• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

I think you are all missing the point. I realize the "excuse" that was given in the movie, but that isn't what the Asgardians wielded. The wielded magic, cosmic energy, the thing of myths. Sure we can rationalize and remove its awesome by "explaining" it, but it isn't supposed to be explainable. It's magic. It didn't need to be explained. Do you see Christians going around saying that Jesus' miracles were just advanced technology? Hindus referring to their gods as aliens? No, they are gods, end of discussion. That is how far the movie should have went with the subject. Honestly, trying to explain it as tech was pandering to the audience and dumbing down an ageless classic tale. In affect, they reduced the wonder, power, and godliness of the gods by making them technology based. And come on, if your tech is so advanced it appears to be magic, then shouldn't you're weaponry by on that scale, not swords, hammers, and axes? And you know why the hand weapons work in Thor's "world"? Because they are M.A.G.I.C. I think that every person that watched the movie had no problem with Asgardians being godlike beings with magical powers, consciously or subconsciously, and the tech explanation was just there to make it fit better with the world of Iron Man rather than making it an addition to the universe.

Okay, getting off the soapbox now. Don't get me wrong, ultimately I am grateful that they were even able to get all the superhero movies to the big screen and do so well with them because that means there will be many more to come. I just wish that they would give the viewing audience a bit more credit for being able to suspend disbelief. I mean come on they could accept the Twilight vampires without batting an eye...

I think you are all missing the point. I realize the "excuse" that was given in the movie, but that isn't what the Asgardians wielded. The wielded magic, cosmic energy, the thing of myths. Sure we can rationalize and remove its awesome by "explaining" it, but it isn't supposed to be explainable. It's magic. It didn't need to be explained. Do you see Christians going around saying that Jesus' miracles were just advanced technology? Hindus referring to their gods as aliens? No, they are gods, end of discussion. That is how far the movie should have went with the subject. Honestly, trying to explain it as tech was pandering to the audience and dumbing down an ageless classic tale. In affect, they reduced the wonder, power, and godliness of the gods by making them technology based. And come on, if your tech is so advanced it appears to be magic, then shouldn't you're weaponry by on that scale, not swords, hammers, and axes? And you know why the hand weapons work in Thor's "world"? Because they are M.A.G.I.C. I think that every person that watched the movie had no problem with Asgardians being godlike beings with magical powers, consciously or subconsciously, and the tech explanation was just there to make it fit better with the world of Iron Man rather than making it an addition to the universe.

Okay, getting off the soapbox now. Don't get me wrong, ultimately I am grateful that they were even able to get all the superhero movies to the big screen and do so well with them because that means there will be many more to come. I just wish that they would give the viewing audience a bit more credit for being able to suspend disbelief. I mean come on they could accept the Twilight vampires without batting an eye...

Mostly agree.

and...Asgardian gods...glitter? :winkgrin:or maybe just Loki

I don't think they did explain it, or have, in any way. Jane called is science, Thor used he terminology, she even had a fancy name for it.

But there's only one way Thor's hammer works like it does: magic. Plain and simple.

The tesseract was never explained as anything more than an energy source, they called it Magic in Captain America. No one even gave a pseudo-sciencey startrek like explanation of harnessing the power, they just hooked some wires up to it and *poof* like magic it works.

Personally, I think they did a good job of taking magic, and using terms that a scientist like Jane would use to try and explain the magic away without actually explaining the magic away. A character like Jane would never accept "magic" as what it is.

I don't think they did explain it, or have, in any way. Jane called is science, Thor used he terminology, she even had a fancy name for it.

Personally, I think they did a good job of taking magic, and using terms that a scientist like Jane would use to try and explain the magic away without actually explaining the magic away. A character like Jane would never accept "magic" as what it is.

Yeah, they talked about it being tech several times, as quoted above. Watch Thor again and you'll see. And since you opened the can of stink that was Jane as a scientist... really? The only reason they even did that was because they needed the "technology tie-in" that I've been talking about. They didn't have any other reason to change her profession. She still could have been connected to... forgot his name... the professor, in any number of ways. Look at the rainbow bridge, that was pretty obviously technology with a big missing heaping of magic. Again, I didn't hate Thor, but because of those blatant bad choices, it moved it to the bottom of the Avenger movies.