"Neat" Pictures

Dr. Anomaly

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Years ago' date=' I worked at a deep discount bookstore. This story was related to me by my store manager, (Jason Vester, who wrote [i']Broken Kingdoms[/i] for FH). The person that I had replaced had a customer come in looking for a book.

Customer: "I'm looking for a book, I don't know the name or the author, but I know that the cover's yellow."

Employee: "Well, let me take you to our 'Yellow Book' section."

Customer (excited): "You have one?"

Employee: "No, not really."

So, we would refer to these folks as "Yellow Book People". And yes, it's really common.

JoeG

You mean like this?

• Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

The 96619 one I did know about, and I'd swear I'd seen all those images in National Geographic before. And either my knowledge is closer to encyclopeic than I thought, or they aren't going very far in their searches; the focus seems to be on neat pictures rather than extreme places.

The 96619 one I did know about' date=' and I'd swear I'd seen all those images in National Geographic before. And either my knowledge is closer to encyclopeic than I thought, or they aren't going very far in their searches; the focus seems to be on neat pictures rather than extreme places.[/quote']

Obviously people know about them, otherwise the list couldn't be compiled. But anyway, the places and pictures are awesome.

To be fair' date=' it's not clear that VV Cep or VY CMa are really spherical, as opposed to being big disks of material around mass-long stars.[/quote']

Ah, VV Cep. I remember doing some observations of that star when I was at Villanova...

I never did anything with VV Cep, but there was one night in 1982 or '83 where I was called to do spectroscopy of epsilon Aurigae, starting at about 3000A and working my way longward, 120A at a shot, with the 2.7m coude spectrometer at McDonald. Fortunately I just handed those data off; I didn't have to do anything with them.

I've been learning how to make jewelry. Here's some of my attempts...

3497189873_c3ffaac663.jpg

Antique bronze key with bronze and glass beads. 17" necklace.

The matching earrings are tiny bronze keys with glass beads.

3497190481_60cfd07ab2.jpg

Bronze antique key on a double necklace -- one part bronze chain, the other part glass beads, hematite beads, and bronze findings. 17" necklace.

3498006952_4207b67f57.jpg

Bronze celtic cross on a 17" necklace

3497191309_f34a50d3e8.jpg

Earrings -- Copper spirals with glass beads.

3497191499_866bbdbf3a.jpg

And, for you Hero gamers: Roll 3d6!

I've been learning how to make jewelry. Here's some of my attempts...

3497190481_60cfd07ab2.jpg

Bronze antique key on a double necklace -- one part bronze chain, the other part glass beads, hematite beads, and bronze findings. 17" necklace.

I would say this one.

you'd be amazed at the number of people coming into the library looking for a book and the only thing they can identify it with is the color. "i'm looking for a book; it's red. Do you have it?"

of course it's actually funnier when they think they know what it's about. "i'm looking for a book; it's about jews. It's red. Do you have it?" ah yes, the big red book of jews, right this way...

i swear i'm not making this stuff up.

lol