Question on Character Design

ChipDancer

Either Multiform or Only In Heroic ID would seem to be the way to go.

Hmmm...I *suppose* you could use a self-only, no range "Transform"...

Or a bunch of different "Aid"s...

Yeah, there's a lot of different ways it *could* be done, but Multiform is probably the easiest & least messy, mechanics-wise, not to mention giving you a nice point break. Just remember that things like Skills & Psyche Disads don't automatically get shared between forms (you have to add them in for each form, even if they're the same in both forms) and take that into account as needed.

Originally posted by ChipDancer

Multi-form is a power, along with the lines I was thinking, as OIHID; that is a limiter. From what I understand they go together.

Any other ideas?

Not quite. In fact it is quite rare that you have a character who merits both. It is really a question of how much access a character has to skills in each form.

A multiform is generally used when a character has useful powers and/or abilites but also changes into a second form that has seperate powers and/or abilites. In general these forms are different from each other and do not have access to eachother's abilites. The classic example is a werewolf of legend (NOT a white wolf style wherewolf). The human form has all the skills possesed by a normal human being. The wolf form is stronger, tougher and has teeth, but lacks any skills or social contacts possesed by the human form.

Only in hero ID is a limit in that you are just one guy and have one set of abilities, but some of them can only be used some of the time. When you are a normal you have one set of abilites, when you are in super form you STILL HAVE the set of abilites that you did as a normal, and all the other stuff you bought with the limit. An important provisio is that there has to be some way to deny you the ability to change. If it is almost impossible to stop you from changing then you will never get stuck without your powers and the "normal" form isn't really a limit at all. A classic example of OIHID is He-Man. When he is a hero he still has all the knowledge an abilites of Prince Adam (They are basically the same person), but is also much stronger and tougher. He needs the sword to change, but after he changes he doesn't need the sword to remain in his He-Man form.

You are correct in pointing out that Multiform is a power and OIHID is a limit. Think of it this way:

A wereworf and it's human form are basically two different characters with two totally seperate sets of abilites. A human who can become a werewolf is more formidable than that same human would be if he couldn't, and therefore pays points for the privledge of changing.

A "most powerful man in the universe" who is also a whimpy prince isn't as all-around good as a guy who is "the most powerful man in the universe" all the time. He therefore gets a point break on all the powers he can't use when he doesn't have the oppertunity to change.

I almost forgot:

The exact workings of OIHID were clarified in the 5th Ed rules FAQ. Some OIHID rules of thumb that were generally accepted in older Editions of Hero system are no longer correct. The two big ones are:

1) A character who has powers bought OIHID *Must* have some limit that would prevent him from changing. This can be He-Man not having his sword, a Power Ranger without a Morpher, Shazam being gagged and unable to say the magic word, or whatever. If changing into hero form is unstoppable, you don't get a limit.

The Crowns of Krim from CKC work this way. They technically have human forms but it is pretty much impossible to prevent them from changing.

2) If you have OIHID you do not need to pay points for an ability to change into your hero form. Just as Peter Parker doesn't have to pay points to become Spiderman, Billy Batson does not need to pay points to become Shazaam! The difference is that Peter didn't buy anything OIHID and when he changes his abilites don't really change. When Billy changes he gets much better as all his OIHID powers kick in.

The lightning show is just a special effect and doesn't cost points unless he tries to attack people with it.

OK, others have weighed in on the OHID/Multiform decision and OHID looks like the prefered flavor.

Now, to the meat of the matter...

What can the Guyver do?

1) he's stronger, faster and better than before. He crushes skulls with his biometallic hands, leaps around real good and in general whips more butt than a Japanese schoolboy could hope for. Japanese Schoolgirls, on the other hand have almost limitless power in many genres. :D

Tragically, we don't have much concrete data on pure lifting power for him, however, he's stronger than most Zoanoids shown. My tapes are at my parent's house or I'd see what the Ramothees & Gregole types could lift, but I wanna say the Ramothees are like 5xhuman or so and he outclasses them badly. If only they'd throw cars at each other so we could see for sure. However, I have some recollection of the scientist zoanoid picking up and smashing a truck on the road.

Let's say Guyver has a 45 Str just for laughs. Sho has an 8.

Dex & Spd:

He's definitely faster but the jump from 8-11 Dex Sho to 18-20 Dex Guyver would cover that nicely. Spd goes from 2 to an easy 4-5.

Con: I dunno. Sho's probably 8-10 as he seemed pretty easily winded. Let's shoot for 23-25. Sounds suitably robust to me.

Body: Sho's a human and is looking pretty baseline there, Guyver takes a good pounding several times like the Enzyme fight or the Hyper-Zoanoids, but he does dissolve when hit by Enzymes attacks seveal times. The issue is clouded by the Guyver's Regen from Dead power. 15 sounds like a good start.

PD/ED/resistant defenses: I don't remember Sho taking too many hits without the armor but he's pretty stout in it. I'd say 25-28 PD & ED, 12-15 rPD/rED.

Rec/End/Stun: just go with figured stats for now.

Running: He can chase cars well and runs with that cool rip the street from speed/power FX. Let's say 12", x4 NC.

Superleap: maybe 12" max, not really a primary feature.

Flight: Guyver's gravity manipulation ability does let him fly. Let's go with 15-18", x8 NC

Powers: Guyver is a killing machine, he's all about the HKA/RKA for maximum carnage.

I'd be tempted to give him either AP Str or a basic HKA based on raw force to represent the whole 'squeese faces off' thing.

Give him an AP HKA for his vibroswords, seems like a 4d w/Str, no KB 'cause he gets that cool slice through/fall apart thing going.

Head Laser: 3d RKA, maybe a 2d RKA, Autofire x5 as he shot lots of stuff in that warehouse fight rescuing Mizuki.

Sonics: that's an EB, I think, seemed less lethal than shooting people in the face with lasers anyway. Go with Invisible to Sight and set it around 8-9d for now.

Gravity Cannon: that sucker's an RKA that puts big messy holes in stuff. 4d6 RKA and his best ranged move other than the big gun...

The Mega-Smasher: this thing looks like he keeps the Yamato's little brother in his ribcage. It's gross, way way powerful and definitely used mostly as a finishing move. That thing blows trenches that say AE:Line to me. The whole screaming vaporizing target thing shouts AP, possibly double and that's definitely an RKA. Make that bad boy a 6d6 RKA, 2xAP, AE: Line, Extra Time +1 phase and it should zorch any Zoanoid good. Zoalords are gonna laugh at you though.

Other goodies include enhanced senses of some type, 360 degree a likely one, the afformentioned Regen from Dead, and a big energy discharge when he flips from Normal to Ultraviolent. That one seems like a Triggered, No Range, AE: 1 Hex 8-9d EB. He was once prevented from changing due to having Mizuki handcuffed to him and scorched a Ramothees when he changed before he fought Lisker (sp) early on.

I'll ponder disads after I finally get to sleep.