"Neat" Pictures

Dr. Anomaly

Thanks the Slits never had the exposure and recognition that the others did.

The Pretenders had a number of chart hits.

Poly Styrene was part of X-Ray Spex who had a number of chart hits

Blondie and Siouxsie and the Banshees are also ones who had chart hits.

Pauline Black was part of The Selector who was part of the Two Tone movement and again had chart hits.

• Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

The troll in Seattle

... only a few blocks away from an old statue of Lenin, originally from Slovakia and brought over shortly after the collapse of the Warsaw Pact.

2 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

Say what you want about Lenin, but the man could absolutely rock a forehead.

The statue of Lenin

22 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

IMO, SG-1 peaked during Season 5.

Season 6 was a little uneven just due to the lack of Michael Shanks, but I found Jonas to be an interesting enough character to fill in for a season.

Season 7 was pretty good. Anubis really came into his own as a villain.

Season 8 was lacking because RDA was only tangentially involved. I thought the other three actors to the great job that season, though. Conversation between Daniel, Oma, and Anubis in the diner was one of the high points in one of the big surprises of the series.

It's okay with that Seasons 9 and 10 were fun, but didn't really feel like SG-1. I understand why the hardcore fans referred of these two seasons as Fargate. And the Ori are just not as likable as the Replicators or the Goa'uld. Total Mary Sues.

41 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Season 6 was a little uneven just due to the lack of Michael Shanks, but I found Jonas to be an interesting enough character to fill in for a season.

Season 7 was pretty good. Anubis really came into his own as a villain.

Season 8 was lacking because RDA was only tangentially involved. I thought the other three actors to the great job that season, though. Conversation between Daniel, Oma, and Anubis in the diner was one of the high points in one of the big surprises of the series.

It's okay with that Seasons 9 and 10 were fun, but didn't really feel like SG-1. I understand why the hardcore fans referred of these two seasons as Fargate. And the or I are just not as likable as the Replicators or the Goa'uld. Total Mary Sues.

You basically summed up why I hold my belief.

Beyond the fifth season...

• Half of the principal cast was either absent or markedly disinterested in performing.
  • There was a sharp increase in NID/Earth episodes. While these made an appearance as early as Season 1 ("Cold Lazarus"...though this scenario was actually intriguing) and 2 ("Touchstone", which featured the proto-NID) , they had yet to become a series fixture.
  • Stories veered away from exploration/diplomacy and focused on conspiracy/war.
  • We were treated to a conspicuous amount of space battles.
  • Lastly, the Goa'uld were pushed to the back of the cupboard to make room for the shiny new Ori action figures.

Despite my waning investment in the series from 2002 onward, I still found the odd episode decent or even good. However, it became clear that the je nais sais quoi that made Stargate SG-1 stand out was long gone.

My own expectation is that a long-running television series needs to reinvent itself periodically to retain an audience's interest. Too long without that and characters grow predictable, plots become repetitive, opponents are no longer taken seriously after being beaten so often. New blood and new ideas have to be injected from time to time.