• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Sorting books by color is possible, but highly personal, and it'd be ... interesting ... if that person did not have normal color vision. Doesn't help much if you have an extensive collection of bound volumes of journals, either.

The infinity bookshelf is the coolest of those, but getting into the inner portions of it is a problem (seems like "archival storage" to me).

The clocks are interesting, though I tend to be more attracted to those with enhanced functions: e.g. lunar phase and (especially) hour angle; or merely one that gives both local time and UT in 24-hour format at the same time. Mechanical clocks are neat artifacts and can be quite beautiful.

Sorting books by color is possible' date=' but highly personal, and it'd be ... interesting ... if that person did not have normal color vision...[/quote']

You'd be amazed at the number of people coming into the library looking for a book and the only thing they can identify it with is the color. "I'm looking for a book; it's red. Do you have it?"

Of course it's actually funnier when they think they know what it's about. "I'm looking for a book; it's about Jews. It's red. Do you have it?" Ah yes, the Big Red Book of Jews, right this way...

I swear I'm not making this stuff up.

With a couple of librarians on the wife's side of the family, I know you're not making it up.

What's bad is there have been times when I try to remember which of several different books (conference proceedings) I read a particular item from, and my mnemonic for recalling that is the color of the binding. Catalog information and numbering get pretty random (from my point of view) once you get way out in the technical esoterica, and binding color is more useful than most of the stuff that's in the catalog....

You'd be amazed at the number of people coming into the library looking for a book and the only thing they can identify it with is the color. "I'm looking for a book; it's red. Do you have it?"

Of course it's actually funnier when they think they know what it's about. "I'm looking for a book; it's about Jews. It's red. Do you have it?" Ah yes, the Big Red Book of Jews, right this way...

I swear I'm not making this stuff up.

Years ago, I worked at a deep discount bookstore. This story was related to me by my store manager, (Jason Vester, who wrote Broken Kingdoms for FH). The person that I had replaced had a customer come in looking for a book.

Customer: "I'm looking for a book, I don't know the name or the author, but I know that the cover's yellow."

Employee: "Well, let me take you to our 'Yellow Book' section."

Customer (excited): "You have one?"

Employee: "No, not really."

So, we would refer to these folks as "Yellow Book People". And yes, it's really common.

JoeG