Name for French Brick

nexus

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Name for French Brick

My pick would be to just ditch the stun lottery and assume base x3 stun multiplier.

Pah! With disdain, Nucleon ignores the STUN Multiplier rules when playing superheroic campaigns. In fact, in His campaigns, "Killing" powers are ditched in the favor of a new +¼ Advantage; Killing, which doubles the BODY damage of an attack but does the same rolled amount of STUN (Knockback however is now half rolled BODY instead of the -1d6 kb roll modifier for KAs).

Before, KAs were more efficient stunning attacks. Nowadays in this Universe at the least, they kill.

:saturn:

Pah! With disdain' date=' Nucleon ignores the STUN Multiplier rules when playing superheroic campaigns. In fact, in His campaigns, "Killing" powers are ditched in the favor of a new +¼ Advantage; [i']Killing[/i], which doubles the BODY damage of an attack but does the same rolled amount of STUN (Knockback however is now half rolled BODY instead of the -1d6 kb roll modifier for KAs).

Before, KAs were more efficient stunning attacks. Nowadays in this Universe at the least, they kill.

Really nice idea, Nucleon! Truly, your universe is a lethal and consistent place. I toyed with some numbers, the +1/4 looks good - it'll get some Body damage through typical defenses. Rep!

Pah! With disdain' date=' Nucleon ignores the STUN Multiplier rules when playing superheroic campaigns. In fact, in His campaigns, "Killing" powers are ditched in the favor of a new +¼ Advantage; [i']Killing[/i], which doubles the BODY damage of an attack but does the same rolled amount of STUN (Knockback however is now half rolled BODY instead of the -1d6 kb roll modifier for KAs).

That is..elegant... I'm impressed.

I've been very strongly considering something along these lines, but I was considering +1/2. How do they players like it?

Oh, and the name should be "Le Brick" :D

I've been very strongly considering something along these lines' date=' but I was considering +1/2. How do they players like it?[/quote']

Well, we are about to play our second campaign with this rule (hence the presence of Nucleon on this board), because we did like it the first time. One player complained about his Punisher ersatz character not being able to stun opponents (with his nasty autofire KAs of old), that with the new rule, he kills them "too much".

Consequences of this have been increased resistant defenses of all kind, more healing powers used and, surprisingly, a stronger in-game debate about Heroes and Vilains going around killing.

+½ for "Killing" is extremely valid as a cost, given that the defense against them (Resistant Defenses, +½) is more costly than defenses against, say, Armor-Piercing (Hardened, +¼). However, it boosts too much the costs of knives, 38 specials and other thuggish accessories. Keeping it at -¼ also reflects that killing is a despically cheap, easy way of doing things. Nucleon also explains his PCs that the reduced cost comes from the reduced knockback.

My pick would be to just ditch the stun lottery and assume base x3 stun multiplier.
I went with a 2d6 STUNx, divide by 2 and drop fractions. 30% of the results are x3, over 50% are x3 or x4, and a x1 is more likely than an x6. I wanted characters (and NPCs) who chose a KA to really want a KA, and not try to win the STUN lotto, but I also wanted the possibility of a yahtzee putting the target into next week.

Nucleon's alternative, however, is extremely worthy of consideration. Could this advantage be extended to make even more lethal attacks, buying the advantage multiple times - increasing the KILL multiplier ("KILLx" ?) from x2 to x3 to x4 etc? Or would it progress x2, x4, x8...?

Nucleon' date=' I was curious about how you deal with Penetrating Killing attacks with your system?[/quote']

Sure, sure.

Penetrating killing attacks are simply calculated the same way as knockback would in this case; Half BODY rolled (exemple; a 10d6 killing e-blast would deliver about 5 penetrating BODY).

Yep; it hurts.

Nucleon's alternative' date=' however, is extremely worthy of consideration. Could this advantage be extended to make even more lethal attacks, buying the advantage multiple times - increasing the KILL multiplier ("KILLx" ?) from x2 to x3 to x4 etc? Or would it progress x2, x4, x8...?[/quote']

Moons of Norgul, ouch!

Nucleon for His part doth think that the game's lethality has been pushed to a credible maximum with the Killing advantage. For more lethality, Nucleon would suggest the regulars; Autofire, AP or Penetrating

In His opinion anyway.

Probably too late, but few other suggestions:

Esprit de Corps, a variation on Esprit de la Gaulle above. Apart from anything else, Esprit de la Gaulle is a bit close to Charles de Gaulle ;)

Oriflamme, the original French standard as used by the early French monarchs.

But then France is staunchly republic, so how about:

Esprit de la republique, or

Chevalier de la Republique, or just

Chevalier

The father of Charlemagne was known as Charles Martel, meaning 'The Hammer'. So perhaps La Martel might be an option. Or even Charlemagne for that matter, as a reincarnation of France's greatest ever leader (Napoleon eat your heart out!)

Esprit de Corps, a variation on Esprit de la Gaulle above. Apart from anything else, Esprit de la Gaulle is a bit close to Charles de Gaulle ;)

I skipped "Esprit de la Gaule" but i suggest strongly not to use it for two reasons.

1° historically the Gaule has never been a united country before the roman conquest. so our history books speak about the Gaules ("Esprit des Gaules")

2° in common slang "avoir la gaule" (to have the gaule) means "to be sexually aroused" :D

Le Brick

You can make anything French just by adding Le in front of it :D

At the lecture of that post, Nucleon remembers that guy who just loved Italian songs, as long as they were sung in English, that is...

(La Brique it is, needless to say. Inanimate things have a gender in French :doi: )

I actually do remember that from (gasp) French class in High School. But I'm pretty sure they never mentioned which gender a brick was :)

Used to love that. Le Jour (Day, Male); La Nuit (Night, Female). Furniture would tend to be female; Places would be male. It was so arbitrary in most cases it would drive me crazy.

Aye. It must no be easy to learn the exact gender of a given inanimate object, by all means.

One more question about your House Rule Nucleon, did you find it nessescary to adjust any of the current weapons, armor or the cost of resistant defenses any?

One more question about your House Rule Nucleon' date=' did you find it nessescary to adjust any of the current weapons, armor or the cost of resistant defenses any?[/quote']

On adjustements regarding Resistant Defenses and Armor; None was deemed necessary, althought opinions may change as GMs do.

Now, the weapons were another thing; Nucleon had to re-write most of them, a task He would have done anyway to adapt the weapon list to a super-heroic campaign. Here is a few example;

Revolver, .38 special; E-Blast 4d6 Killing, 6-ch, No Silencer user (-¼), Maintenance, Independant OAF; Real costs 4.8 pts.

Rifle, Assault; E-Blast 6d6 Killing, Autofire, OCV+2, PSL+1, 30-ch, Maintenance, Act 15- jam, Req 2 hands, Independant, OAF; Real cost 14.3 pts.

Recoiless rifle, 57mm; E-Blast 12d6, Killing, Armor-P, OCV-1, PSL+3, 1-ch, Maintenance, Req. 2 hands, Independant, Bulky OAF; Real cost 16 pts.

Nucleon will try to send you the said list if you are interested.