The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

The Tour De France has just finished. Christopher Froome won and this was his third overall win and also a back to back win. But also Adam Yates won the young rider jersey coming 4th overall, and Mark Cavendish won 4 individual stages making him second on the all time list behind Eddy Merckx.

But one thing I found very amusing was when Adam Yates was on the podium the women beside him were as tall if not taller than him.

Did they dope the bikes this year or just the riders?

This from an American. who was the biggest cheater at the Tour ? And which country's team were the biggest cheaters ?

Tuesday at the cafe by the waterfront and a helicopter lands at Stonehouse barracks and then takes off again a few minutes later. Almost like it was specifically timed for me.

Did they dope the bikes this year or just the riders?

This from an American. who was the biggest cheater at the Tour ? And which country's team were the biggest cheaters ?

Hey, we judge 'em by style, the same way we judge crooked politicians.

Took the four boys from church to a Ranger Kids' day in the next town over. One of the games was "Needle in a Haystack." This was literal. While my kids were taking their turn to look, one of the other commanders said there was a special prize for the boys who found the golden needles. I said, "Maybe next year you can have them look for the marble in the oatmeal."

The adults gave me weird looks. My youngest piped up, "Yeah! And the special prize would be getting to drink from the fire hose!"

They looked at him like he had grown a third arm and said, "That would knock a little guy like you right over."

I said, "You're awesome, Jonny."

[Nobody found the needles all day. Sometime when I'm not so wiped out I should share the story of the boffer sword fights (made from pool noodles). Great fun!

Pictures here! That's me in the second picture, blue vest, back to the camera. You can see me better in the boffer fight pix.]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the friends have gone on the next stage of the tour up to Bath and then Highclere castle etc. They got a tour of the town despite the weather and were shown parts of Devon and Cornwall. It was very nice for me as well as it has been fourteen years since I last saw them in person. It enabled my mother to repay hospitality shown to me when I stayed with them in the States and also for hampers they send her at Christmas. My mother even gifted Laura one of her old hats.

• 2 weeks later...

First trip to Reading since May. met friends at the station, waited while one got his birthday present at a local games shop and then onto the home. Played Dredd and Apples to Apples. Also in the 5th edition D+D game, we found out that Glass Steel is the missing wizard and trashed the armoury for the Red Brands. We are now on the trail of the Black Spider and the lost Dwarven mine.

Told the friends about my recent run in with the cops which surprised them.

• 2 weeks later...