The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

You could see Uranus with a telescope that small, but finding it would be rather difficult except in unusual circumstances (really good charts, with the planet not far from an easily-identified object).  If conditions are adverse (or the telescope is in bad shape) you may have trouble identifying it because its disk is of modest angular diameter.  Not impossible, but you'd have a better chance with a serviceable 20cm 'scope.

• 2 months later...

Just got home from lunch with bro D.. We went to Bastard Burgers down on Byxtorget ("Pant's Square" -- don't ask), that serve American street food with a Swedish touch. As usual, I had their New Texas burger ("Bastard barbecue. Smoked bacon, red onion, lettuce, double cheddar, Fire & Flames BBQ sauce, and chipotle dressing") with a side of their sweet potato fries and BB's original dip sauce.

Three perfect bites in one meal? Yes please!

One of the trick or treaters had a small existential crisis when I handed him Skittles instead of Kit-Kat* with his Hot Wheels car. “That’s my sister’s favorite candy.” Crisis was averted by swapping the offending item.

For everyone else so far, they’ve been happy with their loot.

*Full-size bars. It’s a little difficult to find my house, so those who do are rewarded.

I took up cycling again in July, after not riding for decades. I had really forgotten how much I enjoyed it. The first ride was 10 miles, and I felt it. Last Friday I rode a 30 mile interval in 2 1/4 hours. I've ridden 812 miles in the last 4 months. I'm also down 10lbs since the summer. Sometimes it doesn't feel like it's me doing this, but I sure am enjoying it.

Just wanted to share.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 7:50 PM, aylwin13 said:

I took up cycling again in July, after not riding for decades. I had really forgotten how much I enjoyed it. The first ride was 10 miles, and I felt it. Last Friday I rode a 30 mile interval in 2 1/4 hours. I've ridden 812 miles in the last 4 months. I'm also down 10lbs since the summer. Sometimes it doesn't feel like it's me doing this, but I sure am enjoying it.

Just wanted to share.

I've been practicing with the bokken lately myself. Congrats on the weight loss!

Me, I got a new laptop and printer yesterday.

On 11/11/2019 at 2:28 PM, Cancer said:

Here in the land that Eli Whitney and Sam Colt built, the stick is back down on the priority list a bit.  :straight:

Don’t look down on the power of a good stick. 
  Once upon a time when I was working nights and sleeping days I woke up to the sound of someone letting themselves in my front door.  I jumped up and grabbed the business end of a pool cue I kept next to the bed.  I charged down the hall at full speed screaming obscenities at the top of my lungs and smashing the cue against the walls. 

You never saw a Century 21 lady and two prospective buyers of my apartment building run so fast in your life.....did I mention I was naked?

14 minutes ago, Tjack said:

Don’t look down on the power of a good stick. 
  Once upon a time when I was working nights and sleeping days I woke up to the sound of someone letting themselves in my front door.  I jumped up and grabbed the business end of a pool cue I kept next to the bed.  I charged down the hall at full speed screaming obscenities at the top of my lungs and smashing the cue against the walls. 

You never saw a Century 21 lady and two prospective buyers of my apartment building run so fast in your life.....did I mention I was naked?

Are you sure it was the stick that scared them away? :rofl:

I kid, I kid! Did they ever come back?

7 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

Are you sure it was the stick that scared them away? :rofl:

I kid, I kid! Did they ever come back?

Well, I’m Irish so it was a pool cue and half a stick.

She never came back to my apt. but I’m really, really sure she never went into somebody’s home without calling ahead or knocking again.

12 hours ago, tkdguy said:

IIRC, they're supposed to call ahead of time. Maybe she got permission from the current owner, but all the tenants should have been informed.

They are, and she had permission from the owner, but he didn’t want the tenants to know he wanted to sell the place.

She unfortunately had the reason for the rule about calling ahead driven home....so to speak.

On a serious note, this was a bad building in a bad neighborhood.  If they just walked in on my downstairs neighbor (the biker/meth dealer) they could’ve gotten shot instead of scared.  I had a good reason to keep a pool cue by the bed.