Hacker Hero

Super Squirrel

This is a two fold tread. First and foremost is that it is to serve as a defensive barrier to protect the boards against our newest threat, Pinky!

The other reason is that I am actually looking for ideas for establishing a more dramatic way of handing 'hacking' in a hero game. Kind of like the matrix in Shadowrun but less complex. Basically I want something other than 'security systems' and 'computer programming'. Ideas?

Oh, have some spare acorns but don't eat them. there poisoned

I'm thinking of working on something broadly similar for my newly started GURPS Traveller campaign. GURPS and HERO certainly have enough in common for a useful exchange of ideas. Less complex than Shadowrun is essential, unless hacking is the whole theme of the game... Matrix runs in Shadowrun (in 2d Ed. anyway, I haven't seen 3rd) used to take up WAY too much time.

If you want an entire subsystem devoted to hacking, check out GURPS Cyberpunk and/or the Cyberpunk RPG (either the original or 2020 versions). They're pretty similar.

This brings up a problem, though, which because of this specifically has been called the "netrunner problem". When there's no netrunning going on, the netrunner is useless. When there is netrunning going on, the other characters are useless. The GURPS and Cyberpunk netrunning systems can almost be an entire adventure on their own, given how much GM attention they take.

The best way to handle the netrunner problem in my experience is to have corps keep their really interesting stuff off-line. The netrunner has to physically enter the building to jack in to the system, and has to be protected while doing so. Alternatively, the rest of the group has to enter a building, and only the netrunner running interference with the automated security systems keep them from getting toasted in the first 60 seconds. Keep things happening in both the real world and the net, and you never have to deal with players sitting on their hands waiting to play.

Originally posted by archer

If you want an entire subsystem devoted to hacking, check out GURPS Cyberpunk and/or the Cyberpunk RPG (either the original or 2020 versions). They're pretty similar.

Picking up GURPS Cyberpunk would be the obvious thing to do for a GURPS campaign, 'cept it's not that easy because it has been out of print for ages.

Actually when I posted my first response in this thread I only had the vaguest of nebulous ideas in my mind as to what it actually was that I wanted. Having thought about it some more I'm not really looking for a full-on matrix style visual hacking system with bells and whistles, after all that is not really in keeping with the nature of the Traveller universe anyway, which is about as far from cyberpunk as mainstream sci-fi gets. So... let me try to explain...

In another thread on another role playing related board not so long ago somebody commented that role playing game systems put too much emphasis on combat systems, which tend to be very complex and detailed compared to other parts of the system, specifically usage of other skills such as first aid, electronics or whatever. They argued that this kind of detail is rather unnecessary - why not just make a roll or two to decide the issue and move on, like we do with other skills? Well the point seemed silly to me, because roleplaying games are based on fiction, one way or another, whether it be action movies, comic books, or novels. In fiction of course combat also gets a lot more in-depth treatment and blow by blow detail than a lot of other types of actions. And for the same reason as in RPGs, because of the excitement, uncertainty and suspense it adds.

Now think about some movies you have seen that involve a bit of computer hacking as part of the plot. I'm not talking about full on cyberpunk movies here, just modern day movies that involve a bit of computer hacking. Anyway the hacking is something that also gets used to add excitement and suspense... it doesn't tend to get nearly as much screen time as actual combat, of course, but we do get a fair bit of action on the computer screen... access denied, access accepted, system alerts, data streams flashing up, etc. so I would like a hacking system that reflects that, which allows me as GM to instill a bit of suspense into the procedure and requires more than just one or two straightforward skill rolls, without escalating to the kind of complexity involved in actual combat.

As an example, a lot of game systems handle medical treatment in a slightly more in depth way than ordinary skill use, requiring several rolls by both physician and patient over a period of time, during which a patient's condition can improve or deteriorate. A hacking system with a similar level of detail to that is the kind of thing I'm looking for.

IMO how you treat hacking/netrunning/computer B&E all depend upon the importance that it takes within the campaign.

I recommend Hero Games: Cyber Hero and Gurps: Cyberpunk. These have been stated before, but they are really that good. Kazie 5, also by Hero, does have some good comments about how to do this kind of thing.

Anyhoo...as I see it there are 3 kinds of "net-running."

1) Very little importance.

This is the campaign in which there is little or no importance placed on computers and hacking. This can be done by a simple skill roll with a single modifier representing the complexity and defenses of the hacked system.

2) Some importance, but not enough to represent a whole other section of the game.

I think this is what you really want. The way I would handle this is to have the hacking be a series of dice rolls not just a single roll. Computers, information, and other equipment would be plusses or minuses to skill rolls. (Imagine your "Decker" going crazy trying to get that "Deck" that provides a +3 to his roll.) You could make some "maneuvers" such as you use in combat and have the “hacking†session last several rolls.

Example:

Joe wants to break into the local gaming companies forum and post messages giving information about their secret project. Joe knows that he has a decent computer that gives him a +2 and he knows some passwords giving him a +2. Joe also knows that the company’s security is very tight.

The GM decides that the company’s security gives Joe a -2 to all his rolls. The GM decides that to break into the system without giving his position away means Joe must make 4 successful rolls and can only fail once (Joe doesn’t know these numbers.) Then to successfully put his message on the board Joe must make a further 6 successful rolls and can only fail twice.

3) True Netrunning is most of the campaign.

In this type of campaign Netrunning is best used as some form of Extra-Dimensional movement where the player takes on another persona with powers.

What I'm more looking for is a way using PS or KS skills or even Power skill to make the aspect of hacking a computer much more interesting.

I would like to have it so 'hacking' requires a good 4 or 5 skills before you can get good at doing the job. I also don't have much access to Gurps materials to help.

Originally posted by Super Squirrel

What I'm more looking for is a way using PS or KS skills or even Power skill to make the aspect of hacking a computer much more interesting.

I would like to have it so 'hacking' requires a good 4 or 5 skills before you can get good at doing the job. I also don't have much access to Gurps materials to help.

I think at least Computer Hacking, Computer Programming, Computer Operation and Cryptography should be required for most hacking attempts in a reasonably high security environment. After all, the skill of hacking in itself only helps you get inside a system's security, it doesn't necessarily help you do anything once you get there. I would like to have a system that requires a bunch of dice rolls, and includes some kind of random tables of results and things which can happen during the attempt, to add flavour and suspense.

Try and help me with this list here. Remember, skills can be complementary.

KS: Operating Systems

Think of this as Fast Draw. You can roll this skill to improve how fast you can activate/delete/copy files.

Security Systems

This applies to ground based security such as computer systems that require a retinal scan to access.

KS: Computer Security Systems

With this skill you can bypass firewalls and anti-hacking systems as well as attempt to rewrite them with Computer Programming. Without this skill you are unable to bypass most security systems. This can also be used to establish security on a system.

PS: White Hat

This skill is your "DCV" of sorts for dealing with an active hacker in a computer system. This can only be used for defensive means. This skill can be used to prevent or stop brute force or malicious attacks.

PS: Black Hat

This skill is your "OCV" of sorts for dealing with a "White Hat" in a computer system. This can only be used for offensive means. This skill can also be used to brute force through security systems or other malicious attacks such as DoS.

PS: Red Hat

This skill is a complementary skill for both PS: White Hat and PS: Black Hat

The way I see the use of the last three skills is that if a Black Hat wants to take an action on the target computer he rolls his Black Hat vs. the White Hat of the person defending the targetted computer. If the Black Hat 'wins' he gets an action. If not, nothing.

Skills. Okay. Lets us see here.

1) Expand the Computer programing skill as per Star Hero page 41. I won't go into it here (you should buy the book), but it is expanded much like the System Operation skill is expanded in the back of the FRED.

2) PS: Hacker.

3) Cryptography

4) Analyze Computer System

3) KS: Boy this list could get long quick, but some ideas are Hacking, Computer programs, ICE.

4) Use the existing skill list, but change the skill so that it is usable only in "netrunning". I would have the base skill be bought for 2 points with a +1 to raise the skill by +1. Examples are:

Computer Acting: Allows you to pretend you really belong in system when you don't.

Computer Bureacratics: You know how to get things done and where to go in a computer system.

Computer Concealment: You know how to hide bugs or even your self in a computer system.

Computer Defense Manuever: You get an extra warning and defense when the system attacks you.

Computer Demolitions: You know how to set up viruses to "go off" and damage a system.

Computer Disguise: You know how to make your self look like someone else or like you belong in a system/

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Now computer hacking is a bunch of skill rolls. IMO most of these should be provided by "programs" and the "computer/deck" the player is using.