• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Oppenheimer after witnessing the first atom bomb test (spoilered for animation)

LGb7YgA.gif

We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.

During one of my overseas trips' date=' I had to translate between a British Customs Agent and a denizen of inner city Chicago. I got a laugh when I told the agent "I speak American. It can be mistaken for English by the inexperienced."[/quote']

I had to translate once between a guy from Molokai and an Iranian Persian from L.A. It was hilarious.

I had to translate once between a guy from Molokai and an Iranian Persian from L.A. It was hilarious.

I once had to translate between someone from Quebec and a Parisian in Inverness, Scotland. No, they didn't understand each other's French (or English), so they got to understand my English...

Hmm...let's see...I've lived in Shasta, Tule, Big Thicket, Phoenix, and Tidewater. Not sure exactly whether I lived in Washington or Susquehanna, and not sure about Blue Ridge or Shenandoah.

The 50 US states, Redistricted to have roughly equivalent population. Even the names are fun! Though I do wish the artist had included a zoomed in map of the area around New York. Them is some tiny states.

(also, the people I knew in Billings would sooner go drink mining pond runoff than be governed from Salt Lake. Just saying)

http://fakeisthenewreal.org/reform/

spoilered for size

electoral10-1100.jpg

Soundscan only tracks actual Retail Sales. So I doubt it's a percentage of that, as Soundscan is the only reliable industry wide measurement of music sales. Digital sales are measured regardless of delivery (mobile vs desktop - and even then "Mobile" uses the Internet, so it seems odd to split that out, not to mention possibly difficult.)

With the appearance of TV, I assume that might mean 'Television shows that licensed music not written specifically for it' which feels weird to have it suddenly appear in 1989 but possible I guess. In which case 1) I don't know the source and 2) I'm not sure what it's actually measuring...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/Sanzio_01_Plato_Aristotle.jpg

Plato (left) and Aristotle (right), a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge through empirical observation and experience, while holding a copy of hisNicomachean Ethics in his hand. Plato holds his Timaeus and gestures to the heavens, representing his belief in The Forms
Plato's expression is just so darn funny. His look is so deadpan and his answer with his gesture (finger pointing upward, like his is swearing with a hand gesture, and rolling his eyes) just adds to the humour. Hilarious.

And posted here as the detail is just neat. And I didn't post it to Funny Pictures as I don't think anyone would get my humour in it, but might think it is neat.