Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teh bunneh

Colorado Conventions

Re: Colorado Conventions

Okay, I finally got my write-ups finished & submitted, and confirmed my timeslots with Stephanie:

System: Champions

Event Name: “As the Superworld Turns”

Event Description:For years, the superhero soap opera “To Save The World” has been one of the most popular shows on television. But someone (or something) is after the show’s stars, and they’re not looking for autographs! A desperate network recruits some real-life superheroes to go undercover on the show and try to flush out the villain(s). Can you navigate the minefield of celebrity egos, solve the mystery, defeat the Bad Guys, and still be ready for your close-up? Hey, you’re superheroes: what could happen?

Players: 6

Beginner, rules taught, characters provided.

Timeslot: Friday 9am-1pm

System: Star Hero

Event Name: “Future Pulp: Ace Cobalt vs. the Evil Star Tyrant Of Venus.”

Event Name:From a hidden lunar base, a Mysterious Ray Gun is draining Earth’s power supplies. Can Ace Cobalt and his pluky crew stop the device in time? Where will the trail lead from there? Who is behind this dastardly scheme? (Could it possibly have anything to do with the guy whose name is in the title?) The year is 2006...but 2006 as envisioned in the pulp sci-fi stories of the 1920s and 30s. Strap on your jetpack, fasten your fish-bowl helmet, and join us for high adventure...in...SPAAAAAACE!

Players: 6

Beginner, rules taught, characters provided.

Timeslot: Saturday 9am-1pm

(Now I just have to put together my Full Thrust event...)

bigdamnhero

"This sounds like a twelve change-of-underwear trip!"

So here's what we've got thus far, schedule-wise;

Thursday 7-11:

Friday 9-1: Champions (BigDamnHero)

Friday 2-6: Pulp Hero (Sue Keyes)

Friday 7-11:

Saturday 9-1: Pulp/Star Hero (BigDamnHero)

Saturday 2-6: Champions - Teen Titans (Bill Keyes)

Saturday 7-11: Fantasy Hero (Bill Keyes)

Sunday 9-1: Champions - Iron Age (Bill Keyes)

Sunday 2-6:

bigdamnhero

"On my planet there is a saying -- the man who trusts can never be betrayed, only mistaken."

"Life expectancy must be fairly short among your people."

but I didn't get that luxury this time so I'm having to make everything up as I go.)

Woot BDH! Welcome to the darkside of GMing! I make everything up as I go. Wait a minute, scratch that, errmmmm, that is I craft a world and work out all of the intricate relationships between the characters, the NPCs, the real-estate, and all the Villain's plans... Sorry, hard to keep a straight face at that last part. :)

On a serious note, its great to see other gamers in CO. We should maybe arrange a day to try to get together and see if there is any hope for cross-polenation between our groups. Or maybe a massive game day. I'll have to check to see if I can make it to the con. All the games sounded like fun. The Pulp Hero from Bunny Sue sounds like a major hoot.

Due to some scheduling conflicts, I'm going to try to move my Iron Age Champions to Friday 7-11pm, and Teen Titans to Sunday 2-6pm (assuming that those slots are open). :)

On another note, I think the Rocky Mountain Heroes need to get together sometime at the Con -- before or after. There's got to be a pizza joint or a brewpub nearby where we can eat dinner and share war stories. Who's up for Sunday night or Thursday night? :bounce:

Bill.

Here's the latest Genghis schedule (as far as Hero is concerned):

Thurs 7-11: none yet

Fri 9-1: Champions: As the Superworld Turns (Scott Field)

Fri 2-6: Pulp HERO: League of Extraordinary Gentlewomen: No Man's Land (Tammy Sue Keyes)

Fri 7-11: Champions: The Iron Age: A Broken Heart (Bill Keyes)

Sat 9-1: Star HERO: Ace Cobalt vs. the Evil Star Tyrant Of Venus (Scott Field)

Sat 2-6: Champions Superheroic: Til D.E.A.T.H. Do Us Part (Scott Lininger)

Sat 7-11: Fantasy HERO: Arabian Adventures: Desert of Fire (Bill Keyes)

Sun 9-1: Champions: Teen Titans Go! The Return of the HIVE Five (Bill Keyes)

Sun 2-6: none yet

I think we may still have 1 or 2 more coming.

I'd definitely be up for a get-together some time, and either Thursday or Sunday night would work. Thursday might work better, since by Sunday night I'm usually pretty-well conned out.

bigdamnhero

"Who's scruffy looking?"

We need a website for this? (has server space just sitting around...)

You know, the more I think about this the more I think it's a good idea. If nothing else it gives us a "for more information: link to put in the program. Doesn't have to be anything fancy:

• schedule of games (cons, demos, etc)
  • some "Introduction to the Hero System" materials (like the PDFs DOJ did)
  • links to the Hero Games page, maybe some other pages
  • other stuff...?

I've done some very rudimentary website work in the past, but I really don't have the time to mess with it now. Volunteers?

A Yahoo group was also suggested, which would make it easy to set up an email list and the like. My feeling is that for now at least a website would be more what we're looking for, as people don't have to join anything to get at the information. We can always add a group later on. Other opinions?

bigdamnhero

"Is this the human value you call friendship?"

"Don't give me any of that 'Star Trek' crap. It's too early in the morning."

I'm OK if someone wants to put together a website... but I have exactly this -->.<-- many web-type skills.

Here's my question... who is Scott Lininger? Stu2000? G-A? Some mysterious, unknown lurker? :)

Bill.

Here's my question... who is Scott Lininger? Stu2000? G-A? Some mysterious' date=' unknown lurker? :) [/quote']

Funny you should ask: I just traded emails with him (thanks to Stephanie). He's a local gamer who apparantly runs a fair number of con games -- I think I may have met him, but can't put a face to the name. He isn't on these boards, and just thought it'd be fun to run a Champions game. Must be something in the air! :D I filled him in on what we're doing, and he seemed glad to have the company.

bigdamnhero

"This is stupid."

"When did that ever stop us."

OK, stuck in a boring conference today, so I took a whack at some "ad copy" for our RMLoH page in the program. This is just off the top of my head, so feel free to make any suggestions/comments/etc. In particular, I could use some fact checking. (It WAS 1981, right?)

Champions Silver Anniversary!

Champions, the original superhero role-playing game was first released in 1981. Players immediately embraced it’s unprecedented flexibility, which gave them the power to create literally any character they could imagine while maintaining game balance. The system was so flexible that it was soon adapted to a variety of other genres, giving birth to the world’s first universal role-playing game: the Hero System. 25 years later, Champions and the Hero System are still among the best and most popular RPGs on the market.

To celebrate the “Silver Anniversary” of Champions’ release, the Rocky Mountain Legion of Heroes has sponsored a number of Hero System games in a variety of genres and styles: fantasy, science fiction, pulp adventure, and of course comic book superheroes. Come see what all the excitement is about. Come Be A Hero!

[then we have the event listings, and at the bottom of the page...]

More information is available at the Rocky Mountain League of Heroes’ website http://www.whereever.org/yea.us or from Hero Games at http://www.herogames.com.

bigdamnhero

"What's the fun of being a grownup if you can't be childish?"

I can have a website in about ... oh ... an hour? nah, make it two.

But first I need content --

1) A game schedule (we got that)

2) Game descriptions

3) A liitle Bio on each GM (doesn't have to be serious even remotely.... but it'd be cool to have an "About the GMs" portion)

... I'll start a process this weekend and report back.

Here you go, Ghost-angel. Thanks for taking this job! :thumbup: Here's my game descriptions (do you want more than this?), my bio, and a picture of me to put on the webpage. ;)

Game descriptions:

Champions

The Iron Age: A Broken Heart

The city of Nocturne is a corrupt place with a dark heart. For years, its only defender was a vigilante known as Heartbreaker. Now she's been murdered, and her former protégés and partners must team up to track down her killer. For mature roleplayers.

Advanced; 7 players; characters provided, rules taught

Champions

Teen Titans Go! The Return of the HIVE Five

Meet the newest heroes of Jump City – The HIVE Five??? The Teen Titans must find out what mischief these former villains are up to before it's too late! All ages welcome.

Beginner; 9 players; characters provided, rules taught

Fantasy HERO

Arabian Adventures: Desert of Fire

A generation ago, an evil sorcerer usurped the kingdom of the Nār-Şahra people. Now, the young prince and princess have come of age and wish to take their lands back. Can you help them free their people? A fantasy adventure in the mold of 1001 Arabian Nights.

Intermediate; 8 players; characters provided, rules taught

GM Bio:

Bill has been gaming for well over 25 years. He discovered the original Champions superhero RPG at the tender age of 11, and has been running various heroic adventures ever since. People keep coming back to play, so he must be doing something right. A long-time resident of Colorado, he currently lives in Fort Collins.

Known as "The Bunny" by fellow Champions players (for reasons we are unable to explain), he claims to have been elected President in an rigged election, conquered the Midwest, been shot and killed at least once, sworn (and achieved!) vengeance on the gods themselves, crowned himself King of the World, become the arch-enemy of a llama, deposed the Pope, and had torrid love affairs with several well-known movie starlets. It is unlikely that any of these things are actually true, but it's best to just humor him when he gets like this.

Steve just sent me this. Think we've got room for it in the program? :)

The year 2006 marks a major milestone in the history of RPGs: the 25th anniversary of Champions and the HERO System! Gaming’s premiere superhero system, Champions, debuted in 1981 to rave reviews and strong sales, and in the intervening decades it’s earned not only lavish praise but tens of thousands of dedicated fans. The core Champions rules were soon adapted as the HERO System, a “generic†rules set that lets gamers create any sort of character, power, gadget, vehicle, ability, spell, or campaign they want. Now in their Fifth Edition, the HERO System rules continue to be an important and vital part of the gaming landscape.

“We’re really pleased to see Champions reach its twenty-fifth anniversary,†says Darren Watts, President of Hero Games. “It’s a testament to the quality of the rules, and the supplements published for them, that they’ve lasted so long and remain so popular when a lot of other, flashier, games have fallen by the wayside. I’m proud to be a part of Champions history, and all of us at Hero Games are looking forward to the next 25 years.â€

“Besides the flexibility and quality of the HERO System rules, I think the thing that really gives Champions endurance in the gaming market is the quality of our fans,†adds Steve Long, HERO System Line Developer. “We have one of the most enthusiastic, friendly, helpful, and skilled group of fans in gaming, and it shows in the games they run, the characters they create, and their love of the game. If you’re not already a HERO System fan, we hope you’ll give the game a try soon and find out just why it’s still going strong after two and a half decades.â€

Steve just sent me this. Think we've got room for it in the program? :)

Beats what I wrote! :D I'll pass it on to the Genghis folks.

I'll send you my write-ups and bio post-haste g-a; thanks again! What's the webaddress going to be, so we can put it in the program?

bigdamnhero

"I'm not evil, why does everyone always assume I'm evil? I haven't been evil in a long time..."

OK, our page in the Genghis program has been sent to the printer!

Here's the final line-up:

528 Champions

"As the Superworld Turns"

By Scott Field

For years, the superhero soap opera “To Save The World†has been one of the most popular shows on television. But someone (or something) is after the show’s stars, and they’re not looking for autographs! A desperate network recruits some real-life superheroes to go undercover on the show and try to flush out the villain(s). Can you navigate the minefield of celebrity egos, solve the mystery, defeat the Bad Guys, and still be ready for your close-up? Hey, you’re superheroes: what could happen? Characters provided. Beginner (Rules Taught).

528.3 FRI 9AM-1PM

527 Pulp Hero

"League of Extraordinary Gentlewomen: No Man's Land"

By Tammy Sue Keyes

It's 1938, and the world teeters on the brink of war -- and while the boys are dallying around with their political games, it's up to the women to save the day! Intrigue, Nazis, adventure, and high heels. Characters provided. Beginner (Rules Taught).

527.4 FRI 2PM-6PM

526 Champions

"The Iron Age: A Broken Heart"

By Bill Keyes

The city of Nocturne is a corrupt place with a dark heart. For years, its only defender was a vigilante known as Heartbreaker. Now she's been murdered, and her former protégés and partners must team up to track down her killer. For mature roleplayers. Characters provided. Advanced.

526.5 FRI 7PM-11PM

529 Star Hero

"Future Pulp: Ace Cobalt vs. the Evil Star Tyrant Of Venus"

By Scott Field

From a hidden lunar base, a Mysterious Ray Gun is draining Earth’s power supplies. Can Ace Cobalt and his pluky crew stop the device in time? Where will the trail lead from there? Who is behind this dastardly scheme? (Could it possibly have anything to do with the guy whose name is in the title?) The year is 2006...but 2006 as envisioned in the pulp sci-fi stories of the 1920s and 30s. Strap on your jetpack, fasten your fish-bowl helmet, and join us for high adventure...in...SPAAAAAACE! Characters provided. Beginner (Rules Taught).

529.7 SAT 9AM-1PM

523 Champions

"Til D.E.A.T.H. Do Us Part"

By Scott Lininger

The Earth's mightiest heroes, Speed-O-Man and StupendiGirl, are finally getting married, and the whole world is tuning in to witness the historic event. Predictably, the satellite feed cuts out and is replaced with the gloating face of the evil Dr. D.E.A.T.H. "Witness my Victory!" he screams, "As I DESTROY the bride and groom!" Suddenly, it's up to the super-powered bridesmaids and groomsmen to Save The (wedding) Day! Characters provided. Beginner (Rules Taught).

523.8 SAT 2PM-6PM

525 Fantasy Hero

"Arabian Adventures: Desert of Fire"

By Bill Keyes

A generation ago, an evil sorcerer usurped the kingdom of the Nar-Sahra people. Now, the young prince and princess have come of age and wish to take their lands back. Can you help them free their people? A fantasy adventure in the mold of 1001 Arabian Nights. Characters provided Intermediate.

525.9 SAT 7PM-11PM

524 Champions

"Teen Titans Go! The Return of the HIVE Five"

By Bill Keyes

Meet the newest heroes of Jump City – The HIVE Five??? he Teen Titans must find out what mischief these former villains are up to before it's too late! All ages welcome. Characters provided. Beginner (Rules Taught).

524.11 SUN 9AM-1PM

bigdamnhero

"The use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers...has been approved."

Ahem... basic page up, actual content to follow:

Rocky Mountain League of Heroes

Looks good so far! :thumbup:

I started up a new thread in the LOH section:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=889926#post889926

I thought it might be a good idea to have a seperate thread to discuss non-con-specific stuff (website content, demo games etc). Assuming we decide to keep this idea around post-Genghis that is?

bigdamnhero

"This is the kind of conversation that can only end in a gunshot."

Looks like we got a couple more, submitted by a buddy from Albuquerque. He may have gotten them in too late to make the program, but he filled the two Hero-free slots we had -- We have a full schedule!!:celebrate

Fantasy Hero (RPG)

Title of Event: Trespassers on the rooftop of the world

Thursday 7-11

intermediate

Description:

A sinister force is stirring in the ruins of an ancient empire. Your characters are sent to a desolate wasteland across high mountains in a remote corner to the world to check it out. This is a high powered fantasy adventure for up to 6 players. Characters will be provided.

Fantasy Hero/StarHero (RPG)

Title of Event: When worlds collide

Sunday 2-6

intermediate

Description:

Also known as: When GAMES collide. This scenario pits a high tech Star Hero team against a powerful Fantasy Hero group. It is intended to demonstrate the versatility of the Hero System. Characters will be provided for up to 12 players.

bigdamnhero

"I'll die."

"Well, as a courtesy, you might start getting busy on that, cause all this chatter ain't doin' me any kindness."

Reposted from the House Of Dragons list --

bigdamnhero

“I had a plan. A good plan. Smart. Carefully laid out. But I got bored. All that watching, waiting. My legs started to cramp.â€

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:13:33 EST

Subject: Genghis Con Preregistration Opens

Hello Everyone,

I am happy to announce that preregistration for Genghis Con has opened. We

are disseminating flyers to area game stores this week and mailing out copies

to our mailing list. One slight glitch. Our webmaster is out of town for two

weeks and he didn't get a .pdf of our new flyer onto the website before he

left. Go ahead and email me here and I will send you a .pdf if you need one.

Otherwise, just check out the events on the website as you have done in the

not-so-distant past.

I am very excited. We have a lot of great guests and events this time around,

Happy Holidays,

Heather

I noticed there's a couple of Fantasy Hero games by someone who's name I don't recognize... Is this your buddy, Scott?

530Fantasy Hero

"Trespassers on the Rooftop of the World"

By Craig Fox

clear.gif

A sinister force is stirring in the ruins of an ancient empire. Your

characters are sent to a desolate wasteland across high mountains in a

remote corner to the world to check it out. This is a high powered

fantasy adventure for up to 6 players. Characters will be provided. Intermediate. Limit 6 players. (Cost $3) 530.1 THU 7PM-11PM

531Fantasy Hero/StarHero

"When Worlds Collide"

By Craig Fox

clear.gif

Also known as: When GAMES collide. This scenario pits a high tech

Star Hero team against a powerful Fantasy Hero group. It is intended to demonstrate the versatility of the Hero System. Characters will be

provided for up to 12 players. Intermediate. Limit 12 players. (Cost $3) 531.12 SUN 2PM-6PM

I noticed there's a couple of Fantasy Hero games by someone who's name I don't recognize... Is this your buddy, Scott?

"By Craig Fox"

Yup, that's my boy. He's okay - but don't tell him I said so. :sneaky:

bigdamnhero

“What, you didn't see it coming?”

Here's the final line-up as per the program, in chronological order:

530 Fantasy Hero

"Trespassers on the Rooftop of the World"

By Craig Fox

A sinister force is stirring in the ruins of an ancient empire. Your characters are sent to a desolate wasteland across high mountains in a remote corner to the world to check it out. This is a high powered fantasy adventure for up to 6 players.

Characters will be provided. Intermediate. Limit 6 players. (Cost $3)

530.1 THU 7PM-11PM

528 Champions

"As the Superworld Turns"

By Scott Field

For years, the superhero soap opera “To Save The World†has been one of the most popular shows on television. But someone (or something) is after the show’s stars, and they’re not looking for autographs! A desperate network recruits some real-life superheroes to go undercover on the show and try to flush out the villain(s). Can you navigate the minefield of celebrity egos, solve the mystery, defeat the Bad Guys, and still be ready for your close-up? Hey, you’re superheroes: what could happen?

Characters provided. Beginner (Rules Taught). Limit 6 players. (Cost $3)

528.3 FRI 9AM-1PM

527 Pulp Hero

"League of Extraordinary Gentlewomen: No Man's Land"

By Tammy Sue Keyes

It's 1938, and the world teeters on the brink of war -- and while the boys are dallying around with their political games, it's up to the women to save the day! Intrigue, Nazis, adventure, and high heels.

Characters provided. Beginner. Limit 6 players. (Cost $3)

527.4 FRI 2PM-6PM

526 Champions

"The Iron Age: A Broken Heart"

By Bill Keyes

The city of Nocturne is a corrupt place with a dark heart. For years, its only defender was a vigilante known as Heartbreaker. Now she's been murdered, and her former protégés and partners must team up to track down her killer. For mature roleplayers. Characters provided Advanced. Limit 7 players. (Cost $3)

526.5 FRI 7PM-11PM

529 Star Hero

"Future Pulp: Ace Cobalt vs. the Evil Star Tyrant Of Venus"

By Scott Field

From a hidden lunar base, a Mysterious Ray Gun is draining Earth’s power supplies. Can Ace Cobalt and his pluky crew stop the device in time? Where will the trail lead from there? Who is behind this dastardly scheme? (Could it possibly have anything to do with the guy whose name is in the title?) The year is 2006...but 2006 as envisioned in the pulp sci-fi stories of the 1920s and 30s. Strap on your jetpack, fasten your fish-bowl helmet, and join us for high adventure...in...SPAAAAAACE!

Characters provided. Beginner (Rules Taught). Limit 6 players. (Cost $3)

529.7 SAT 9AM-1PM

523 Champions

"Til D.E.A.T.H. Do Us Part"

By Scott Lininger

The Earth's mightiest heroes, Speed-O-Man and StupendiGirl, are finally getting married, and the whole world is tuning in to witness the historic event. Predictably, the satellite feed cuts out and is replaced with the gloating face of the evil Dr. D.E.A.T.H. "Witness my Victory!" he screams, "As I DESTROY the bride and groom!" Suddenly, it's up to the super-powered bridesmaids and groomsmen to Save The (wedding) Day!

Characters Provided. Beginner (Rules Taught). Limit 6 players. (Cost $3)

523.8 SAT 2PM-6PM

525 Fantasy Hero

"Arabian Adventures: Desert of Fire"

By Bill Keyes

A generation ago, an evil sorcerer usurped the kingdom of the Nar-Sahra people. Now, the young prince and princess have come of age and wish to take their lands back. Can you help them free their people? A fantasy adventure in the mold of 1001 Arabian Nights.

Characters provided Intermediate. Limit 8 players. (Cost $3)

525.9 SAT 7PM-11PM

524 Champions

"Teen Titans Go! The Return of the HIVE Five"

By Bill Keyes

Meet the newest heroes of Jump City – The HIVE Five??? The Teen Titans must find out what mischief these former villains are up to before it's too late!

All ages welcome. Characters provided Beginner (Rules Taught). Limit 9 players. (Cost $3)

524.11 SUN 9AM-1PM

531 Fantasy Hero/StarHero

"When Worlds Collide"

By Craig Fox

Also known as: When GAMES collide. This scenario pits a high tech Star Hero team against a powerful Fantasy Hero group. It is intended to demonstrate the versatility of the Hero System. Characters will be provided for up to 12 players. Intermediate. Limit 12 players. (Cost $3)

531.12 SUN 2PM-6PM

Sounds like a Mighty Fine Shindig!

bigdamnhero

“Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?â€