Full Metal Alchemist

Super Squirrel

Re: Full Metal Alchemist

Maybe you know this' date=' but "kissing cousins" is a term used for people who are related but its legal for them to marry. I think this means at least 2nd cousins, or once removed, or something like that.[/quote']

Exactly. As in, "could be sleeping together without violating the incest taboo." Since they made them "cousins" in the dub to make people think they weren't sleeping together...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, I know. My family's all from the Alabama-Tennessee-Georgia area, so the idea isn't foreign to me. Thing is, it still didn't make the situation all kiddified like they wanted. Sure, they're related now, so some stuff - like sleeping in each other's bed - isn't such a big deal, but they still acted a little too romantic toward each other. I don't recall any of my female "kissin' cousins" acting like that.

I'm up to volume 3 of the manga and am loving it. I've not seen any of the anime, so I think reading this thread has spoiled some of the upcoming bits. But hey, no big deal. One question, though -- since this is the US, shouldn't it be the "Sorcerer's Stone"? :D

Oh, and before I forget! Spike Dies!!!

I'm up to volume 3 of the manga and am loving it. I've not seen any of the anime, so I think reading this thread has spoiled some of the upcoming bits. But hey, no big deal. One question, though -- since this is the US, shouldn't it be the "Sorcerer's Stone"? :D

I'll be sure to accidenly post write-ups for all 7 sins as soon as I can to spoil things faster for you. ;)

Also doing a particular Chimera write-up would spoil things a bit as well. I've personally tried to keep things fair. And I haven't spoiled everything for myself yet either.

I'm actually planning on giving you the write-ups for characters I make to throw up onto your website.

WHY did you do that? :weep:

I've added Full Metal Alchemist to Aldaric Gaming.

I'll begin moving material over once I have some spare time tonight. Once the Full Metal Alchemist section is full setup, I'll post an announcement or something. Oh yeah, click on ads if you go. I might be able to buy some commission artwork by Mid-December if people keep up the clicking.

It's a childs voice and he does well. It kind of reminds me of Haly Osmet' date=' obviously young but with a sense of wisdom.[/quote']

The japanece actor also had a sense of wisdom in his voice but what I thought were funniest was his "annoying little brother voice"

Nisaa. NisaAA! NIsAAA! :lol:

All 7 didn't appear in the anime. Do the missing ones appear in the manga?

I can name six of the seven sins that appear (by either name of sin or other spoilist means). Based on what I know about the sins. I don't know about #7 just yet but I have a really good idea as to that one.

Well, I just grabbed (and read) volume 4. Whew.... it was fairly light and sort of silly for a while and then *bam* darkness descends.

OTOH, it had Winry and Winry = teh win! :D

And I think I need to steal the "are you real" bit for Kazei 5.

• 2 weeks later...

I did some layout changes to the Fullmetal Alchemist page.

I'm bummed over losing Adsense so I decided I might as well make it up by improving the actual content. I added some information to the Alchemy System (though the content needs more layout work) and I added Alchemy Powers and created the three categories of Alchemy I could think of. Two sample power write-ups are in Transmutation.

Oh, I need to add Botany before I forget.

So far so good Super Squirrel.

One big advantage that Ed and his Teacher appear to have over most other Alchemists is their ability to use a wide array of powerful but limited special effect Alchemy powers without first drawing a transmutation circle ahead of time. Other characters appear to be able to match their speed by use of pre-drawn circles on body parts/gloves (like Mustang) or their raw power with a hand-drawn circle and in doing so not be limited to a specific special effect (used by various including ED for non-metal/earth specific effects).

It appears at first glance that ALL types of Alchemists would have to take some type of minimum limitation for their Alchemy VPP's. How to handle Ed's ability to do 2 different types and whether this requires 2 different VPP's is the big question.

Good Luck figuring it all out.

HM

• 2 months later...

Given my tendency to modifier existing works, I figured I'd give Alchemy a crack.

Sticking with the VPP concept, here’s how I would build Alchemy.

Cosmic VPP with the Following Limitations

Alchemic Heraldry (AKA Transmutation Circle; treated as a single Procedural Limitation):

1. Extra Time (5 Minutes; -2)
  2. Gestures (Throughout -1/2)
  3. *Diagram (1” per 50 active points; Surface Diagram; -1)
  4. IIF (Drawing utensils of Opportunity; -1/4)
  5. Requires a Skill Roll (Alchemic Heraldry, INT based; -1/2)
  6. Total Limitation Values: -4 1/4

These limitations represent just the Transmutation Circle necessary for Alchemy. From there you'd need additional limitations/Side-effects for the whole Equivalent Exchange thing. The Skill Roll limitation is to represent that if the diagram is miss-drawn it could fail, or have some negative effect. Naturally taking Extra time (above the minimum 5 minutes) would grant bonuses.

*:This is a variation on the Physical Manifestation limitation I developed myself. bear in mind that I only have a vague idea of how Physical manifestation actually works because my budget is limited and can't afford a whole book just for one limitation right now (unless there is a compilation book of rules additions made in supplements that I can buy somewhere?) so here is the write up I came up with for the limitation, some stuff may need to be changed to fit with Alchemy better.

Diagrams (-1/2): This special form of Physical Manifestation signifies a power that requires a recognizable diagram or complex symbol be present in order to the spells effect to take place. Characters with Knowledge: Arcane and Occult Lore may make a skill check to recognize the diagram and thus the effects of the spell. This is due to the fact that the Diagram uses long established symbolism to focus the effect of the spell. Like a normal Physical Manifestation the spell effect ends immediately if the diagram is damaged of marred. The Physical Manifestation can gain several modifiers to its base value depending on the nature of the Diagram. In the case of Diagrams, space becomes an important issue, as the power will not be usable if there isn’t sufficient space for the diagram. Diagrams require 1” of free surface area per 50 Active points in the power. Diagrams are worth -1/4 more limitation then normal Physical Manifestations (as shown above). Unless stated otherwise the Diagram is created (often in energy) as the spell activates and requires no effort in and of itself to create.

Modifiers:

• 1”/25 AP: +(-1/4)
  • Surface Diagram; there must be a large enough surface capable of supporting the diagram, Always Immobile. Examples include drawn on a stone floor in chalk or etched into mud with a stick. Again, the symbols are assumed to just “appear” unless this limitation is combined with the Extra Time (minimum of 1-5 minutes), and Gestures limitations to represent drawing the diagram.
    Note: In this case, the DEF of the Diagram cannot exceed the Def of the surface it is placed on, so if its drawn in sand (DEF 0-1) it also has DEF 0 to 1: +(-1/2)

The interesting Part!

Now we come to the interesting part, individuals who appear to be Exempt from the normal laws of Alchemy, and Those who use shortcuts.

Effectively these would be built as Naked Power "Advantages" which offset existing limitations on the VVP’s Control Cost.

Example: a Glove with alchemic symbols stitched into it for, say, Fire based Alchemy. would be built as follows. User has an 80 point Cosmic VPP with just the Alchemic Heraldry (see above) limitations for this example

*notes are in Italics

Naked Power Advantage: Offset Alchemic Heraldry (-4 1/4) On "Alchemy" VPP Control (because VPP Modifiers are applied only to the control up) to 120(120/(1+4.25)=22.8) (Active Points 97 (120-23=97)); Only for Fire-Alchemy Powers (Breakable, Fragile; -3/4), OIF (Glove with Alchemic Heraldry embroidered into it; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4). Total cost: 39

(Limitations on they Power Advantage would apply to all Alchemy Powers purchased through that Pool since the limitations are effectively being replaced by the new ones.)

End result: The example Character would pay 102 Points for his 80 Point Pool, before accounting for additional limitations based on Equivalent Exchange and etc, and an additional 39 for the Glove, which might be waived in heroic games. For a grand total of 141 points total in Alchemy Related powers.

In any case that’s my two cents; bear in mind that I have a rather limited knowledge of the series itself and am currently using some slightly outdated source material.