• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

I wish I could read russian so I could figure out what this was.

It appears to be a Soviet-era ground-effect aircraft. The vehicle would only generate enough lift to fly when it was within a rather short distance of the surface, buoyed up by ground-effect lift (in essence, the air that gets trapped underneath the wing at very low altitudes - something like within half the overall wingspan).

The benefit is being able to lift pretty huge payloads (in the 1,000 ton plus range, IIRC) at much higher speeds than other vehicles capable of handling that much weight (200ish mph for this aircraft, vs. 20-30 mph for a typical freighter).

Downside is, it is really only safe over water in decently good weather - if the wave height gets up to your operating altitude you're going to have problems.

EDIT: And I see others have beaten me to the punch...

I wish I could read russian so I could figure out what this was.

It's an aeroflot, aka Wing-in-Ground-Effect vehicle.

EDIT: Doh! Ekranoflot is what I was thinking. I'm not sure what the difference is between an ekranoflot and ekranoplan, but they're both pretty similar. You can search for "Caspian Sea Monster" and get lots of info on it.

It appears to be a Soviet-era ground-effect aircraft. The vehicle would only generate enough lift to fly when it was within a rather short distance of the surface, buoyed up by ground-effect lift (in essence, the air that gets trapped underneath the wing at very low altitudes - something like within half the overall wingspan).

The benefit is being able to lift pretty huge payloads (in the 1,000 ton plus range, IIRC) at much higher speeds than other vehicles capable of handling that much weight (200ish mph for this aircraft, vs. 20-30 mph for a typical freighter).

Downside is, it is really only safe over water in decently good weather - if the wave height gets up to your operating altitude you're going to have problems.

EDIT: And I see others have beaten me to the punch...

But you bore the much heavier payload of information.

Lucius Alexander

And a post cold war palindromedary

Re: 47 Miles of Barbed Wire

Trying to decide between the two[/url]

Not knowing what the project is I would use both. I could see very large prints of thes mounted together on a wall. Or 3 of the B&Ws and the colored one in a square even. Nice.

I also could see the color print as a book cover and the B&W one as a movie poster.

I think the color version. I'm a huge fan of B&W imagery, but I think you'd need the cloud and background mountain to be in better focus for the B&W version to have enough definition to outdo the chromatic contrasts in the color version.

Try this one. ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35243[/ATTACH]

You mean I'm not alone? There was always just something juicey about a nicely loaded Shadow Hawk. I think part of it was that it's weight still gave it some decent speed and it had a nice weapons load (stock) that wasn't too heat intensive, not too ammo intensive and versatile.

I DO love a Shadow Hawk!