The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

had a good day on the game front. Was ahead by over 10 levels on Diamond Digger and am now stuck but on level 509. So Farm Heroes decides to blitz me and I am now only three behind and over 500 levels completed. Candy Crush Soda and Pepper Panic also cooperative getting through a few levels on both although the latter is a lot easier.

• 2 weeks later...

I had been pricing a new TV, and found one last week online at a club store that was $300 below what anyone else was selling it. But when my tax refund went into my bank account, the TV was nowhere to be found on their site. I resigned myself to missing the deal, and went in after work today to buy my second choice. While talking with the friendly sales assistant, he pointed out the one that I was originally wanting as a comparison model, with one new in the box left, still at the great price. The box just fit in the back seat of my Prius, with maybe an inch of space on each side to close the door.

It's been set up now in my spare bedroom/media room, and I've found that the built-in Wi-Fi was dual-band, it will play pretty much anything that my DLNA servers will put out, and the upscale function actually works pretty well. The next adventure will be setting up a surround sound system, but the speakers on the TV are actually pretty good in the meantime.

Surround sound is set up, and sounds absolutely wonderful, once I figured out the proper modes and settings for various inputs. It likes FLAC files from my home DLNA servers (and even played Paradise Theatre gapless), and was easy to connect to XM's internet service. The Android app very easily found the receiver on the network, and, in addition to controlling everything (Blu-Ray player and TV), also acts as its own server for music on my phone. It took me a few minutes to figure out the audio return channel from the TV, but it's now working and sounds great.

Next step is moving the XBox One over.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent Saturday in Reading seeing friends despite an hour delay due to a person on the tracks at Star Cross, Played Boss Monster (a card game), Judge Dredd, D+D 5th Edition and Arkham Horror. The friends in Reading now have Guinea Pigs. Got late Christmas and Birthday presents. Got back to Plymouth before midnight and was home shortly thereafter.

Sunday was Mothering Sunday. Made sure Mum had her card. Also had good progress on Farm Heroes, Candy Crush and Pepper Panic 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a call from "Microsoft" saying that their servers found my computer downloading viruses. I played dumb, and managed to get up to the point where they were going to fix my Internet license* for only $199. I was told to stop wasting their time after I said that I didn't have a checking account, and only pay in cash.

16 1/2 minutes before they disconnected. Oh, we hit all of the high points, including loading Event Viewer and saying that all of the errors were "viruses", and I seemed to confuse him a bit when I told him that my browser was Opera. I also dragged my feet enough for him to give me two different website links, since "Kaperkski" was blocking the first, and the second crashed my non-existent version of Opera. Of course, he was the the third "tech", since the first was confused when I asked which of the five computers was the one (it basically ended up being "pick one"), and the second got confused when I read him the run box text description. Heck, if I had thought of it, I should have told him that I dropped off of the internet, and needed to reconnect. Oh, well, next time. :winkgrin:

*I assume that it would be a dog license, with the word "dog" crossed out, and "internet" then written in crayon.

Just got a call from "Microsoft" saying that their servers found my computer downloading viruses. I played dumb, and managed to get up to the point where they were going to fix my Internet license* for only $199. I was told to stop wasting their time after I said that I didn't have a checking account, and only pay in cash.

16 1/2 minutes before they disconnected. Oh, we hit all of the high points, including loading Event Viewer and saying that all of the errors were "viruses", and I seemed to confuse him a bit when I told him that my browser was Opera. I also dragged my feet enough for him to give me two different website links, since "Kaperkski" was blocking the first, and the second crashed my non-existent version of Opera. Of course, he was the the third "tech", since the first was confused when I asked which of the five computers was the one (it basically ended up being "pick one"), and the second got confused when I read him the run box text description. Heck, if I had thought of it, I should have told him that I dropped off of the internet, and needed to

. Oh, well, next time. :winkgrin:

*I assume that it would be a dog license, with the word "dog" crossed out, and "internet" then written in crayon.

I got a similar call last week. After being told that my computer was "sending bad signals", I told the woman that I'd been without electricity for half a week and my computer hadn't been connected. She hung up on me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ran into one of my former students today. She's now double majoring in chemistry and chemical engineering, which she attributes to having me as a teacher in high school. She said, "I was planning to be an English major before I took your class."

Today's been a great day.

• 2 weeks later...