• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

• 2 weeks later...

Re: "Neat" Pictures

I'm guessing they had to give the cat a bath, and found that that's the easiest way to manage it. I know I used to have a dog who, the best way to bathe her was to get into the bath with her and hold her down.

Considering that she was a 75-pound Doberman mix, this proved an interesting feat by myself.

• 2 weeks later...

RP, you missed on a few of the planes.

The First is a Dauntless, the Navy's fighter at the begining of the war, not a P-40. A P-40 has an inline engine, not radial.

Both the NASA Chase plane and the one below it are FA-18s. If you look at teh tail and leading edge of the wing and compare it to the Blue Angel craft you'll see what I mean. The bottom is an fa-18B two seater.

You are mistaken about the first one. The were two models of the P40 one had a 12 cyclinder Alison engine in a radial configuration. The other was the inline. The NASA plane I thought might be an F-16 as well, but I think you are right about it being an FA-18. The insignia on the one below is airforce though so I doubt it is an FA-18. It looks similar for sure but the B configuration nose was different.

I wish I would have taken notes on the aircraft but I didn't get to talk to all the exhibitors.

The first image is a Grumman F8F Bearcat. The link is to a page with some good data about it. It was one of the foremost fighters at the close of the war. The Bearcat had a very powerful engine which allowed it to climb rapidly and fly fast. Being able to get to altitude fast made it an excellent anti-kamikaze fighter.

Pictures of a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk can be found at this site. The P-40 had an inline engine. It was developed from the P-36 Hawk which had a radial engine but otherwise was pretty much the same airframe. It is pretty hard to find good pictures of the P-36. Just before the war it was realized that the P-36 was totally outclassed by the fighters of most of the rest of the world. The army needed an improved fighter and the P-40 was rapidly developed using the P-36 airframe but with a lighter inline engine which also dramatically improved the streamlining of the plane. Still the P-40 was a sort of "stop gap" until better fighters could be developed (P-38, P-47, P-51, etc.).

I'm by no means certain, but when I saw the gray plane marked "F-15?", I immediately thought it was an FA-18 Super Hornet, which I walked around/under many times in the hangar bay.

Looking at it more closely, I can't say whether it is, but I can say that it doesn't have any specific features that I recognize as being wrong for a Super Hornet. Besides belonging to the USAF, of course. :confused:

EDIT: Now that I've taken another look, that NASA plane looks a LOT like the Blue Angels plane. Note the antenna blisters in the tail fins, the angular profile of the cocpit, the shape of the engine intakes, and those little rectangular fin things on the fuselage just aft of the cockpit.