Full Metal Alchemist

Super Squirrel

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Full Metal Alchemist

That's because it's (IIRC) " Recca no Honou". Or try "Flame of Recca". I think that was the English translation of the title.

The funny thing about Al's English voice casting is that I think it's one of the rare cases where the English voice casting was better than the Japanese. The dub actor's voice works better to convey that that is a little boy in there.

Well I know how that is, here in Scandinavia all the different countries have different voice actors so I can pick and chose wich one I like best.

It is fun to hear how much difference a voice make.

And I suspect that people like the first voice they heard the best most often.

That's because it's (IIRC) " Recca no Honou". Or try "Flame of Recca". I think that was the English translation of the title.

The funny thing about Al's English voice casting is that I think it's one of the rare cases where the English voice casting was better than the Japanese. The dub actor's voice works better to convey that that is a little boy in there.

That's one way to spell it, anyway. That's the problem with translating a syllable-based language to a letters-based one. You never know to spell stuff. I've seen it written 'Rekka no Hono,' Recca no Honnou,' and everywhere in-between.

Though I still giggle every time I read 'shojo' to mean 'girl's.' That accent mark is quite essential.

Anyway. Yeah, it's Flame of Recca in English.

And I haven't watched any of the FMA dub, but I do like Al's voice actress in the original Japanese.

*is a subtitle snob*

I dunno' date=' Hellsing was better with the English voice actors than the subs...[/quote']

That's what I've been told.

There's also, apparently, a fairly blah series out there that ADV completely redid the dialogue for, so now it's a comedy. From what I've heard of it, they did a really good job. So you get a completely different experience if you only watch the subtitled version.

But generally, given a choice, I prefer subtitles. I've watched too many dubs people raved over, only to be disappointed by flat delivery or bad timing.

And some dubs just about make my ears bleed.

I prefer subtitles myself. It's not so much a snobbery thing as that a bad dub does more damage than a bad sub, so you're safer with subtitles.

With FMA, I actually watched 1-30 in English and 31-51 in Japanese and didn't feel much of a disconnect.

On the other hand, the only humor left in the English dub of, say, Tenchi Muyo is sitting there sniggering 'Yeah, water... he's hung over because he overdid it last night drinking all that bottled water. And, like, whoa, that's some strong tea there...'

*refuses to get into the Tenchi thing again*

It's not really snobbery on my part, either. That's my shorthand word for it.

Honestly, I think the whole debate was rendered pretty moot once DVDs were invented. They can put both language tracks on there for the same price as the subtitled VHS used to cost. So really, the only time I bother to argue the point is if I'm watching it with someone else. And even then . . . most people I know agree with my assessment of dubs. Or they can agree to the 'house rule' of 'the person it belongs to gets to decide whether we watch it subbed or dubbed.'

*refuses to get into the Tenchi thing again*

Ok, then, substitute the amusement value of watching later episodes of Sailor Moon in the English Dub. "Cousins, are they? So that's how it is in that family..."

Honestly' date=' I think the whole debate was rendered pretty moot once DVDs were invented. They can put both language tracks on there for the same price as the subtitled VHS used to cost. So really, the only time I bother to argue the point is if I'm watching it with someone else. And even then . . . most people I know agree with my assessment of dubs. Or they can agree to the 'house rule' of 'the person it belongs to gets to decide whether we watch it subbed or dubbed.'[/quote']

It still kicks in a bit if you're poor enough to be getting some of your anime fix from TV. The vast majority of what gets airplay around here will be dubbed, because the broadcasters think that the general audience won't watch subs (and, well, they're probably right.) That's actually why I wound up doing the half-and-half thing with FMA. I was catching some episodes on Cartoon Network and some from bittorrent downloads. I figured the translation must be pretty good because I was able to swap back and forth without confusion.

Ok' date=' then, substitute the amusement value of watching later episodes of Sailor Moon in the English Dub. "[i']Cousins[/i], are they? So that's how it is in that family..."

Oh, I just meant that I'd already derailed one thread with my anti-Tenchi rant. But yeah, the Sailor Moon edits are worse than cringeworthy. They make me want to run away, screaming the whole way.

It still kicks in a bit if you're poor enough to be getting some of your anime fix from TV. The vast majority of what gets airplay around here will be dubbed' date=' because the broadcasters think that the general audience won't watch subs (and, well, they're probably right.) That's actually why I wound up doing the half-and-half thing with FMA. I was catching some episodes on Cartoon Network and some from bittorrent downloads. I figured the translation must be pretty good because I was able to swap back and forth without confusion.[/quote']

Ah, that's the thing. Josh and I are SO poor that we don't get the cable stations that show anime.

T v T

But Blockbuster Online is cheaper and more entertaining, anyway.

I think after Christmas' date=' assuming certain things take place. I will begin converting all Flame of Recca characters over to Hero System rules.[/quote']

The author of Flame of Recca is writing another series that I am enjoying. MAR (which stands for Marchen Awakens Romance) it's a wish fullfillment fantasy style setting. Funny, cute. Action.

Just curious.

Volume 4 of the Manga has a sort of "map" of the world. I could make the map and put in the rivers and towns but wouldn't be able to name very many of the towns.

And in light of tonight's episode, I'm pretty sure I can do a write-up for Greed.

My question is the following:

Should I make a conversion system for the actual FullMetal Alchemist world or should adapt the system, putting in its own world?

Ok' date=' then, substitute the amusement value of watching later episodes of Sailor Moon in the English Dub. "[i']Cousins[/i], are they? So that's how it is in that family..."

Absolutely. I recall sitting there, trying to get my jaw off the floor, confusedly saying, "Okay, so rather than having two teenage lesbians (fly, lesbian seagull....), you'd rather have two incestuous teenage lesbians. Right, got it. WTF?!?!?!" I mean, they even came out and called them kissing cousins! What more do you need?

It still kicks in a bit if you're poor enough to be getting some of your anime fix from TV. The vast majority of what gets airplay around here will be dubbed' date=' because the broadcasters think that the general audience won't watch subs (and, well, they're probably right.) That's actually why I wound up doing the half-and-half thing with FMA. I was catching some episodes on Cartoon Network and some from bittorrent downloads. I figured the translation must be pretty good because I was able to swap back and forth without confusion.[/quote']

Gah. I worked the anime rooms for the San Diego ComiCon, and we showed one of the Inu Yasha movies; the crowd kept whining for the dub! I finally had to shout them down (boy were they shocked) and tell them that, unless we were unable to, we would show all animations in their original language; which means we're hearing Inu Yasha the Angry, not Inu Yasha the teenaged punk. :rolleyes: Oy vey. No taste, no taste at all.

I mean' date=' they even came out and called them kissing cousins! What more do you need?[/quote']

Maybe you know this, but "kissing cousins" is a term used for people who are related but its legal for them to marry. I think this means at least 2nd cousins, or once removed, or something like that.