Okay, my friends. Give me your Ch'i Attacks of unusual nature.

Enforcer84

Re: Okay, my friends. Give me your Ch'i Attacks of unusual nature.

(The series also features one of the best and most reasonable anime characters of African descent since Claudia in Macross.)

I'm confused? Wasen't Nadia, from Nadia And The Secret Of The Blue Water a person of color, or mearly a girl with a perament tan?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused? Wasen't Nadia' date=' from [b']Nadia And The Secret Of The Blue Water[/b] a person of color, or mearly a girl with a perament tan?

Nadia's ethnicity was never specified IIRC, but I suspect she was South Asian (inda/Sri lanka) or Pacific Islander (Guam/New Zealand/New Guniea) rather than African. She met her lion companion in the circus, not the wild.

Claudia was an African-American. Bob, the guy from Tenjou Tenge, is probably of mixed descent given him name, with a Japanese father and an African-American mother.

Socially, Japan is much more ethnocentric than America is (and that's saying a lot). Many there consider you a second-class citizen if your family came from Korea or China, even if you were born in Japan and lived there your entire life. And most Japanese can tell the difference by appearance. A person like Bob stands out in Japan, regardless of what he does.

It's not *quite* a chi power' date=' but I did have a magical-based character with the ability to speak to elemental spirits. She had an NND based on calling out to the air spirits residing in her opponent's lungs...[/quote']

Now that's cool. I'll definately take that for my nature fighter.

Now that's cool. I'll definately take that for my nature fighter.

We had a running gag with it that that level of air sprite had the personality of a collie and the attention span of a goldfish. So...

Summon...

Wheeeeeee! Let's go visit our friend!

Who are you? Where are we?

Look! Air currents!

Wheeeeeee!

In addition to the secret-invitation-only tournament, there is also the supernatural tournament backstory (e.g. Mortal Kombat/Highlander) wherein the fighters are fighting for the Fate of the World (though how the two relate is never adequately explained).

I'd stick with the evil corporation secretly running the underground tournaments for nefarious purposes. If the CEO of Evil Inc. is some kind of kung fu master, he might use the tournament as a means of selecting new enforcer talent, or eliminating potential threats to his dominance. Remember that the Chief Enforcer must be either very large (Goro) or cybernetically enhanced.

Don't forget:

Thousand Flying Fist Attack (+7 OCV to H-to-H)

Thousand Flying Fist Defense (add Martial Block)

Punch through anything non-living object (Tunnelling)

I missed, but it is so awesome, it still hurts (Linked Energy Blast w/1 hex, if you miss the opponent, yet hit the hex, the lesser attack hits)

I once saw a Kung Fu flick where the whole point to the hero fighting his way through the endless tricks and minions was a test to see if he was man enough to be the next Kung Fu Overlord. The real master villain was actually another character who hid in the shadows, but he needed a massive character to be his public face. Anyone who defeated the Kung Fu Overlord (and there were endless challengers) got offered the job to become the new one, but if they refused the real master villain killed them.

Rob

• 5 weeks later...

A new question has formed!

I'm looking to make the arts as different and unique as possible. Since I don't have the luxury of animated sprites to denote the differences, are there any abilities you might more naturally see go with one art over the other? Karate specific special abilities vs Kungfu vs Boxing vs Tae Kwon Do?

Karate:

Ki Fireball Xd6 EB, reduced by range

Iron Shirt: +8rPD/+8rED Armor (only vs Martial Arts based attacks)

Kung Fu:

Dragon Fist Technique: XD6 HA with Fire SFX

Dragons Scale Defense 8rPD 8rED ForceWall, self only,

Attacks are generally no problem they are all built similarly, but I want cool abilities that aren't necessarily offensive. Fire Walking? I dunno, just throwing things out and seeing what sticks.

Karate:

Tamashiwara: 1D6 HKA (15) AP (+1/2) 22 act

--x2 End (-1/2) Full Phase (-1/2) Only vs non-living objects (-1) 7pts

This technique represents the Karatekas ability to break bricks, boards and other material objects. STR and maneuvers and skill levels add to the damage as normal. With this technique a Karateka can blow through solid doors with ease.

Kung Fu:

Tsui Pa Hsien: 1D6 Transfer (15) +10 to Max (5) Area Effect, Radius(+1) Continuous (+1) 60 Active

--Requires skill roll (-1/2) acrobatics skill. Full Phase activation (-1/2) 30 real.

The Eight Drunken Immortals form is a very complex series of movements that confuses and disorients attackers. A true master of this Fist can use the form to fell an entire roomfull of attackers.

The practitioner begins by performing a series of drunken-like movements. As attackers begin to converge, his movements become swift and exceedingly unpredictable. The practitioner moves in such a way that opponents will trip and fall off-balance. She will also embarrass the attackers to throw them off their game. In effect, it causes the attackers to fight worse and worse as time goes on. (game notes: maximum of 16pts of Dex (+/-5) transferred means that the attackers are at -2 CV while the Drunken Master will be at +2 CV! A fairly significant shift in fighting ability. Also the characters skill levels should be used for DCV to represent the difficulty of hitting someone using Drunken Fist. Characters who drink alcohol before beginning this form should get a +1 to +3 bonus to their skill roll depending on potency)

more to come... (bedtime!)

Surbrook does Ch'i!

I don't think any HERO gamer is better at translating the wonderful spectrum of fictional ch'i powers into system terms than Michael "Susano" Surbrook, as his fine work in Ninja HERO testifies to. Yet Susano's bounty extends far beyond that. :hail:

For starters, Michael produced an article in Digital Hero #23 with scads more writeups for traditional ch'i powers, using the "variations" format from USPD and the FH Grimoires. Here is a sizeable free sample from that article, concentrating on combat powers.

Mr. Surbrook has also converted many of the "Fu Schticks" from the Feng Shui RPG, on this page from his great website. This stuff is especially appropriate to "wild martial arts" campaigns. Then for those who favor the most cosmic of martial arts, you'll find his stats and descriptions for the chi' powers from the anime Dragonball Z, right here.

Re: Surbrook does Ch'i!

I don't think any HERO gamer is better at translating the wonderful spectrum of fictional ch'i powers into system terms than Michael "Susano" Surbrook' date=' as his fine work in [i']Ninja HERO[/i] testifies to. Yet Susano's bounty extends far beyond that. :hail:

For starters, Michael produced an article in Digital Hero #23 with scads more writeups for traditional ch'i powers, using the "variations" format from USPD and the FH Grimoires. Here is a sizeable free sample from that article, concentrating on combat powers.

Mr. Surbrook has also converted many of the "Fu Schticks" from the Feng Shui RPG, on this page from his great website. This stuff is especially appropriate to "wild martial arts" campaigns. Then for those who favor the most cosmic of martial arts, you'll find his stats and descriptions for the chi' powers from the anime Dragonball Z, right here.

True, but if I steal only from him it's plagerism, if I steal from everyone, it's research. :D

Re: Surbrook does Ch'i!

Mr. Surbrook has also converted many of the "Fu Schticks" from the Feng Shui RPG' date=' on this page from his great website. This stuff is especially appropriate to "wild martial arts" campaigns. Then for those who favor the most cosmic of martial arts, you'll find his stats and descriptions for the chi' powers from the anime Dragonball Z, right here.

Funny you should mention this.... I am in the process of cleaning up the "Fu Schticks" to conform to the 5th Edition format of presenting powers (ala Pulp Hero for example). I am also editing the text and am going to clean up the layout for the webpage. In addition, I have added some new schticks based on new 5th Edition Talents and the like.

Oh, and on the whole "source material for NH games" I offer the following manga (note: all of these are set in high school):

Tengo Tenge -- extremely powerful martial artists battle for dominance over the future of the martial world. How powerful are they? One guy tackles something like 50 (or was it 80?) "mooks" and comes out on top. And he's not even one of the "top" fighters. The translation from CMX/DC suffers from "manga=comics=little kids." Thus a mature 17+ title has been edited and hacked into a teen 13+ title. Still, the artwork is amazing and the fight scenes are very well done. The anime blows, though. Oh, and TenTen does have the Natsume sisters, who have to be the hottest pair of sisters in all of anime.

Ikki Tousen -- a.k.a. Battle Vixens, this title is highly reminiscent of TenTen, right down to evidence proving some panels are virtual duplicates of TenTen panels. Anyway, the story seems to deal with warriors reincarnated throughout time and fighting the same battle for dominance over and over. The twist is, many of the warriors are aware of this and try to change things -- only to have things work out as they did before.... It is a T&A title (much like TenTen) but still has scads of cool character concepts, nice art, and well-done fights. The major issue is the utterly crappy translation, which (according to some) has zero to do with the original story/plot, and at the very least, is heavily "Americanized" for domestic consumption. Still, it has Kanu, so it can be all bad!

dhkanu01.jpg

Samurai Girl: Real Bout High School -- The local school has so many martial arts clubs many end up fighting each other for use of the gym and dojo. The basic plot deals with an effort to create an enforcement team to deal with the overabundance of violent martial artists types wrecking havoc here and there. Sub-plots include romantic rivalries and the like. A ton of fun, well- drawn, but somewhat less easy to follow then Ikki and TenTen. Still, it liked it enough to get all 6 volumes and to write up Ryoko Mitsurugi.

For really creepy martial artists, take a look at the manga Blade of the Immortal. It's set in 18th Century Japan, but does offer up some really nasty characters.

On a similar note, try the anime Samurai Champloo. I intend to do a full set of write-ups from this series, with a prime favorite being Mugen, who combines what looks like Capoeria with Kenjutsu to become both utterly unpredictable and equally unstoppable in combat.

Oh, and if you want to bring in some guys who verge on the horrific look up the anime Ninja Scroll. :angst:

Of course, many of these guys are on my website even now, so don't forget to poke around there, as well.

Way cool. Mike! I'll have to check out the new schticks.

How's the new place working out?

I hope to have everything done by tonight or tomorrow night.

The new place is nice -- except for the upstairs neighbors, who tend to let their kids (dropped off on the weekends) run around far too late in the evening.

I hope to have everything done by tonight or tomorrow night.

The new place is nice -- except for the upstairs neighbors, who tend to let their kids (dropped off on the weekends) run around far too late in the evening.

I used to have a similar problem. The parents were russian students at the university and the kid was a holy terror. Ran around screamed for hours almost every night. He once knocked something in their kitchen over and the tremors it caused made the glass light cover in my kitchen fall to the ground and shatter. I nearly crapped myself I was so scared. I felt bad for his mom (thought his dad was an *** though) and I hated complaining, but they were above us for almost two years and it was so so horrible.

The idiots I have now are college age and I think the get drunk alot. There's always one or two episodes of someone jumping out of bed and running (running) to the bathroom...

I miss my house. :(

I used to have a similar problem. The parents were russian students at the university and the kid was a holy terror. Ran around screamed for hours almost every night. He once knocked something in their kitchen over and the tremors it caused made the glass light cover in my kitchen fall to the ground and shatter. I nearly crapped myself I was so scared. I felt bad for his mom (thought his dad was an *** though) and I hated complaining, but they were above us for almost two years and it was so so horrible.

The idiots I have now are college age and I think the get drunk alot. There's always one or two episodes of someone jumping out of bed and running (running) to the bathroom...

I miss my house. :(

The worst part (and MarkDoc can confirm this) was the two (or is it three?) kids running around (the length of the apartment) non-stop at around 1 AM. I ended up knocking on the door to get them to stop.

The worst part (and MarkDoc can confirm this) was the two (or is it three?) kids running around (the length of the apartment) non-stop at around 1 AM. I ended up knocking on the door to get them to stop.

Yeah, I hate to do that, too. Last thing I want is a confrontation with a hot head. And you never know.

We should all try to move to the same area and we could get together and purchase a HERO only living facility. Sure there'd still be fights (nee NGD, Cap vs Bats, etc) but by and large at least we'd know everyone :D

Yeah, I hate to do that, too. Last thing I want is a confrontation with a hot head. And you never know.

We should all try to move to the same area and we could get together and purchase a HERO only living facility. Sure there'd still be fights (nee NGD, Cap vs Bats, etc) but by and large at least we'd know everyone :D

That would be awesome!