• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Hey wow' date=' I drew that. ;) (well, mostly Chris did - I did the trees, based on Domesday and a couple of other documents).[/quote']

Y'know, I never even noticed that signature before...it was just a "neat map" that turned up in the download of graphics from one of the usenet newsgroups I frequent.

If you'd prefer, I'll remove it. I certainly didn't mean to infringe on your rights or anything.

No, no, leave it up. It's nice to know the work is spreading - it's on a 'hidden' area of my website because it goes with an as-yet-unfinished scenario.

The text that goes with it is at http://www.minarsas.demon.co.uk/harn/scenarios

Chris has also done some speculative reconstruction of how some of the towns and villages in north-west Nottinghamshire may have looked int he medieval period, which you can find on his website at http://www.aedificium.org

According to the note from my relatives on the other end of the e-mail chain' date=' these types of clouds are rare, but they tend to show up [i']after[/i] the storm is over. So while they look freaky and cool, they're not threatening.

There is a link on the page that takes you to a university site that explains more about them.

Webpage with incredibly cool mammatus clouds over Hastings NE:

http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/june2004hastings-mammatus.html

I acknowledge what Lightray says further down the thread, but still from my time in eastern New Mexico, seeing a sky like that makes me really really want to stay close to a nice, deep, concrete-reinforced bunker with many days of supplies and its own generator in it.

According to the note from my relatives on the other end of the e-mail chain' date=' these types of clouds are rare, but they tend to show up [i']after[/i] the storm is over. So while they look freaky and cool, they're not threatening.

We get those here sometimes, though not that low. Those are indeed "neat pictures."

I acknowledge what Lightray says further down the thread' date=' but still from my time in eastern New Mexico, seeing a sky like that makes me really really want to stay close to a nice, deep, concrete-reinforced bunker with many days of supplies and its own generator in it.[/quote']

Heh. From my time living in Nebraska as a kid, and visiting relatives, I find my reaction now tends to be "wow, green sky. that's weird." and going about my business.

Great Plains storms tend to be awesome to watch, but you can forget how dangerous they can be. Kind of like how Gulf Coast residents used to be so blasé about hurricanes (until recently).

edit: aww. this takes me back to when we used to go "fishing" with my grandpa when the Platte River dried up. (you'd walk out into the 'river', select a fish wriggling around, pick it up, and walk back) That was down around Grand Island, IIRC at Mahoney State Park.