Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Well' date=' technically those two are both dead...[/quote']

Now....

By all accounts Groucho's decline was a sad thing to behold. He tried to leave all his wealth to a much younger "companion". I don't recall whether that survived probate or not. Still, he was the last surviving Marx Brother among the ones who performed regularly (I think that Gummo, who gave up performing to become the act's manager, may have died later but I'm not sure).

Groucho was also one of the people responsible for the invention of the "cue card", a tool used by TV personalities to remind them of what they need to say. A lot of what he did on You Bet Your Life was improvised, but the producers knew there would be times when inspiration would fail him. So they had cue cards made with Grouchoesque witticisms he could fall back on. (This was nothing new to Groucho -- many of his most famous film witticisms were written by playwright George S. Kaufman, who had also collaborated with the act on Broadway).

Re: "Neat" Pictures

How do you even practice that? How do you come up with that? Awesome display of the smaller opponent getting the upper hand.

Well, it's a prearranged demo of a "basic" spinning head scissors takedown. You see it all the time in pro wrestling, the competitive forms scene and it's made it's way into several movies :)

For the guy being thrown, it's not hard to practice at all. It's a very easy forward roll. He even puts his hand down on the mat first.

Takes some measure of athleticism to jump directly onto a standing opponents shoulders, but she's vaulting using his arm/shoulder, so not quite as hard as you might think. He's giving her a slight lift and turn in the process, too aid her leap and the spin.

Works best with a pair like that, where the person taking the fall is heavier than the one performing the throw, but not too much taller.

This is not a criticism mind you. She does the technique very well :) (though I can't quite tell if she has her feet crossed the correct way for a proper head scissor submission finish...)

EDIT: thought my initial post sounded a bit... smug... hopefully fixed now...