Okay, my friends. Give me your Ch'i Attacks of unusual nature.

Enforcer84

Sure, Ryu can throw a fireball, but Dhalsim can teleport!

I am looking for some neato keen Martial Arts abilities to throw at a Street Fighter style martial arts campaign.

Also, just to be sure, what do you think are the "classic" antagonists in a Fighting Game storyline?

Criminal Organization...

Other Dimensional Entity...

All Powerful Megacorporation...

Secret Society...

Ninja Clan...

Crime Family...

Sorcerer from the past...

Obsessed "Warrior"...

Demonic Entity...

...out to rule the world!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Okay, my friends. Give me your Ch'i Attacks of unusual nature.

Damn, and here from the thread title I was going to make a quip about my ability to shock a whole roomful of people, most of whom are my peers in whatever particular hobby I'm currently at a gathering of, into abject and shocked silence by recounting one of my anecdotes.

In less enlightened groups I've been dubbed Captain TMI.

Ah what the heck... its worth posting about anyway. :D

And so I am at least trying to contribute, I'd add Legendary Creature to the list

Well, here is my try.

Chi Stealing (Touch your oponent, and drain his END. Putting that END you 'stold' into yourself is an option, but not nessasary).

Chi Enhanced Fart Clouds.

Chi Inited Fart Clouts Of Fire.

Sonic Belches.

Pumping Your Chi Into Your Voice, And Shouting Out Words Which Have A Physical Apperance And A Physical Force (for example, by yelling out "HI", you can create a kanji made of fire which can burn your oponent).

Using Paper Tailsmens To Frezze Your Oponent In Place.

I like my Kung-Fu old school and my movies dubbed. Since that's out of the way.

Chi abilities I like

Invulnerability - "Ha Ha Ha Ha! Your puny attacks can't hurt me!" (Make the PC's learn the weakness)

Fists of Death - "I can punch through stone walls. You don't stand a chance."

Chi Enhanced Fart Clouds.

Chi Inited Fart Clouts Of Fire.

From DragonBall?

I think the guy used Foul Breath and Crotch Fumes as well.

For enemies:

Evil Twin

Misguided Clone

Parents that are just doing what is good for you

Former Lover

Obsessed Stalker - if I can't have you NOBODY can!

Powers:

Super Dodging (forget the movie, the hero needed woman's kung fu to beat the bad guy)

Cloth Shield/Spear/Sword/Whip (fairly common kung fu sfx)

Auto Fire Shuriken/Darts

Retracting Razor Sharp Nails

Explosive Stone Skin

Whirlwind Flight

Tranquility Blast (Change Environment? AoE Healing)

Teleport Through Shadow

Tongue Lashing

Monomolecular Hair...ooh ooh no...Fishing Line with Pole!

Lightning Stuff (Big Trouble in Little China)

Giant Growth

Damn, and here from the thread title I was going to make a quip about my ability to shock a whole roomful of people, most of whom are my peers in whatever particular hobby I'm currently at a gathering of, into abject and shocked silence by recounting one of my anecdotes.

In less enlightened groups I've been dubbed Captain TMI.

Ah what the heck... its worth posting about anyway. :D

And so I am at least trying to contribute, I'd add Legendary Creature to the list

Would that be a Flash attack or a SPD Drain?

Villains brainwashing martial artists and using them as terrorists.

You also need a savage beast, either metaphorically or literally. And somebody who looks like they wandered in from the wrong game. And one of those ‘I’m just too damn cool’ guys with long black hair and narrow eyes.

And a real cheap bastard so scrubs with no skill can win just by button mashing.

---

They never made a sequel to the Fatal Fury movie/OAVs. Pisses me off. Geese was finally ready to get back into action, too.

“If that bastard gets any more powerful, then I don’t want to know about it!â€

Detaching your body parts and using them to attack your foe at range.

Detaching your foe's body parts and attacking him with them.

Instlilling your chi into an innocuous item such as a paper fan, so that in your hands it becomes stronger than steel and just as deadly.

Well, Chinese Martial Arts Wuxia and folk-tales include:

Acidic Vomit

Chest Smashing Penis Attack

Prehensile Super-Strong Penis Attack

Any number of paper figures coming to life and attacking the foe

Shadow figures coming to life

Songs that come to life

Detached body parts (Monkey King's hair is an extreme example) that become duplicates of the character and attack the foe

All sorts of kinky sex magic and attacks

Blood that comes to life and chokes the foe

Green Bat Kungfu, involving drinking blood to gain power

Musical Instruments used as weapons

Thread and yarn used as weapons and mind-control devices

Stone smashing sonic screams

Army-Slaying Hurricane Farts

Ice Spit

Dealy Hair

Deadly Throwing Fingernails

I'm sure I've missed plenty

Thanks for the ideas. A few I'll leave right here, but most are awesome.

Switching gears here, a bit.

So I have an evil Mega Corporation. Based in America or Tokyo. They have their hands in everything, but what should be thier focus? Are they merely money (ie A trade company or some such)? Are they makers of weapons and genetic soldiers?

I know my world will have more than one mega corp, but I'd like to start with one at first.

Switching Gears II:

Contests? The FIghting video game Genre has long been based on the "Tournament" model. So is there a Circuit? Is it underground? Or are the fighters going to be mobbed by fans?

The Street Fighter Comic has pretty much ignored the tournaments for the time being, SFI having been in the past and no new tourneys in sight. Buit it's such a big part of the games, the storylines are built around tourneys but they aren't like your basic sporting event or at least your most popular sporting events...of course there are wrestlers and boxers galore in the games...hmm. Thoughts? Should I develop a "League of Fighters" style professional circuit or should tournaments be invite only and generally set up by this week's master villain?

I'd do the tournaments and make them legit, with occasional mob influence. There's more story potential that way.

As to evil corporations, a Chemical and Pharmaceutical company can have its hand in everywhere, from breakfast cereal to aircraft engines to medical madness. I'd go that route.

http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/main.jsp

http://www.rohmhaas.com/

Yeah,the genre seems based on tournaments but as far as I know if you look at the storylines of the games most often than not the tournament is nothing official. Often it is a secret to the puplic at general... ok, you have your Iron Fist Tournament but look at the storyline. Mishima wants to know who is the best and wants to prove himself... besides the devil storyline I always had the feeling that you have all these profesional martial artist with chi'powers and stuff fighting for their special reasons.

I would look at the character and ask what motivation they have to partake in the "Insert your tournament name here" first and the build it the rest around the answer. Ok but that's my take.

For the mega corp. is one of the players going to play something that would connect him to the corp's. A Robot or Cyborg is allways a good choice... if you go the open to the puplic route let them have a corparate fighting team of genetic enhanced or cyborg fighters... cliche... maybe but I like my King Of Fighter :)

For the chi powers

Outside of combat Healing Aura, in combat Instant Healing, only on self + extra time.

Thanks for the ideas. A few I'll leave right here, but most are awesome.

Switching gears here, a bit.

So I have an evil Mega Corporation. Based in America or Tokyo. They have their hands in everything, but what should be thier focus? Are they merely money (ie A trade company or some such)? Are they makers of weapons and genetic soldiers?

I know my world will have more than one mega corp, but I'd like to start with one at first.

That is a staple in some fighting video game series. Just look at Tenken. We have an evil corpration who uses a legitiment martial arts touriment as an excuse for the CEO of the company (Hirachi, I think his name is spelled as) to show off his strength, and eventualy get an army of fighting mercnaries and expermental robots (remember the JACKs?) to take over the goverments of the world.

Switching Gears II:

Contests? The FIghting video game Genre has long been based on the "Tournament" model. So is there a Circuit? Is it underground? Or are the fighters going to be mobbed by fans?

The Street Fighter Comic has pretty much ignored the tournaments for the time being, SFI having been in the past and no new tourneys in sight. Buit it's such a big part of the games, the storylines are built around tourneys but they aren't like your basic sporting event or at least your most popular sporting events...of course there are wrestlers and boxers galore in the games...hmm. Thoughts? Should I develop a "League of Fighters" style professional circuit or should tournaments be invite only and generally set up by this week's master villain?

Not all fighting games are true touriments. There is no touriment surounding the events of the Samuri Showdown series. And the Street Fighter Alpha series depicts the times between the two touriments (and this is the area the Udon comics are in right now). And if there is a touriment in DarkStalkers, will someone tell me? Thay are helpful, but not exactly nesasarie.

Still, thay ARE helpful (as thay gives charaters with difrent backgrounds an excuse to group together). And thay can hide many things, on both the villian and the hero side (remember Fatal Fury, and Terry's quest to avenge his father?).

By the way, that is another staple...a dead father/friend/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/husban/mother who needs to be advenger, and the only way is through blood.

And yet another staple is the fact that, in the end, the hero might have to die. Sometimes without even bringing the villian to justice.

I look forward to it.

BTW

Here is my (not complete, mind you) list of classic Fighting Game Archetypes:

Military Trained Commando

Karateka

Bruce Lee Tribute

Pro Wrestler

Boxer

Acrobat

Kung Fu Cutie

Corporate Raider

Cyber Soldier

Cloned Fighter

Psychic Wunderkind

Modern Day Samurai

Ninja

Sports Star (football, basketball, soccer, you name it)

Sidekick Wannabe

Rocker Warrior

Vampire

Monk

Interdimensional Conquerer

Cat Girl

Beast Man

Bodyguard

Child of Evil

Criminal Enforcer

Assassin

Reformed Criminal

Effite Bad-***

Macho Bad ***

Female Bad ***

Cleavage Warrior

Obsessed seeker of Vengance

Ancient Master

Wandering Warrior

Pacifist Fighter

Psycho Fighter

God/Alien

Genetically Engineered Warrior

am I missing someone? THis is a modern setting.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but as someone who's run a couple "tournament" style games, I always found they broke down before we got to the end of the tournament. Either the players or I got bored of the limited repetitiveness of the setup every time after about 7 or 8 sessions. I'm not saying you won't be able to do it, but I'm just commenting that I don't think tournament fighting works well as an actual campaign premise in the long term. I wasn't running them just as "fight-fight-fight" style wargames either, there was roleplaying and plotting going on as well, but the core of the game was the fighting and it often got in the way more than it helped. "Okay, and they fight!" Might sell a cool video game, but it makes for a boring story unless you have some extra elements to spice it up.

In fiction, they usually use the subplots of the characters (normally the hero) to keep the story going between fights, but that doesn't work so well in an RPG unless you've got a really good group.

The only solution I've seen that I think worked well is the method that Chinese Comics and WuXia stories tend to use: the story is really a normal fantasy story but the characters all happen to be massive fighter types and so are their opposition. Mix warrior clans into this, and you get perpetual fighting with other adventures mixed in. The adventures tend to lead towards fights, not the adventure IS a fight.

This becomes harder in modern settings because of the simple presence of guns, which really do take the fun out of almost everything. The solution to this is the "tournament" story, which adds the idea that there are rules to the fight that keep the different sides from using guns or other weapons. But, if the only place they can fight is the tournament ring, the GM is having to spend all their time coming up with the story between the fights. Not adventures, generally, but roleplaying drama, which is what I find tends to cause modern tournament games to break down because it's hard to juggle 6 good dramatic stories and keep everyone happy without people's attention wandering. (This, of course, depends highly on the group and GM.)

There was one variant game I ran that might help you, it too died, but not for reasons related to the game itself. It was my attempt at running a "collecting stuff" campaign and in it the players were apprentice mages travelling through a fantasy land going from school to school trying to learn new spells elements. (I wasn't using HERO, but in HERO terms what was happening was they were learning powers and modifiers to use with their Variable Power Pools. ie That school over there would teach them "darkness", this school could teach them "armour piercing", etc.) Each school had a couple special spell elements that they could learn, but there were two catches:

1) They had to pass a test/challenge when they arrived at a school in order to be considered worthy of the school's knowledge. 2) They could only learn 1 spell element at each school from the ones (usually 7-8) that school specialized in, and not the same one!

This had two effects: the first catch meant they had to fight the school's students (or solve puzzles, or go on quests, or whatever) to earn entry into the school and the second catch meant they didn't all end up with the same spell elements, keeping the PCs from being the same.

Actually, the game went pretty well, although I tended to speed up time when they were training and just say "okay, a few weeks passed and you learned what you need to know" because the events at the schools were rarely the adventure. (Except for the occasional rivalry or romance, but I tended to limit those to other teams of apprenctice wizard-types also doing the same thing as the PCs who they'd meet from time to time.)

Anyways, while this was a magic user game, I based the core ideas on martial arts stories, and thus it would work well for a fighting game too. The PCs have mastered the basics of their art, now they need to wander the landscape seeking out other schools and facing the challenges of those schools in order to gain more knowledge. Of course, they're not the only ones, and some techniques and schools can only be gained access to by certain special people. Instant conflicts, rivalries and goals, and it can be done in pretty much any setting.

Rob

Oh I know, I've tried to run Tournaments before. But since it's so key to the genre, I wanted to have them in some format.

Guns aren't much of an issue. If you use a gun you're not a "main character" you are next to useless. Gun's might only make appearances at key scenes or someone's special maneuvers, they won't be too disruptive. But thanks for bringing them up, I'll have to note this when I get the material together.

The school thing is quite cool. I might have to borrow that. At least for background.

Watch STREET FIGHTER II V (Victory). That is the quentissential anime for running a story based around tournament fighting. Yu Yu Hakusho and Flames of Recca are also good sources.

Actually, the various Fatal Fury movies are some of the best as well. I highly suggest checking those out.

The main thing is to have a main villian who is worthy of hatred and disdain. He should run a megaconglomerate or secret society that sponsers and controls most of the underground tournaments, and this groups activities should clash with the Heroes goals about 1/3 of the way through the campaign. The campaign will then focus on the characters making headway in the tournament while dodging attacks by this evil group aimed at stopping their rise to fame.

And the final showdown with the main villian should never be at the tourney. Oh no. The final showdown must be so bloody and violent, it would never fly in a public battle.

A series that might be an alternate source of ideas for the uber-martial-artists campaign in Tenjou Tenge, in which an entire school is devoted to the development of various martial arts disciplines, the school is a whilwind of rivalry and conflict, and the only force more powerful than the abilities of the characters is the effects of their hormones and the uncertainty in their hearts. You may have to count on a particular girl to save your life even though she has a huge crush on you that is driving you insane.

(The series also features one of the best and most reasonable anime characters of African descent since Claudia in Macross.)