• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Sweet. But I have to wonder about the Moon Hoaxers. I.e.' date=' those people who, for whatever strange reason, believe that the moon landings were faked. Will this convince any of them that we did go there? If not, what would?[/quote']

Send them there. Without pressure suits.

Nothing will convince them. Conspiracy freaks are True Believers. The Apollo astronauts could land in front of them on a flaming chariot' date=' swear they'd been on the Moon, and a voice from the Heavens could cry out, "MEN REALLY DID WALK ON THE MOON", and the Moon Hoaxers would still denounce it all as a fake.[/quote']

More details at Snopes. Apparently a real shot but the forced perspective and an artifact of the camera lens makes the jet appear closer than it was.

That's why I included the link to Popular Science in the post, which explains the forced perspective and why the plane was lined up behind the apartment building, in case people were interested:

Believe it or not, this image isn't Photoshopped in any way.

It was taken during a specially-authorized low-altitude flyby to open a speedboat race on the Detroit river. A super-low urban flyby, a huge telephoto lens and a depth of field illusion making the jet appear closer to the building than it actually was all came together for a perfect shot.

Needless to say, anyone who wasn't awake in that building prior to this moment certainly was immediately after.

That's why I included the link to Popular Science in the post' date=' which explains the forced perspective and why the plane was lined up behind the apartment building, in case people were interested:[/quote']

Yes, sir, I saw your link and was providing verification of the authenticity. Sorry, I did not mean to imply you required checking on.

And he didn't get charged! :celebrate

Just goes to show you don't mess with 72 year-old Air Force Astronauts! :yes:

G-d bless the Space Program! (And a legal system that recognizes that, under the right circumstances, some people just need to be punched.)

Kind of reminds me of the story of the 82-year-old Marine who was assaulted by a would-be robber, only to kick the @ss of his youthful assailant. I saw security camera footage of the event on The Smoking Gun Presents: World's Dumbest. That'll teach 'im to show his elders respect! mgdrillsergeant.gif

witnesses came forward to say that Mr Sibrel had aggressively poked Mr Aldrin with the Bible

Mr. Snivel ought to be glad he wasn't charged with aggravated assault; poke someone with a book, that's aggravated assault in most jurisdictions.

So who lives in this building? Sauron? Voldemort?

Here's another view, along with an explanation.

I saw it for the first time on Wednesday night. It was dark, and the fog hovered over it. I went there today and got a better look.

My gosh, you've found the secret headquarters of the Adventurers Of The Mysterious!

You can tell that's what it is because of the statues of the Fractal Spectrosummoners!

(names from http://seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=superorganization :winkgrin:)

The Mallard, masked man of mystery, recalls the time he spent learning from the Fractal Spectrosummoners. Especially the busty one in the middle. Boy, did she have something to teach!

The Bacandforthtrian concludes The Mallard is a bit of a lech.

The Mallard and the Bacandforthtrian are products of Basil's Twisted Imagination, Unlimited. All rides are on llamalls, because the Bacandforthtrian is too cantankerous

My gosh, you've found the secret headquarters of the Adventurers Of The Mysterious!

You can tell that's what it is because of the statues of the Fractal Spectrosummoners!

(names from http://seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=superorganization :winkgrin:)

Combine this with Cancer's random room name generator, and a random plot generator and you've got potential bestsellers on your hands!

... That, or The World of Synnibarr. :nonp::ugly::idjit::sick:

... or perhaps FATAL.

:D

Hey, if you're going to automate the process and replace the infinite monkeys and typewriters, you can't expect Shakespeare every time. ;)

Combine this with Cancer's random room name generator' date=' and a random plot generator and you've got potential bestsellers on your hands![/quote']

Oh, Seventh Sanctum can handle the room generation:

http://seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=roomloc

Hmm... The closest they have to a plot generator is:

http://seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=whatif

However, they do link to:

http://www.bin.sh/gaming/tools/adventure.cgi

(to get a new plot, reload the page; there's no "get a new one" button)

So, there you are; all your conditions fulfilled. :winkgrin: