• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

I would watch the HELL out of an Agent Coulson movie.

I dunno. He's a great supporting character, but can he carry a feature film? Part of the charm of the character (for me) is that we don't know much about him except that he collects Captain America bubble-gum cards.

Every time "Asgardian tech" is mentioned, I throw up in my mouth a little bit. Why couldn't they have just let it stay "magic"? Then they would have already established that it existed and it would be easy to bring in Dr. Strange, or any number of other magic based heroes and scenarios. Not to mention the wonderful banter between Stark and Thor. I think that was a lost opportunity.

Because the line between magic and tech really is blurry when you're dealing with Marvel's "cosmic" stuff. Kirby's depictions of Asgard were deliberately modern, with high-tech machines and everything. I wouldn't sweat it, though. I think the point is made sufficiently that any given story could call it magic or alien tech and audiences wouldn't be confused.

Because the line between magic and tech really is blurry when you're dealing with Marvel's "cosmic" stuff. Kirby's depictions of Asgard were deliberately modern' date=' with high-tech machines and everything. I wouldn't sweat it, though. I think the point is made sufficiently that any given story could call it magic or alien tech and audiences wouldn't be confused.[/quote']

Maybe they made a conscious decision that the Asgardians were "Clarkean Mages".

Maybe they made a conscious decision that the Asgardians were "Clarkean Mages".

No 'Maybe' about it.

Jane Foster: Describe exactly what happened to you last night.

Thor: Your ancestors called it magic...

[Thor skims through a book on Norse mythology]

Thor: ...but you call it science. I come from a land where they are one and the same.

Jane Foster: [about the mythology book] Where'd you find this?

Erik Selvig: The chidren's section. I just wanted to show you how silly his story was.

Jane Foster: But you're the one who's always pushing me to chase down every possibility, every alternative.

Erik Selvig: I'm talking about science, not magic.

Jane Foster: Well, "magic's just science we don't understand yet." Arthur C. Clarke.

Erik Selvig: Who wrote science-fiction.

Jane Foster: A precursor to science fact!

Erik Selvig: In some cases, yeah.

Jane Foster: Well, if there's an Einstein-Rosen bridge, then there's something on the other side. And advanced beings could have crossed it!

Erik Selvig: Oh, Jane.

Darcy: A primitive culture like the Vikings might have worshiped them as deities.

Jane Foster: Yes! Yes, exactly. Thank you.

-Thor (2011)

Every time "Asgardian tech" is mentioned' date=' I throw up in my mouth a little bit. Why couldn't they have just let it stay "magic"? Then they would have already established that it existed and it would be easy to bring in Dr. Strange, or any number of other magic based heroes and scenarios. Not to mention the wonderful banter between Stark and Thor. I think that was a lost opportunity.[/quote']

They did. Kind of.

Thor stated that in Asgard technology and magic were the same thing. Asgardian 'tech' seems to definitely fall into Clarke's Law.

edit: scooped!