• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Today's APOD has an image I've thought about before but never seen composed: a part of the southern sky, as seen in the radio. All the "stars" there are radio galaxies (there are not very many radio-bright stars). The "cloud" is the extended radio lobes from Centaurus A, the nearest active galaxy: yes, they are that big on the sky. (You can see the optical galaxy at the center of Cen A = NGC 5128 with a pair of 7-by-50 binoculars, almost in the same binocular field as omega Centauri, our Galaxy's biggest globular cluster.)

They have pasted into that image (in front) the dishes of the Narrabri radio observatory and the full Moon. The Moon is visible in the radio, but it can't appear in the place portrayed in that radio image: it's way too far south for the Moon to be there.

Go here for close up:http://popchartlab.com/index.php/poster_detail/the_illustrious_omnibus_of_superpowers/

My god, it's full of superstars....

ah' date=' cool - they're the ones that used to be called 'flying spiders' over here[/quote']

those are damned cool. I Don't think I noticed you are in Perth. I loved my short visit there. I still want to go back to Rottnest Island, go camping and fishing...