• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

My campaign has a rare' date=' indestructible metal ore which can only be found on the planet Balxite. Anything made of the purest Balxite is completely invulnerable to harm.[/quote']

But if the ore is indestructible, how can you refine it? Wouldn't be impervious to all smithing and metalworking techniques imaginable?

My campaign has a rare' date=' indestructible metal ore which can only be found on the planet Balxite. Anything made of the purest Balxite is completely invulnerable to harm.[/quote']

How do they forge items of pure Balxite, exactly?

Never mind, it's the comics.

Another question: does anybody remember the name of the hypothetical element Asimov wrote about; the one that dissolves just before it contacts a solid surface?

But if the ore is indestructible' date=' how can you [i']refine[/i] it? Wouldn't be impervious to all smithing and metalworking techniques imaginable?

Yeah, what he said. How do you make something from a metal you can't harm?

How do they forge items of pure Balxite, exactly?

Never mind, it's the comics.

Another question: does anybody remember the name of the hypothetical element Asimov wrote about; the one that dissolves just before it contacts a solid surface?

Resublimated Thiotimoline

Resublimated Thiotimoline

I read the book of his early short stories. He describes how he wrote the first to practice his doctorial disertation. The story came out a week before his orals. He was so nervous until at the end of his orals, one of the professors asked him about the Thermodynamic properties of Thiotimoline. At that point he knew he had passed.

I read the book of his early short stories. He describes how he wrote the first to practice his doctorial disertation. The story came out a week before his orals. He was so nervous until at the end of his orals' date=' one of the professors asked him about the Thermodynamic properties of Thiotimoline. At that point he knew he had passed.[/quote']

http://io9.com/5887014/meet-thiotimoline-the-chemical-compound-isaac-asimov-invented-to-spoof-boring-science-writing

Is that move legal in competition? It's neat and all' date=' but it looks extremely dangerous. Do it wrong and somebody could end up with a broken neck, and my understanding is that martial arts competitions (in the real world, as opposed to MMA fighting and video games) place a very high value on participant safety.[/quote']

Honestly it looks too slow and flashy to use in a real match. Dude just needs to duck or drop his arms and the girl falls down. Move is slower than a spinning back kick and I used to run over guys who tried those in sparring.

But if the ore is indestructible' date=' how can you [i']refine[/i] it? Wouldn't be impervious to all smithing and metalworking techniques imaginable?

Well, only the purest Balxite is invulnerable. The ore, while indestructible, can be malleable under the right conditions--using a molecular manipulator, etc.

WANT!

My school is being rebuilt, so I get a new classroom next year. I've just discovered how I'm going to decorate it.

(I'm all outta Rep. Somebody get Matrix3 multiple times for me, will you?)

One of my colleagues, the nuclear physics theoretician and grandmother of three, takes her quantum mechanics class out onto the mall on campus every spring and they draw Feynman diagrams on it with colored sidewalk chalk.

One of my colleagues' date=' the nuclear physics theoretician and grandmother of three, takes her quantum mechanics class out onto the mall on campus every spring and they draw Feynman diagrams on it with colored sidewalk chalk.[/quote']

I read an anecdote in one of Feynman's books a few years ago; someone asked him why there were Feynman diagrams all over his van. "Because I'm Richard Feynman!" he replied.