Dr. Anomaly

"Neat" Pictures

On 6/28/2018 at 11:25 PM, Cygnia said:

image.thumb.png.d058dfd08a63abcf8f99f930a037b1b2.png

City-dwellers like me miss so much of the night sky, what with electric lights drowning it out.

I remember quite a few years ago, my region of North America experienced a widespread power blackout for several hours. Whole major cities were in darkness. It was a clear night, and I don't know if I'd ever seen that many stars outside of a planetarium show.

At mid-winter a couple of decades ago, we were out snowmobiling. On the way home, after sunset and in the middle of a frozen lake, the snowmobile died. It took a couple of hours to get relief, and meantime there was bugger-all to do apart from chatting, freezing a little bit, and stargazing. I don't think I've ever seen the galaxy as clearly as that night.

And then there was that time with the mind-blowing aurora -- when I did military service, towards the end our company played opposition in a war game. No need for flares or night-vision goggles, the night was that bright.

As much as I love living in Las Vegas, the light bleed is just awful for seeing the night sky. Back around my high school days, a friend of mine and I would take a telescope out to the desert area near Blue Diamond (which is partially shielded by a ridge line from what is now developed SW Las Vegas), but we noticed back then that the lights were encroaching more and more each time we went. We stopped sometime around 1990 when the light bleed became too bad.

I can usually see Orion, and a bunch of the brighter stars, but the Milky Way is pretty much lost in the light pollution. On the rare nights that we're overcast, the reflected light through my skylights is bright enough for me to easily see around my house without turning on lights, and I can read from the glow outside on my patio.

19 hours ago, dmjalund said:

good luck getting THAT delivered!

Indeed, but IIRC, someone at NASA actually compared Io's appearance to a pizza when Voyager 1 relayed the moon's first images. I was just quoting that person.