• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

I'm pretty sure that some of those Tesla achievments are bogus, like the earthquake machine and the free energy tower. Attempted, maybe, but not used.

And people need to accept that plugging away at a technology until it is useful (and worth buying) is important. Sure, Alexander Flemming was the guy who discovered pennicilin. But that's all he did. He noted that that mold had that antibiotic effect, then he wrote it down. Done. Somebody else had to come and do years of work, finding the perfect strain and building bioreactors and making enough penicillin to treat one patient, and even then they had to recycle the penicillin from the patients urine, and even then they couldn't sustain the dose enough to cure the guy.

The incrimental stuff is important. The marketing is important. Running a company, coordinating both those and many other tasks is important. So yeah, Tesla did some cool things and I would feel extra dumb sitting in a room with him. But Edison did some impressive things too. Some butt-headed things, yes (the DC devotion, the electrocution, etc), but some impressive things on top of those.

As I said to a friend at work, it is fine inventing something, however where Edison beats Tesla is that his (or "his" whichever you prefer) inventions were used and of benefit to society, eg: light bulb, phonograph and IIRC the movie camera too. I also think it important that Tesla tried to bring his inventions to market and benefit society and that powerful people stood in his way preventing this.

Very impressive. But I'm not sure about one' date=' maybe two, of the claims therein.[/quote']

As am I. But the overall point, which is that Tesla is incredibly underrated, stands. And Edison, douchebag or not, still deserves some credit for bringing various technologies to the masses, IMO.

Very impressive. But I'm not sure about one' date=' maybe two, of the claims therein.[/quote']

Including the claim that he was a Serb. IIRC, his father was Serbian, his mother was Croatian, and both sides both claimed him as 'one of thier own'.

"If my theories are proven true, the Germans will call me a German and the French will call me a Citizen of the World. If my theories turn out to be false, the French will say I'm a German, and the Germans will say I am a Jew." - Albert Einstien