applications out of the mix.

Thanks for the ideas, folks! If anyone has more, sing out!

I'm thinkin' Damage Reduction right now, to simulate some degree of "I'm not gonna let that stop me!" action. Being able to take the damage and keep going, if only for a short time.

.......Thanks for the ideas, folks! If anyone has more, sing out!

You could put the VPP in +5 BODY - you'd live a little longer in the leadstorm :)

The other idea I had was 'Pushing Skill' - basically either as a seperate skill or levels to add to your EGO for making pushes.

You might also want an Endurance Reserve with the REC limited (only while meditating, for instance) that you can use for pushes only - it will mean, for 11 points (100 END, 1 REC) you can push 10 times in quick succession, but then you will have used up your reserves and can't do it again until you meditate. Or whatever :)

You can also do it with a Succor any one stat or power requires an EGO roll. this will increase skills by increasing the stat behind them or increase a power directly, and you can still push that stat or power.

I use my will power to increase my INT by 10 giving me a +2 to my INT skills then I push my INT by 10 for a total +4:D

A VPP or Multipower could do it. Normally you shouldn't be able to Push except in heroic circumstances, but you could put Powers together that look like Pushing. The common example is extra Str with Increased End Cost.

Actually, I just had an idea. What if you allowed a Limitation to be applied similarly to a Naked Advantage, but what it would do is adjust the points you spent on the Power to apply as if you had bought a Power with the same Real Cost but with the Limitation present? I would probably cost it according to the Active Point difference between a completely un-Limited Power of a given Real Cost and one with the same Real Cost but with the Limitation applied (this is where there would be maximum benefit). For example:

Naked Limitation: Increased End Cost: x2 (1 End per 5 Active Points) on up to 60 Active Points of EB [30 Active]

Justification:

A 60 Active Point Power with no Limitations has a Real Cost of 60. A Real Cost of 60 on a Power with
Increased End Cost: x2 (-1/2)
corresponds to 90 Active Points. Thus, the Active Point difference would be 90-60=30.

Now if this Naked Limitation were applied to:

EB: 6d6 energy; Area of Effect: Radius (+1); [60 Active] Concentrate: 1/2 DCV (-1/4); [48 Real]

it would be as if you had paid for the same Power with a 48 Real Cost and (-1/4)+(-1/2)=-3/4 in Limitations, which comes to (7/4)*48=84 Active Points. Adjusting for the Area of Effect Advantage, the EB is now 8d6. The more Limited the Power already is, the less effect you will gain.

You could then apply Adjustment-type Advantages to widen the kind of Powers the, "Naked Limitation," could be applied to, add suitable Limitations to it such as Requires a Skill Roll, etc. Just an idea.

EDIT: Why do I seem to be favoring Naked Advantages and such to Power Frameworks these days? :ugly:

• 3 weeks later...

Another (more heroic, less superheroic) way to simulate this power is to buy overall levels with some limitations - like requires an Ego Roll, or Costs Endurance - only problem being no extra strength, etc - just roll bonuses. For something superheroic - I would stick with Succor...