Full Metal Alchemist

Super Squirrel

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Full Metal Alchemist

Hola everyone, given that this thread seems to have died (again) I think I will post what I have thus far as far as Alchemy goes, it isn't perfect and could still use from work, but I think its about time I got a fresh perspective. the system has gotten all confusseled in my head. plus there are just so many caveats for alchemy that trying to create a cohesive system to account for all of them, while keeping it simple and play-able, has jsut about burned me out :weep:

[ATTACH]20817[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...

I dont think that Alchemy should be a VVP. Most of the Alchemists seam to have 1 specailty and dont do much else (roy dose Fire/ EBs, Armstrong dose stone/ Physical attacks and so on). I just dont see everyone being able to do everything...

the only ones that seam to have VVPs are Ed and Ed's teacher.

If you created multipowers with EC backups I belive that you would get more of the feel of the series. Of course as the PCs you would need to decide if you had seen the gate (VVP) or not (standard Alchemy), balance would still be mantained becuase everyone is on the same points.

Of course there is the Automail and living armor things (I personally think that Automail is WAAYYYYYYYYYYYY kewl :D)

Someone posted earlyer that rank should cost point. I disagree.

If it is a Alchemist gamethen everyone is ion the army right? If you want to have ranks just decide that some of the players out rank the others and move on. If its not a military game ignore it. I just feel that players should not have to spend point for little to no reason (ok I know Ill get flamed for that comment but Im making it anyway MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH)

I love this series ( watched them all and its awsome) and would love to play in a game based in the same world or off of it. I might suggest though that a differnt game system (like Big Eyes Small Mouth. Its a much simpler system and would memic the Alchemist world nicely. OK its one of my favorite systems...what can I say :thumbup:)

but this is just my opinion.

Love the rightups i have read so far, keep up the good work

• 7 months later...

My apologizes. The site is still up but the domain name fell and I didn't get them redirected.

Anything that has aldaric.com can be replaced with: http://aldaric.org/store/

I'll see about getting them moved over in the near future. If I had time, I'd do more write-ups about the world now that I have seen it all.

Alchemy Transmutation: Xd6 Transform Anything into Anything, Improved Group Results (+1) (Active Points: 30 Points per Die); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Requires Alchemy Roll (-1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), Variable Limitation(OAF Fragile Arrangement, OAF Fragile and RSR(Alchemy), OIF Fragile, Very Difficult; -3/4), Gestures (-1/4), Laws of Transmutation or the Philosopher's Stone (-1), Target and Alchemist Must Be In Contact With Same Ground (-1/4), Side Effects(Extreme, Whenever the Alchemist Attempts to Transmute Humans; -3/4), Visible (-1/4), Extra Time(Full Phase, Can Be Pushed Up Time Chart; -1/4). Total Cost: 6 Points per Die.

To be a decent Alchemist you need to have at least 30 points invested into Alchemy. You would need to put in 60 points to be a powerful Alchemist. People who focus on a particular Alchemy can reduce the Active Point Cost by dropping the Improved Group Results.

Do you know a way to import that as a unit into HD and scale it do that all the calculations are done based on the number of dice you want to use?

This would be a pretty darn handy function to add to the program, I think; the ability to import, use and scale whole power constructions. so useful that I'm thinking it must already exist. Any thoughts, Simon?

One thing I wonder about the FMA world is whether Alchemy is available to anyone who is willing to take the trouble to learn it, or whether one must have a special gift to use it. Given that there are quite a few important people in the series who are not alchemists (either machinists like Windy or ordinary people like that librarian), yet alchemy has a set of well-known and easily-transmitted principles, I am wondering why anyone would choose not to learn at least a little of it. Or, indeed, why anyone would go to the trouble of earning a living any other way when they could simply turn organic and inorganic material they happen to be around into anything they need at the time (grass into bread, piled stone into a house, water into wine, etc.).

Also; even if you can't make a human with alchemy, what about a non-human animal such as a cow? Even if you can't make a live cow, dead cows are very useful in some circumstances....

Well, as least in the Manga any transmutation of a living entity is risky business. thats what Chimaras are. and making it whole cloth is even worse.

As to why more people don't practice alchemy, thats simple. The First stage of Alchemy is "Understanding". And since Alchemy as a magic system doesn't contain anything akin to divination, that requires that would-be alchemists study the sciences

Do you know a way to import that as a unit into HD and scale it do that all the calculations are done based on the number of dice you want to use?

This would be a pretty darn handy function to add to the program, I think; the ability to import, use and scale whole power constructions. so useful that I'm thinking it must already exist. Any thoughts, Simon?

One thing I wonder about the FMA world is whether Alchemy is available to anyone who is willing to take the trouble to learn it, or whether one must have a special gift to use it. Given that there are quite a few important people in the series who are not alchemists (either machinists like Windy or ordinary people like that librarian), yet alchemy has a set of well-known and easily-transmitted principles, I am wondering why anyone would choose not to learn at least a little of it. Or, indeed, why anyone would go to the trouble of earning a living any other way when they could simply turn organic and inorganic material they happen to be around into anything they need at the time (grass into bread, piled stone into a house, water into wine, etc.).

Also; even if you can't make a human with alchemy, what about a non-human animal such as a cow? Even if you can't make a live cow, dead cows are very useful in some circumstances....

For Hero Designer, just do Major Transform with Improved Group Results and then a Custom Disadvantage "Alchemy Limitations" at a -4.

Here's another odd thought I just had, more to do with setting than rules: assuming Alphonse Elric lives long enough, is he going to become an adult unless he somehow has his soul transferred to a human body? Or will he retain his child-like mental qualities because the physical impetus for puberty does not exist (since he lacks a human body)?

Of course, if he remains a suit of alchemically-animated armor for the rest of his life he isn't exactly going to be dating the cute girl from the library although heaven knows that I would if I lived in that world....), but how much of the process of emotional maturity is independent of the hormones and such that come with a human body?

(The question of whether Edward will ever get the chance to put two and two together on the Winry front is best left to rampant fan speculation; if he did, the practical problems he might face are no worse than anyone else who has had limbs amputated would face in the real world and can be overcome with determination.)

Well, Based on the Manga, given enough time he would indeed 'hit puberty' because although the armor is animated alchemiclly by his soul, The Blood Seal is still connecting that soul to al's body (though his mind), which exists on the other side of the Gate. (IIRC, said body is being supported by Eds eating and sleeping because he used his blood in the binding. So once the chemical changes start happening in the body, the mind (as the mediator between the body and the armor) would follow.

As for Ed, he wouldn't have too many problems in that allthough he has amputated limbs, the replacements are easily as useful as the origionals, if cumbersome and prone to chill, also, since winry is his mechanic, it's likely that she could simply build him a lighter version using a wood+Cloth+(maybe)plastic casing which would be less cumbersome and annoying in for around the house, and definitly in bed.

Well' date=' on the plus side at least Al won't need protection.[/quote']

Al is protection.

And I mean that quite literally; given that any sort of physical intimacy with a great big suit of armor would not be possible for a human female, but Al DOES know that he can express love for a person by preserving them from harm.

any sort of physical intimacy with a great big suit of armor would not be possible for a human female' date='[/quote']

Or vice versa (Al couldn't be physically intimate with a human female) - but why worry about human females? Since the transformation took place before puberty, do we really have any indication of what Al's preference would be?

Gives whole new life to the yaoi fanfic, doesn't it? :eg:

Al DOES know that he can express love for a person by preserving them from harm.

(Don't worry, this is child-friendly enough. It's just a literal spoiler, if you haven't seen season 2 of the anime.)

Not very effectively, as shown when Pride slid a sword through the chinks in Al's metallic armored shell and killed the snake chimera :P

Or vice versa (Al couldn't be physically intimate with a human female) - but why worry about human females? Since the transformation took place before puberty, do we really have any indication of what Al's preference would be?

Gives whole new life to the yaoi fanfic, doesn't it? :eg:

One of the big hits at Kumoricon this year was a commentary track for the movie along those lines that was, to put it bluntly, rather twisted.