• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Many years ago I was working at a fast-food restaurant in Montreal, when a tall middle-aged gentleman in a Stetson (obvious tourist) came up to me to ask, "'Scuse me, do you speak American?"

My innate manners curbed me from replying, "Well hell yeah, boy, what'cha wanna know?"

There is a Korean-American comedian from Knoxville Tennesee who tells the story of his first visit to Souel, Korea.

While seated on the bus, a (caucasian) American tourist walked up to him and asked...

"Is-a this-ee the bus-ee to Souel-ee?"

He answered, in his best Southern accent

"I reckon so, ma'am."

There is a Korean-American comedian from Knoxville Tennesee who tells the story of his first visit to Souel, Korea.

While seated on the bus, a (caucasian) American tourist walked up to him and asked...

"Is-a this-ee the bus-ee to Souel-ee?"

He answered, in his best Southern accent

"I reckon so, ma'am."

American tourists in this part of the world: one couple were angry that the Midnight Sun was the same one as the regular sun, and another couple that wanted to check in at the Jukkasjärvi Ice Hotel in July.

American tourists in this part of the world: one couple were angry that the Midnight Sun was the same one as the regular sun' date=' and another couple that wanted to check in at the Jukkasjärvi Ice Hotel in July.[/quote']

On behalf of the stupid population of my country, I apologize. We have a statistically improbable number of morons with disposable income.

No, we never had anything on television that stank as badly as that show.

First of all it is Exeter as I should well know as I lived 40 odd miles from there for 18 years, then it should be T'was then not T'was approximately and also you should have said on not in.

Honestly don't any of you speak English ?

Ayup. ;)

And Exter was solely a typo on my part. As for the rest of it - :nya:

Many years ago I was working at a fast-food restaurant in Montreal, when a tall middle-aged gentleman in a Stetson (obvious tourist) came up to me to ask, "'Scuse me, do you speak American?"

My innate manners curbed me from replying, "Well hell yeah, boy, what'cha wanna know?"

One Sunday morning, after an SCA event down in North Carolina, we visited a Shoney's for breakfast. The lady at the front asked how many of us there were, and the leader of our party—who's from Vancouver—just sort of stared at her, obviously not understanding her accent and diction. I ended up being a translator between Southern and Canadian.

About 5 years ago, I was sent by a previous employer to Wellington, NZ for two weeks of training. One day in the office, there was a loud conversation about how stupid and rude Americans are, with a Brit making the most noise. When I wandered over, a couple of the folks around him smirked a bit, but basically stayed quiet.

I asked him, "You know, I'm an American, right?"

"No, you're a Canadian, because you're polite and you're not stupid," he replied.

He only believed me when I showed him my passport.

About a year later, and I'm working for a different company based out of Calgary, Alberta. In that office, several folks thought that I was Canadian, but just from one of the provinces "back east". They were easier to convince, however, especially when I would get hassled by Canadian Immigration for "coming up to steal our jobs." ;)

Part of it is that I'm generally quiet and polite. Part of it's my accent, which is a mix of some "Down East" (Mainer) plus some "Southern" (filtered through central Florida's melting pot) plus a lot of Vegas/So Cal (what I used to jokingly call "Dude" when I first got here in the early 80s).

JoeG

One Sunday morning' date=' after an SCA event down in North Carolina, we visited a Shoney's for breakfast. The lady at the front asked how many of us there were, and the leader of our party—who's from Vancouver—just sort of stared at her, obviously not understanding her accent and diction. I ended up being a translator between Southern and Canadian.[/quote']

During one of my overseas trips, I had to translate between a British Customs Agent and a denizen of inner city Chicago. I got a laugh when I told the agent "I speak American. It can be mistaken for English by the inexperienced."

The 50 US states, Redistricted to have roughly equivalent population. Even the names are fun! Though I do wish the artist had included a zoomed in map of the area around New York. Them is some tiny states.

(also, the people I knew in Billings would sooner go drink mining pond runoff than be governed from Salt Lake. Just saying)

http://fakeisthenewreal.org/reform/

spoilered for size

electoral10-1100.jpg

On behalf of the stupid population of my country' date=' I apologize. We have a statistically improbable number of morons with disposable income.[/quote']

It's not a statistical improbability at all; it's just basic cause and effect. Having too much money convinces people they don't need to think.

(or something like that....)