• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Sadly' date=' I'm getting a 403 error when I try to see Xavier's picture. :([/quote']

Maybe direct linkage will help:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkq7te6QR81qjqa53o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1304737745&Signature=1SXd56kYYiLOdIH78sm94DF1xxA%3D

The above link is working for me in 'preview' mode, so maybe you'll have better luck with it. Hope so.

Guest Celt

Sigh. Another "Atlas Shrugged" joke gone wrong....

There is no such thing as a successful Atlas Shrugged joke, unless it was the book itself.

There is no such thing as a successful Atlas Shrugged joke' date=' unless it was the book itself.[/quote']

Except for this one, I think.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Which leads me to ponder if anyone's ever going to write The Objectivist's Guide to Tolkien.

Guest Celt

Except for this one, I think.

Which leads me to ponder if anyone's ever going to write The Objectivist's Guide to Tolkien.

OK, you're right, there is one. :thumbup:

What about the club owned by Piper in Charmed? (looked it up: P3)

4355492665a4897334139l.jpg

Ugh, Charmed. They should have named it Cheese.

(Of course, the only person I actually know who watched the show was my ex-wife, so I may not be entirely unbiased in my assessment. :) )

I liked Charmed.

It was a decent show, but too often formulaic and repetitive. Demon attacks; they beat by throwing potion or chanting that "power of three" thing. For a show with a concept of "three magic-using sisters", it was remarkably unimaginative in that respect.

When they got actual powers, the show went up a notch.

There is no such thing as a successful Atlas Shrugged joke' date=' unless it was the book itself.[/quote']

I liked Atlas Shrugged. Heck, I like Atlas Shrugged even today. Though I prefer The Fountainhead.

On the other hand, I once gave serious consideration to writing a Destroyer/Atlas Shrugged crossover fanfic, The Strike. See, important and powerful individuals are going mysteriously missing. This is a job for CURE! Emperor Smith fears that some nefarious individual is kidnapping these vital individuals in order to destabilize the US economy and bring economic ruin to America. (And, well, he's right...except about the kidnapping part.)

So Remo and Chiun are on the case. They do their usual bickering and kill/maim/torture/destroy their way to the heart of the secret. Dagny, of course, is instantly obsessed with love and lust for Remo (the manliest manly man there is, thanks to Sinanju), but he's bored by her. Remo and Chiun encounter Ragnar Danneskold and murderize him and his crew of pirates. They eventually find their way to the hidden valley where the missing industrialists are all living, awaiting the arrival of their not-so-charismatic leader, John Gaunt (yes, really). They haven't been kidnapped at all! It's a giant conspiracy, just as Emperor Smith foretold. Chiun is greatly surprised--and grudgingly impressed--to discover that they eschew paper money and insist on gold just like him! For decadent, white Americas they're not half bad. But a contract is a contract, as he's sure they will certainly understand, so he still has to murderize them. No hard feelings. The last words Dagny hears are "That's the biz, sweetheart."

As for CHARMED, or as my wife called it, "your tit show"--I mostly watched it for the eye candy, I will freely admit. Especially Piper (Holly Marie Combs, who really just pushes all my buttons). But they did occasionally do an episode that showed some creativity and had surprising plot twists and interesting use of magic. Not often, mind you, but occasionally. My favorite "bit" being when the new third sister had to write a spell to vanquish the Demon du Jour. She shows up at the last moment, whips out the paper, the three sisters recite it--and the bad guy is vaporized.

But instead of the usual rhyming doggerel, it was a haiku. A proper haiku, at that (seasonal focus and everything). The other sisters gape at her.

"What?" she says. "I SUCK at rhymes." That was entertaining.

Oh' date=' so now it's "An (Illiterate) Time Traveling Fictional Bar Crawl" which excludes my favorite because [i']I like to read?[/i] Hello, I'm NERD RAGING here! This does NOT help. :tonguewav

[/snark]

They *should* have had the Mos Eisley Cantina in there! :P~~~

Edit: [sheepish]It was. Serves me for relying on my failing memory.[/sheepish]