Character: Olivia Benson (Law & Order: SVU)

Game Show Man

In honor of the show's season premiere tonight (and in light of the fact that I haven't done any character conversions recently), I decided to bring to you my adaptation of of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit heroine (and uber-hottie) Olivia Benson. Benson has a dark past: her father was a serial rapist who attacked both her and her mother. It was these acts that prompted her to join the volunteer Special Victims Unit of the NYPD, where she was partnered with ex-U.S. Marine Elliot Stabler (whom I'll do a write-up for later). She is known to sympathize with the victims she meets, even to the point of actively involving herself in their lives. She has even offered herself up as bait for the bad guys from time to time. The feminine half of one of TV's most bad-*** crimefighting duos, here's...

Det. Olivia Benson

Player: Mariska Hargitay

Val Char Cost

11 STR 1

14 DEX 12

12 CON 4

12 BODY 4

16 INT 6

18 EGO 16

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

2 PD 0

2 ED 0

2 SPD 0

4 REC 0

24 END 0

24 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 51

Cost Power

20 Found It!: +4 with Skills related to finding things

11 Tell Me What I Want To Know: Telepathy 8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, -2), Can Only Read Surface Thoughts (-1/2), Instant (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Requires An Interrogation Roll (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 31

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Commando Training

3 1) Aikido Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4 2) Boxing Cross: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 4d6 Strike

4 3) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 26 STR vs. Grabs

4 4) Judo Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 21 STR to Disarm roll

3 5) Hold: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 21 STR for holding on

4 6) Kung Fu Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

Martial Arts Cost: 22

Cost Skill

2 +1 PER with Sight Group

3 +1 with Pistols

3 +1 with Commando Training

2 AK: New York City 11-

3 Acting 12-

1 Breakfall 8-

1 Bureaucratics 8-

0 Climbing 8-

1 Combat Driving 8-

0 Concealment 8-

5 Conversation 13-

3 Criminology 12-

5 Deduction 13-

3 Disguise 12-

5 Interrogation 13-

2 KS: Criminal Law and Procedure 11-

2 KS: Law Enforcement World 11-

2 PS: Police Officer 11-

0 Language: native (completely fluent; literate)

0 Paramedics 8-

5 Persuasion 13-

3 Shadowing 12-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Streetwise 12-

-1 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

2 WF: Small Arms

Skills Cost: 58

Cost Perk

4 Contact (Alex Cabot/Casey Novak) (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) 11-

4 Contact (Dr. George Huang) (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) 11-

2 Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers

2 Fringe Benefit: Law Enforcement Rank (NYPD Detective)

1 Fringe Benefit: Weapon Permit (where appropriate)

Perks Cost: 13

Cost Talent

25 Danger Sense (Immediate Vicinity, Out of Combat) 12-

Talents Cost: 25

Cost Equipment (Equipment costs do not actually figure in Total Cost. They are included here for reference only.)

Glock 19 9mm: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, 17 Charges (+1/4) (25 Active Points); STR Minimum 9 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7) plus +1 with OCV (5 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 2)

Handcuffs: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF, Standard effect: 3 BODY, 6 DEF (+0), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (45 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Set Effect (Hands Only) (-1), Does Not Prevent The Use Of Accessible Foci (-1), No Range (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)

Cellular Phone: HRRP (Radio Group), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Hours (+0) (12 Active Points); OAF (-1), Cellular Band Communications Only (-1), Sense Affected As Sight and Hearing Group (-1/2)

Total Character Cost: 200

Pts. Disadvantage

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

5 Distinctive Features: Uniform/Badge (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Hunted: NYPD 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

20 Psychological Limitation: Sympathetic to Vicitms (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Devoted to Justice (Common, Strong)

15 Reputation: Member of the "Panty Police", 14-

20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Major)

15 Social Limitation: Dark Secret (Previous Rape Victim) (Occasionally, Severe)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 100

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: Character: Olivia Benson (Law & Order: SVU)

I watched the end of it when I got home from work. The only one between this, the original, and CI, I dont watch regularly (though CI will not be so much this season thanks to Family Guy). Though I do watch SVU semi-regularly (too creepy to watch every week). Anyway, I'd say Stabler would be perfect for Dark Champions. Ex-Marine, cop on edge. He'd be perfect as a get kicked off the force turn vigilante if you wanted to insert him in DC campaign. Just please no Ice T.;)

Ummm ... not so sure about giving Olivia "Commando Training". In the episodes I've seen, she hasn't shown any skill in hand-to-hand beyond what police training (which is Dirty Infighting) and self-defense courses will give you.

Might also want to add Dr. Roberta Hendrix (Mary Stuart Masterson's character) as another contact ...

Chris Davies.

I think it looks very good. It's too bad Hero doesn't have a Psych Limit level between Strong and Total; I think that's where her compassion would go (in the times I've seen the show she's even extend a little to the perps, what with so many of them having been victims themselves).

Now we just gotta get John Munch written out (including his historical inability to hold on to a partner, at least between Bolander and Tutuollah).

• 2 weeks later...

Is Tutollah still on the show?

I don't get to watch SVU as much as I used to watch it. Last season it was in conflict with The Shield so I watched that show.

I find that Ice-T makes a pretty good cop consider his less than legal background.