• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Re: Gigan picture

Off-topic, but does anyone know the name of the Godzilla villain with a drill on his head, or somesuch? My first-grade son played him in a computer game once. The character drills underground and pops up under his opponent. We tried to find a movie with the character. We got Godzilla v.s. Gigan, who apparently looks similar; but no drill.

Do you know' date=' is that a fractal? And if so, would you happen to know the generator?[/quote']

Sorry, don't know. It could be a fractal, I suppose, though at first blush I don't think so. Fractals aren't a specialty of mine, and while I do like them, I've only ever fooled around with some of the more common ones. So if it is, I have no idea about the generator. Sorry. :(

Hyperion, enhanced color, from the Cassini mission. As always, click on the image in the page that comes up to get a larger wallpaper-worthy (and in this case, rotated) version.

That's one strange-looking hunk of ice. Now, if the Space Maggots were to emerge from that, one planet-devouring maggot per crater (Hyperion is about 250 km across), and take flight looking for their next meal ... there's an adventure for your superheroes.

Sure. They'd be, oh, maybe 100 meters in diameter and maybe a kilometer long in larval form. That's be about right for the craters you see there. Just think, when they infested Hyperion a million years back, it was the size of Titan (diameter about 20 times the long axis of Hyperion now).

Wait'll we see the surface writhe, and then they'll emerge. :eek:

Just think' date=' when they infested Hyperion a million years back, it was the size of Titan (diameter about 20 times the long axis of Hyperion now).[/quote']

So...if the moon shrunk because the maggots ate it...where'd the mass go? If the maggots have waste products, then some mass would come back out the other end, right? So the moon wouldn't have shrunk that much? :ugly:

So...if the moon shrunk because the maggots ate it...where'd the mass go? If the maggots have waste products' date=' then some mass would come back [i']out[/i] the other end, right? So the moon wouldn't have shrunk that much? :ugly:

It compacted into superdense materials in the maggots' innards, to be later expelled as a means of propulsion to their next meal.

It compacted into superdense materials in the maggots' innards' date=' to be later expelled as a means of propulsion to their next meal.[/quote']

Rubber science to the rescue! :thumbup:

(Of course, I'll refrain from noting that the mass, though very compacted, could still be detected by the moon's influence on other bodies. And since the moon doesn't compute to be that massive, the mass must actually be gone. But since this is comic-book 'science', that can be ignored. ;) )