The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Last summer, the wife bought a couple of flowering plants from some craft fair.  Younger boy and I planted them a couple of weeks later.  As flowers they suck; I don't think they've produced many, if any.  But it turns out that monarch butterflies like them.  So for the past month we've been watching as a couple of itty bitty caterpillars munch leaves and become big fat caterpillars.

Finally last weekend one of them became a cocoon (chrysalis, technically).  Watched it throughout a week of pretty crummy weather (for here).  We had a crisis where the leaf it was attached to fell off the plant; we put it in a plastic container on the porch.  Then we had another crisis when the dumbass gardener blew it halfway across the yard with a leaf blower, because of course I pay this dude every month to leaf blow my front door. 

Despite all these travails, the thing actually hatched this morning, and left in the afternoon.  Happy birthday bug, and good luck, looks like you're going to need it.

Up at 4:30 a.m. on Saturday in order to get a train. Made the bud service to Totnes and then the 7:17 train. Got into Reading for 9:40 which was a bit early. So finished off coffee and pasty and had a look at the local games shop before going on to see friends. while we waited for friends played the HPLHS Scary Solstice CD. Played a game where you tried to build a rocket in the Victorian era and get it launched.

Also Bloody Inn where you got people into an Inn and then tried to bump them off for money and bury them before the police investigated. The police are often guests so.

We had a quite brutal game of Judge Dredd that much to my surprise I ended up winning by three points. Block Mania, Edwin Parsey and moving the crime away worked very effectively for all of us.

I also won Apples to Apples which was fun. Finished off with a game where you tried to construct rides in an amusement park. The scoring is a little bit odd but it was fine.

Finished there as I had to get home and despite the effort of a trespasser on a nearby station I got home before midnight. Dinner was a fillet tower from Kentucky Fried Chicken my first visit there since before Christmas.

And one friend gave me my birthday and Christmas presents which were Series 2 and 3 of Fargo.

and I have borrowed Plutarch's Lives of the Greeks and Romans to read and John Wicke to watch. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jury duty was today. After waiting in the hallway for a longish time, we were brought into the court room for the Judge to thank us for our service, and that the (criminal) case had ended in a plea bargain, so we were being released. In theory, I shouldn't be called again for at least the next 18 months, but I firmly expect to be called sometime around the 2 year mark.

12 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Jury duty was today. After waiting in the hallway for a longish time, we were brought into the court room for the Judge to thank us for our service, and that the (criminal) case had ended in a plea bargain, so we were being released. In theory, I shouldn't be called again for at least the next 18 months, but I firmly expect to be called sometime around the 2 year mark.

I hope I get lucky on Tuesday.

• 3 weeks later...

While waiting on responses to sent resumes I have been getting a couple projects done.

Made a riser for the couch though need to make a pair of drawers for it and then got it in my head to make an extra stair for the loft.e lo

The loft is barely big enough for the mattress, so this make it possible for my wife to have a place to put books on her side of the bed.  Will probably make a nightstand sort of thing for her side.  At Ikea, found this doll house that will work for my side of the bed.

couch_riser.jpg

nightstand.jpg

Still on vacation, but we had a four-star day today.   High point -- but not the most improbable positive juxtaposition of the day -- better than my design, because I hadn't known it was even possible until less than a week earlier.

Grand Canyon National Park, Mather Point, not too long after 9 AM.

California.

Freaking.

Condor.

Words fail me.

I'll be back on a regular basis this weekend, unless the truly massive karmic overdraft of this whole vacation catches up with me before then.  (And if that occurs, I know what I want to be in my next life: a raven on the South Rim at Grand Canyon.)

Just a minor thing.

Have been recording in the diary my progress on the Candy Crush, Candy Crush Soda, Farm Heroes and Diamond Digger games since the start of the year. Have now completed 100 straight days getting at least one level in one of the games and have over 500 levels altogether since January 1st. The only day I did not get a level was when i was visiting friends in Reading.