"Neat" Pictures

Dr. Anomaly

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Also from The New Scientist Picture of the Day, but a little more grisly. Click to see the pic, but here's the description:

After these ants are infected by the fungus Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, the insects abandon their nests for the underside of leaves. Before they die, the rainforest-dwelling ants bite tightly onto leaves.

The fungus then glues the dead ant to the leaf and ejects its spores into the forest via a stalk through the ant's head. A new study (PLoS-ONE, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0004835) finds these dead ants clumped together in forest "graveyards", rarely visited by living workers.

That gives me a great, creepy idea for a fantasy Hero adventure. The PC's are traveling through a forest, when they encounter bodies glued to trees, with bulbous stalks sprouting from heads and/or chests...a fungal version of the alien chest burster...

• Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Also from The New Scientist Picture of the Day, but a little more grisly. Click to see the pic, but here's the description:

That gives me a great, creepy idea for a fantasy Hero adventure. The PC's are traveling through a forest, when they encounter bodies glued to trees, with bulbous stalks sprouting from heads and/or chests...a fungal version of the alien chest burster...

Hey... I'm getting movement ahead and behind....

article-0-05499BD1000005DC-474_964x627.jpg

Pictured: Giant blue whale floats belly-up after being killed in a tragic collision with a ship.

To give a sense of scale, the ship is 84' long, meaning the whale is around 72' long.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1192028/Pictured-The-largest-animal-lived--tragically-run-passing-ship.html

Commentary on the TV series: Interesting how both prime baddies in the two series were both "male" (judging from the artwork -- I never watched either show). Equal rights doesn't extend to being the top Villain?

Commentary on the TV series: Interesting how both prime baddies in the two series were both "male" (judging from the artwork -- I never watched either show). Equal rights doesn't extend to being the top Villain?

it was the 80s and a kids show. ;) it was lucky they made She-Ra.

:rolleyes:

Picture taken by me of a sculpture in the garden between the National Museum of Natural History and the National Gallery of Art (June 30, 2009).

Why is this neat? The neat part is figuring out which part is angled which way.... :D

Picture taken by me of a sculpture in the garden between the National Museum of Natural History and the National Gallery of Art (June 30, 2009).

Why is this neat? The neat part is figuring out which part is angled which way.... :D

Hmm...looking at the ground and the shadow, I think the middle part is pushed away from the viewer.

Hmm...looking at the ground and the shadow' date=' I think the middle part is pushed away from the viewer.[/quote']

You are correct sir. It's not a flat surface, and it's not angled towards you, but away.

Hmm... I need to find some of my other images that people might like.