Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Squirrel

Valdorian Characters

Re: Valdorian Characters

Bah. Valdorian characters are just 50 point characters who have sold off 25 points worth of stats for some bizarre reason. It's probably the only thing in the book that I think is a completely dumb idea. He should have just added a house rule that permitted Valdorian characters to sell off all stats to 8' date=' if they chose. It'd have been simpler for all concerned.[/quote']I agree. I think it's a bad rule because it goes against everything Hero has done as far back as 1e for both low and high powered games alike. It's just an 'un-Hero system' thing to do. But they did it, and now it's official, and in anything like this we're stuck with what is official.

Guest bblackmoor

... and in anything like this we're stuck with what is official.

Not when it's stupid, I'm not. :)

Guest bblackmoor

I just didn't buy any skill up past 12-' date=' I don't think. The other characters I've seen do the same and just buy PSLs like TVA suggests.[/quote']

I may change my house rules for the aforementioned game of mine to say that skills bought at more than +4 over the base roll are discouraged, without making it a hard rule or a Disad. It'll be less of a hassle to deal with in Hero Designer (and I eschew house rules when possible, anyway, on general principle).

Not when it's stupid' date=' I'm not. :)[/quote']

pg. 164 of Valdorian Age has a section that explains why 8's are used and it provides optional rules of using base 10's but with a 50+75 if you don't like the 8 base system. So I would call that very well thought out and not "stupid". Plus both methods can be official.

The Radiant Dawn is the oldest known ship still sailing the Il-Ryveras sea today. Captain Nayal Ayere is the thirteenth man to command the vessel in its 324 year history. This declares Elweir its home but is rarely seen within the city. The crew of the Radiant Dawn is rarely seen off the boat. When the Radiant Dawn reaches shore, five members of the crew leave to purchase new supplies while the rest of the crew unloads its cargo.

The Radiant Dawn holds an unblemished reputation for all ports across Il-Ryveras. They never lie or cheat those that they deal. Captain Nayal Ayere and his predecessors always have provided a full, detailed report of the cargo that is never wrong.

There is a element of mystery to the Radiant Dawn. Never, in any port across the land, has ever anyone seen the ship remain ported longer than twenty-four hours. The crew never leaves the ship beyond to trade for supplies. And no one has ever seen the ship pick up new crew or use a shipyard to repair any damage. Furthermore, the crew seems to be unphased by the weather no matter how severe.

Sailor of the Radiant Dawn

10 STR

12 DEX

14 CON

12 BODY

8 INT

8 EGO

8 PRE

8 COM

2 PD

3 ED

2 SPD

5 REC

30 END

26 STUN

Abilities: +3 with Short Swords, AK: Ports of Il-Ryveras 11-, AK: Ancorable Beachs of Il-Ryveras 8-, KS: Stories and Legends of Il-Ryveras 11-, KS: History of the Radiant Dawn 13-, Navigation (Marine) 12-, PS: Knot-Tying 11-, PS: Sailing 13-, PS: Deep Sea Sailing, TF: Large Rowed Boats, Teamwork 11-, +3 PSL with Sailing and Navigation During Bad Weather

75+ Disadvantages: Distinctive Features: Mark of the Radiant Dawn, Physical Limitation: Sea Legs, Psychological Limitation: Code of the Radiant Dawn

Equipment: Short Sword, Padded Cloth Cuirass

Notes: All sailors of the Radiant Dawn are required to wear a tattoo on their right shoulder, announcing their allegience to the ship and crew. The crew is prohibited from discussing any of its history or practices with outsiders. This information is considered a trade secret and the punishment for violating this order is death. All crewmen are required to wear short swords during duty in case of pirates.

I think the base 8 thing was a pretty good idea. Players tend to leave unimportant characteristics at the base level and build up their others. This way, the base level is a little lower and keeps the characters from being quite as uber-competent as other genres' characters.

Even telling players that a lower standard is in-genre and encouraged doesn't usually get them to lower their characters' abilities. I had to do something similar with the money rules for a cyberpunk campaign I ran way back when, because even though I emphasized that all characters should start out dirt poor unless they had a good reason to be wealthier, buying off the disad during game play. Everyone just seemed to think it easier to come up with some reason they were middle-class and not deal with it, until they had to pay points for it.

Guest bblackmoor

Even telling players that a lower standard is in-genre and encouraged doesn't usually get them to lower their characters' abilities.

I'll tell you the first thing I would do is set them all to 10 and then buy them up or down as appropriate for the character. Making players take an extra step just to get to the start of Hero character generation is unneccesary and, frankly, dumb. It's not like anyone out there is saying that making a Hero System character is currently too simple, for goodness' sakes.

I'll tell you the first thing I would do is set them all to 10 and then buy them up or down as appropriate for the character. Making players take an extra step just to get to the start of Hero character generation is unneccesary and' date=' frankly, dumb. It's not like anyone out there is saying that making a Hero System character is currently too simple, for goodness' sakes.[/quote']

Oh, because taking that extra step is so difficult...

Now please take it to another thread. The point of this thread is for people posting write-ups to help other GMs who happen to like Valdorian Age.

Guest bblackmoor

Oh' date=' because taking that extra step is so difficult...[/quote']

An unnecessary step is an unnecessary step (and it's several steps, if you count each characteristic separately).

The point of this thread is for people posting write-ups to help other GMs who happen to like Valdorian Age.

One of them being me. Fair enough: carry on.

Speaking of which, has anyone written up a PC sorcerer using the house rules from Valdorian Age? It seems to me they place sorcery solidly into NPC-only territory, and I believe that's intentional, but I'm curious if anyone has been willing to bite the bullet and try to run one as a PC.

Someone is playing a mage character at The Valdorian Age game on Hero Central. I don't the player has the book though, and I don't know how closely MVC forced him into teh Valodorian Age constraints. But, you could take a gander if you felt the desire.

Someone is playing a mage character at The Valdorian Age game on Hero Central. I don't the player has the book though' date=' and I don't know how closely MVC forced him into teh Valodorian Age constraints. But, you could take a gander if you felt the desire.[/quote']

He was restrained pretty good. Not everything fit but I didn't have to bust out a shoe-horn. I picture The Valdorian Age as low magic anyway.

Not when it's stupid' date=' I'm not. :)[/quote']I'm not talking about you use in your own game or someone else's game, but here, in a collection of characters meant for the larger community - that should stick to official even when official is in violation of the spirit of the Hero system and the rules of Hero as it has otherwise stood for the past 24 years...

Official now has an exception, for one single genre, that is different than every other case of low powered Hero gaming, but that exception is official...

Guest bblackmoor

...but here' date=' in a collection of characters meant for the larger community...[/quote']

I'm letting it go in accordance with Super Squirrel's (eminently reasonable) wishes. I'm fine with it whether people post characters using standard Hero System rules or if they use the Valdorian Age house rules. I do think that people should make it explicit if they are using the Valdorian Age house rules, though, just for the sake of clarity.

Divine Sorcerer of the Radiant Dawn

8 STR

8 DEX

14 CON

10 BODY

15 INT

16 EGO

12 PRE

8 COM

2 PD

3 ED

2 SPD

5 REC

32 END

23 STUN

Abilities: +1 with Short Swords, AK: Ports of Il-Ryveras 11-, AK: Ancorable Beachs of Il-Ryveras 8-, KS: Stories and Legends of Il-Ryveras 11-, KS: History of the Radiant Dawn 13-, Teamwork 11-, Divine Sorcery 15-, KS: Divine Sorcery 14-, Summon 100 point Divine Servant, 125 Endurance Reserve with 25 REC

75+ Disadvantages: Distinctive Features: Mark of the Radiant Dawn, Physical Limitation: Sea Legs, Psychological Limitation: Code of the Radiant Dawn

Equipment: Short Sword, Padded Cloth Cuirass

Notes: The duty of the Divine Sorcerer is to provide all prestly duties aboard the ship and when necessary summon the necessary Divine Servant needed. One of the duties of the Divine Sorcerer is to maintain the protective circles. Four key locations on the ship have a protective circle upon them. Those locations are the wheel, the cargo hold, the crow's nest, and a large circle that extends from amidship to aft. The purpose of the circles is to serve multiple purposes. The primary purpose is to protect strategic locations from enemy sorcerers. The secondary purpose is to provide protective areas to contain a summoned creature if one is needed. All circles when reconstructed are given a week to make with the best materials around. Every generation of crew contains five Favor Holders. It is considered an honor to be appointed to the position of a Favor Holder. When the Divine Sorcerer owes favor, one of the Favor Holder takes control of that favor until the duty has been fullfilled.

Speaking of which' date=' has anyone written up a PC sorcerer using the house rules from Valdorian Age? It seems to me they place sorcery solidly into NPC-only territory, and I believe that's intentional, but I'm curious if anyone has been willing to bite the bullet and try to run one as a PC.[/quote']

Dunno about Valdorian age, since no-one I know is running/playing it, but in my game I have restricted mages in similar ways. Mage was never the most popular choice, but players still chose them.

The key, I think, is GM fairness. Since magic was restricted, it was less common - so the players could generally expect that if they had to rob the house of jon the generic merchant, he probably did not have magiclal protections. And they learned in play that if he DID - then it probably meant something fishy was going on.

In such a setting the mage player gets the benefit of "rareness" - in other words, if the guard captain starts behaving strangely, "he's been mind-controlled" is not the first thing that pops into people's heads. Most places are not guarded agains magical snooping or magical intrusion. However, the restrictions meant combat magic was a pretty dicey proposition. The party mage then became "oracle, magical enhancement and dealer in wierd stuff" not "mobile fire support platform".

Which is how I like it :D

cheers, Mark

Guest bblackmoor

The party mage then became "oracle' date=' magical enhancement and dealer in wierd stuff" not "mobile fire support platform".[/quote']

Well, in Valdorian Age, socrery is useless in direct combat: the five minute casting time -- or SEVERE negatives to the skill roll -- takes care of that. Sorcery also isn't useful for "buffing" characters during a fight, or providing any kind of long-term noncombat support such as invisibility or recon, or performing any kind of task that takes an extended period (using elementals to build a bridge or tear down a wall, for example): the requirement that everything cost full Endurance, every Phase, combined with the severe limitations on the Recovery of that Endurance, takes care of that.

So what do you do with a weapon that a) takes five minutes to power up, and B) has such enormous power requirements that you can only keep it running for a very brief period?

I assume everyone here has seen Real Genius.

Sorcerers will become snipers. That's really the thing they're best suited for, under the Valdorian Age house rules. With the cost required just to be a sorcerer (around 60 points, minimum, for the required Summon, Multipower, and two skills), combined with the low point level on which the Valdorian Age PCs are built (50 + 75 in Disads), they aren't going to be useful for much else. NPCs, of course, could potentially be far more flexible (and I assume they would be, or they'd not pose much of a threat).

There's nothing wrong with sorcerers becoming snipers--though the word I would use is 'assassin'. It's mostly a question of having the right SFX. The track-down-the-evil-wizard-who-slew-so-and-so-with-foul-magicks plot is a staple of S&S.

PC sorcerers in VA would also be perfectly suited for the support role, given enough prep time. ("Wait--before you enter that lair, let me bestow upon you the Blessing of Mxw'lghwtn.") And I don't recall anything that would prevent them from 'supporting' themselves...

Guest bblackmoor

There's nothing wrong with sorcerers becoming snipers--though the word I would use is 'assassin'.

Sniper, assassin, potayto, potahto. As for there being anything wrong with it, I wasn't making a value judgement about it, I was simply making an observation.

PC sorcerers in VA would also be perfectly suited for the support role' date=' given enough prep time. ("Wait--before you enter that lair, let me bestow upon you the Blessing of Mxw'lghwtn.")[/quote']

Unfortunately, the "Blessing of Mxw'lghwtn" (which won't be an Aid, Healing, Force Field, or Armor, to list a few "discouraged" Powers) will only last as many Phases as the sorcerer has Endurance, after which the sorcerer will be pretty much useless until she goes back and spends a few days at her opium den/cliff face/evil altar/what-have-you. Which means that unless the PCs encounter something scary within the first minute or so of entering the aforementioned lair, the "Blessing of Mxw'lghwtn" will have come and gone and left behind only the refreshing smell of Brut, and the sorcerer will be dead weight from that point forward.

That isn't a practical use of the power, in my opinion.

I have been trying to think of practical uses for sorcery other than assassination. Ordinarily, the limitations given for sorcery would suit a healer very well: not useful in combat, can't be done with any frequency, takes a long time for the healer to recover and repeat the trick, and so on. That would allow adventurers access to life-saving magic, restore lost limbs, permit the removal of magical curses, and so on. However, these uses of sorcery use Powers (Heal, Dispel Magic) which are specifically forbidden/discouraged under the Valdorian Age house rules. So that's out.

One thing worth considering is that Transform is specifically exempted from the "must cost full Endurance every Phase" rule. So there are probably noncombat uses for that which could serve a practical use, aside from turning people into toads: turning lead into gold, purifying water, blessing fields to be fertile, and so on. Not exactly the stuff of high adventure, but it's a practical use of the power. With some time to think, I'm sure I could think of useful ways to exploit Transform during an adventure.

Guest bblackmoor

STOP DERAILING MY THREAD

A. It's not "your" thread. The first person who posts in a thread doesn't own it (I've learned that the hard way).

B. Valdorian Age sorcerer characters, and their activities in the game, are on-topic.

C. Don't shout.

A. It's not "your" thread. The first person who posts in a thread doesn't own it (I've learned that the hard way).

So because someone did it to you means its alright for you to do it to others?

B. Valdorian Age sorcerer characters' date=' and their activities in the game, are on-topic.[/quote']The topic of the thread is character write-ups. I don't see you posting characters. I see you whining about sorcerers in Valdorian Age and whining about the choice to make characters 75+75 with base 8 in chars.

C. Don't shout.

Maybe you need to learn this this hard way. I can use size 7 font ANY DAMN TIME I WANT TO!

Now, should I start another thread and begin again or will you shortly be over there taking a leak in the cornflakes too?

Guest bblackmoor

I see you whining about sorcerers in Valdorian Age...

No one is whining about sorcerers. What on earth are you talking about?

Valdorian Age sorcerer characters' date=' and their activities in the game, are on-topic.[/quote']

For example, your "Divine Sorcerer of the Radiant Dawn" is a neat write-up. But other than drawing the protective circles, what do they actually do? Let's say a sea monster or a pirate ship shows up. What's the Divine Sorcerer's job during and after such a crisis? Some examples would be very helpful in seeing what role PC sorcerers might serve in the game.

Unfortunately' date=' the "Blessing of Mxw'lghwtn" (which won't be an Aid, Healing, Force Field, or Armor, to list a few "discouraged" Powers)[/quote']

It won't? Only Healing is explicitly banned. Even the drastically undercosted Force Field and Armor are only discouraged for SFX reasons. Give Force Field the Invisible Power advantage and that problem is solved--5rPD/2rED at 3 END/turn. The GM still has to specifically ban that.

will only last as many Phases as the sorcerer has Endurance,

I must have missed the part where VA bans extended duration for adjustment powers. And adjustment powers are among the most inefficient support powers. As it is a VA sorcerer PC could give the entire party Invisibility and Flight for a couple of minutes, which is plenty. Or use Clairsentience in conjunction with Telekinesis, hit some poor sucker with a huge Mind Control... the list goes on.

Really, the End Reserve requirement is the only thing about this campaign that brings noncombat sorcery into line. Stock FH campaigns have a serious game balance problem there.

Guest bblackmoor

I must have missed the part where VA bans extended duration for adjustment powers.

With the exceptions of powers which fade on their own (e.g., Aid, Flash, Transform, Drain) Powers cost full Endurance every Phase. That does mean that the sorcerer could potentially Aid her allies; however, the sorcery house rules strongly discourage that.

Aid and Transfer aren't banned outright, but they are supposed to have such severe limitations that you won't want to use them. For example, the suggested limitation for Aid is Side Effect, such as losing an equal amount of Dex when Aiding Strength. Force Field and Armor are banned, albeit with the same caveat that every game has: "you can do it anyway if you really want to" -- but I think that ignoring the Valdorian Age house rules kind of defeats the purpose of this thread, don't you? So if the Power is banned, we ought to treat it as banned.

Your other examples simply aren't practical: any Constant Power will wipe out the End Reserve in a minute or two, after which the sorcerer is out of commission for days or even weeks (depending on how soon the sorcerer gets back to her opium den, evil altar, or what have you). Even if that would be acceptable in the real world as the sorcerer gets called in as a "specialist" for a specific task, it wouldn't be much fun to play a one-hit wonder who then sits on the sidelines for the rest of the game.

So, keeping in mind the Valdorian Age house rules, what can a sorcerer do to contribute to a group of adventurers? Keeping in mind the laws against sorcery in Valdoria and Elweir, there would need to be some significant benefits for a group of PCs to willingly associate with a sorcerer.

I could see a sorcerer being very useful in an espionage game, such as one featuring the Duke's Men. Making the group Desolid for just a Phase or two would not require an unreasonable expenditure of Endurance. While Mind Control or any other mental power requiring long-lasting attention is out, a quick in-and-out hit with Telepathy could reveal the secret location of a treasure, the password to a back room, or the location of a kidnapped relative of one of The Fifty.

A sorcerer would have to be extremely subtle, and have very precise timing, to be useful to a group, but it could be done. It could even be worked into the Sword & Sorcery theme without too much trouble. Mainly I think it requires a shifting of gears about what role you expect magic to play in the game. You have to get creative, and find ways to make a large difference with Instant Powers (or very short term Constant Powers) that you have to plan ahead to use.

Guest bblackmoor

You have to get creative' date=' and find ways to make a large difference with Instant Powers (or very short term Constant Powers) that you have to plan ahead to use.[/quote']

Here is an example of such a character. He's rough, in the sense that I haven't given a lot of thought as to the best method of mini-maxing to try and cope with the Valdorian Age house rules, but that would come naturally with more experience playing in such a setting.

He ought to have a lot more skills than he does, but as sorcerer PC he simply could not afford them -- they would have to be purchased with Experience Points. His Intelligence really ought to be a few points higher, too. Oh, well. Still, I think he could be a playable PC. As an NPC, with more points spent on skills, he could be even more interesting.

Morgan Blaylock

Player: Brandon Blackmoor

Val	Char	Cost
10	STR	0
13	DEX	9
9	CON	-2
10	BODY	0
13	INT	3
18	EGO	16
14	PRE	4
9	COM	0

4	PD	2
4	ED	2
3	SPD	7
4	REC	0
18	END	0
20	STUN	0

6"	RUN	0
2"	SWIM	0
2"	LEAP	0

Characteristics Cost: 41 (standard Hero base 10 stats)

Cost	Power
17	Necromancer: Summon 200-point Spirits of the dead, 
Expanded Class of Beings any spirit of the dead (+1/2) 
(60 Active Points); Extra Time: 5 Minutes (special) (-1), 
Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Incantations 
(Requires Incantations throughout; -1/2), Requires A 
Necromancy Skill Roll (-1/2)
17	Necromancy: Multipower, 60-point reserve,  (60 Active 
Points); all slots Extra Time: 5 Minutes (special) (-1), 
2u	1)  Ghostly visage: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost) 
Desolidification  (affected by Sorcery) (40 Active Points); 
Extra Time: 5 Minutes (special) (-1), Gestures, Requires 
Gestures throughout (-1/2), Incantations (Requires 
Incantations throughout; -1/2), Requires A Necromancy 
Skill Roll (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9) plus Flight 10" (20 Active 
Points); Extra Time: 5 Minutes (special) (-1), Gestures, 
Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Incantations (Requires 
Incantations throughout; -1/2), Requires A Necromancy 
Skill Roll (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4)
1u	2)  Hand of glory: Telekinesis (20 STR), Fine Manipulation 
(40 Active Points); Extra Time: 5 Minutes (special) (-1), 
2u	3)  We know your secrets: Telepathy 12d6 (Human class 
of minds) (60 Active Points); Extra Time: 5 Minutes (special) 
(-1), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), 
Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; -1/2), 
Requires A Necromancy Skill Roll (-1/2)
2u	4)  Whispers from the grave: Retrocognitive Clairsentience 
(Hearing And Sight Groups), Discriminatory, Increased Arc 
Of Perception (360 Degrees) (60 Active Points); Extra Time: 
5 Minutes (special) (-1), Gestures, Requires Gestures 
throughout (-1/2), Incantations (Requires Incantations 
throughout; -1/2), Requires A Necromancy Skill Roll (-1/2)
13	Endurance Reserve  (100 END, 20 REC) Reserve:  (30 Active 
Points); REC:  (20 Active Points); Limited Recovery (must 
meditate in a necropolis; -2), Slow Recovery 1 Hour (-2), 
Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant 
Power (0 DCV; -1)

Powers Cost: 54

Cost	Skill
3	Necromancy 13-
4	KS: Necromancy 13-

3	Bribery 12-
3	Conversation 12-
3	Deduction 12-
3	High Society 12-
3	Lockpicking 12-
3	Persuasion 12-
3	Shadowing 12-
2	WF:  Common Melee Weapons

Skills Cost: 30

Total Character Cost: 125

10	Distinctive Features:  Walks with a limp 
(Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable 
By Commonly-Used Senses)
10	Hunted:  Inspector Kelb of Sigmark 8- 
(As Pow, Harshly Punish)
0	Normal Characteristic Maxima
15	Physical Limitation:  Bad left leg: walks with a cane 
(All the Time, Slightly Impairing)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Sees life as a game 
(Common, Strong)
10	Psychological Limitation:  Sucker for a pretty face 
(Common, Moderate)
10	Reputation:  Sorcerer, 8- (Extreme)
5	Reputation:  Sticks his nose in other people's business, 8-

Disadvantage Points: 75
Base Points: 50 (standard Hero base 10 stats)

Hell is a city much like London --

A populous and a smoky city;

There are all sorts of people undone,

And there is little or no fun done;

Small justice shown, and still less pity.

-- Percy Bysshe Shelley

Appearance

Morgan is a tall, pale human of medium build and indeterminate age (could be late thirties, could be early fifties). His hair is a shaggy shoulder-length mane, either pale blonde or prematurely grey. A childhood battle with the pox has left his cheeks scarred, and his eyes are shiny black beetles beneath bushy white brows. Coils of sweet blue-grey smoke curl from a lit Abyzinian cigarette in brown paper, which crackles slightly when he inhales.

His voluminous overcoat may once have been black, but it is now weathered and charcoal grey. His shirt is white linen, neither excessively worn nor excessively fine, and his grey slacks are tucked into knee-high black leather boots, in the style of Elweir nobility. A simple gold ring adorns his left middle finger: his left ring-finger ends at the first knuckle.

Morgan walks with an ever-so-slight limp, favoring his right side. He leans on a cane, straight black wood with its simple brass knob gripped by his right hand.

Campaign Use

Morgan is tough and canny, but not a schemer for his own sake, and certainly not the type out to rule the world. He's been around, and has served as advisor and trouble-shooter for a handful of rich and/or powerful folks from Revanna to Xirbellia to Dalthyr. "Advisor to the Queen" is his favorite part of his resume. Which Queen? Queen of what? On that he is somewhat evasive. Being evasive is something he does well.

In addition to his keen mind, he also has some sorcerous ability, although he does not flaunt it. Still, it has enabled him to solve mysteries and retrieve lost objects when no one else was able to do so.

Background/History

He was born in Sigmark, in the heartland of Valdoria, and his mother (a woman reputed to have Dryndrish blood) died when he was very young. His father then took Morgan to the city Elweir beyond the frontiers of Valdoria. His father died in a raid by the Bandit Lords when Morgan was in his teens. It was only then, in an anonymously delivered letter from his deceased father, that Morgan learned that he and his parents were sorcerers, the last surviors of an ancient legacy. The only memento Morgan has of his father is a silver amulet, which he carries with him everywhere.

Of late, Morgan has been solving puzzles for the local constabulary, or for whatever unfortunate can convince him to take their case (either by piquing his interest or paying his bills). His card reads, in large script, "Morgan Blaylock, Esq." In smaller script, beneath, it reads "Discreet Inquiries".

Personality/Motivation

Morgan likes being involved in interesting events, but doesn't like being the center of attention. He likes to solve puzzles, but he's not much for plotting against other people for its own sake. He is willing to do unsavory things, but he has a definite moral code, and always does what he does for what *he* thinks are good reasons. He's murdered innocent people in cold blood, but it's not something he brags about. Ultimately, he wants good to win and evil to be punished. It's just that sometimes good needs some help from people who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty.